PDA

View Full Version : electrical code question

Craig D Peltier
11-09-2008, 1:56 PM
Does anyone know if a cutout for a an outlet in the back of a cabinet must have a extension box that comes out to the cabinet back and then covered with a outlet plate? If yes would that be nationwide or such a question should be asked about washington?

MCfeelys sells this rectangular ring that fits around the cutout to dress it up. I figure if they sold this then maybe its not a code.I was told, " I think it is a code so I always do it"

Jim Becker
11-09-2008, 2:33 PM
I don't know about the code situation, but if this is a built-in, it makes good sense to extend the box properly and cap inside of the cabinet with a plate.

Craig D Peltier
11-09-2008, 4:17 PM
I don't know about the code situation, but if this is a built-in, it makes good sense to extend the box properly and cap inside of the cabinet with a plate.
I always have but its a pain in the you know what. My thought on having to bridge the gap is so no air passes in between the back of cabinet and the wall , thus not creating fuel for a fire.

Sonny Edmonds
11-09-2008, 7:18 PM
..but it kinda sounds like you want to make a hole in a cabinet, back it up to a wall with an outlet, and plug in stuff (DVD, whatever).
If that is the case, no sweat. It isn't any different than poking in a plug and sliding the cabinet close to the wall.

If you want the cabinet permanently built to the wall, then extend the handy box and move the outlet out to be a permanent part of the back wall of the cabinet.

What the deal is, is you don't want some jury rigged outlet with connections hanging out in the air off the back of a cabinet or anything else. The box is to assure nobody comes in contact with normally energised parts.
Or where something might cause the wires and terminals to short out and spark and cause a fire.
So you want the integtrity of the box-outlet-coverplate maintained.
If that means a box extender, then that might be best.
You might want to concider a surge protector outlet strip and just have a tail out the back of your cabinet to plug in, and the convinence of the strip inside the cabinet. That way if the cabinet gets moved, the tail allows for flex a bility. ;)