PDA

View Full Version : what gouge part 2

curtis rosche
11-09-2008, 1:00 PM
so it looks like from the other thread, the ideal thing to get would be, a thompson 1/2'' V flute gouge, made from the v10 steel?

Steve Schlumpf
11-09-2008, 1:03 PM
Curtis - just my opinion - but I think you would be very happy with that gouge as it would be able to do everything from roughing out to super fine cuts!

curtis rosche
11-09-2008, 1:03 PM
the $53 v gouge, based on his site? does that come with a handle?

Alan Trout
11-09-2008, 6:28 PM
No handle but it lets you make exactly what you want. I think you will love the Thompson 1/2"V gouge.

Good Luck

Alan

curtis rosche
11-09-2008, 7:19 PM
will the cam lock handle from serious lathes, fit this gouge?

Scott Conners
11-09-2008, 8:58 PM
Yep, it would. It's high on my list, as well as another 1/2" gouge (U to complement my V)

Cyril Griesbach
11-10-2008, 9:40 AM
You're on to a great gouge and if you want a great handle but don't want to make your own go here and consider the one bored 1/2" on one end and 3/8" or 5/8" on the other end. Dave Peebles is a great guy.

http://www.bowlturner.com/

Another maker of nice handles is Dennis Yoder in Florida but I don't know if he's on this site or not. I bought a handle from Dennis at IndyFest this fall and I really like his as well.

These local handle producers are usually priced under the big names in the turning catalogs and their handles are just as good.

I've made lots of handles myself but I prefer these styles as they are easier to travel with since you can separate the tool and the handle, use gouges with different grinds in the same handle and many other reasons.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Curtis I have the V and bought the U to compliment each other. I bought the Dave Peebles handles and they are great. They are hefty, well built and really nice feel to them.

Dick Strauss
11-10-2008, 3:59 PM
Curtis,
I would also like to suggest Dave Peebles handles. They are made from aluminum and are well made (especially given the price). He offers them in single-ended and double-ended versions. I plan to buy two double-ended handles...one with 3/8"+1/2" and the other with 1/2"+5/8" when I see him at our next meeting.

Dave is a great guy and is a friend of mine!

David Peebles
11-11-2008, 1:27 AM
Hi Curtis,

I have six of the 1/2" V tools from Doug. :) I bought most of them to teach classes. They are my go to gouges. Terrific tools at any price.

As for handles, you can make your own easily. I believe Doug has a tutorial on his site for doing just that. I think it is by Ron M.

Also, those Serious tool handles are just killer!! I saw them at the AAW Symposium this past year. I even sent a friend of mine down to their booth.

The handles I make are pretty simple. You could probably do them yourself. It is just a sideline for me, but I have gotten some great feedback from my fellow turners. Thanks Guys!!

If you would like some tips on making your own, just shoot me an email.

Best wishes,
Dave

curtis rosche
11-11-2008, 2:22 PM
thanks for the info david, and cyril

Don Orr
11-11-2008, 4:47 PM
I love mine and Randy P. is a member here I believe. Well made and comfortable.