PDA

View Full Version : Price of Walnut in Pennsylvania?

Bob Parker
11-09-2008, 3:01 PM
Just out of curiosity how much on average does walnut go for in PA? (heart of walnut country) I'm in Memphis where its around $5 a bf depending on grade.

Larry Fox
11-09-2008, 5:44 PM
When I buy it I tend to buy 8/4 9+" wide FAS which is $7.05 bd-ft at Hearne Hardwoods. While this may seem like a lot you need to keep in mind that this is REALLY nice air-dried stuff with a tremendous yield. Last two boards I bought yielded almost 100%.

Frank Drew
11-09-2008, 5:52 PM
Larry, do you regularly resaw for your thinner stock?

Bob, I can't help you on Pa. pricing but I sold some very nice walnut earlier in the year -- I gave a friend a very good price but strangers paid around $4-5/bf, depending on size, and I felt that they were getting a good deal considering the quality and age of the material.

Wes Bischel
11-09-2008, 7:49 PM
Bob,

This small mill has walnut for $1-$5 bf depending on grade etc. Though select pieces would be higher.

http://www.hollistersawmill.com/index.html

FYI,
Wes

Russ Sears
11-09-2008, 9:06 PM
Here's one of my favorites PA suppliers:http://groffslumber.com/
There's a link to his price sheet on the home page. They happen to be local to me and are great to deal with.

Larry Fox
11-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Larry, do you regularly resaw for your thinner stock?

yes - I typically resaw to ~3/4" to get good matches and such.

Mike Henderson
11-10-2008, 1:46 AM
I don't remember what I paid for the last walnut I bought here in CA but the stuff is terrible. I went through almost a whole pallet to get boards for a table and I really wasn't satisfied with what I got - and I was the first to go through the pallet - it wasn't like other people had picked over the wood. I envy you being able to find good walnut at less than $10/bf.

Mike

scott spencer
11-10-2008, 4:54 AM
We drove to Shinglehouse, PA last spring and paid ~ $2.50 bf for 5/4" roughsawn FAS walnut. I believe that was special pricing.