PDA

View Full Version : Planer decision

John Pennisi
11-09-2008, 10:16 AM
So, now for the planer. My decision is between the Dewalt DW735 (to which I would add the Byrd spiral head) or the Grizzly G0453Z with spiral head. Aside from brand differences, the main factors for me are the Griz is 3 HP while the Dewalt is only 2 (prefer the added power), the Griz is 15" while the Dewalt is 13". Based on my estimates the Griz would end up costing only slightly more than the Dewalt with the added Byrd head. The added power and size of the Griz is appealing but I've also heard/read great things about the DW735 setup with the Byrd. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Clay Crocker
11-09-2008, 12:07 PM
John,

I have a DW735 that I bought back at the end of 2004. I have added infeed/outfeed tables, the Dewalt planer stand, and most recently the the shelix cutter head. It has been a good machine and with the shelix I might start to think it is great (only time will tell). With that said, if I was starting from scratch today, I would have to give serious consideration to the G0453Z since it would cost about the same amount of money as duplicating my current setup with the Dewalt.

I would hazard to guess that the G0453Z is a lot more machine for the money than the DW735 with a shelix. The induction motor on the Griz vs. the universal motor on the Dewalt could be a lot more valuable in the long run depending on how much you intend to use the machine. Just my 2 cents.

Clay

Dave Verstraete
11-09-2008, 3:51 PM
John
You are looking at two of the same machines that I purchased a while ago. The reason I bought the Grizzly jointer was my good impression of the G0453Z planer. I have never owned the DW735 planer but I have looked at them before. The Grizzly G0453Z planer is a much larger machine (massive compared to the DW735). I think it weighs 600+ lbs. It felt more than that when it went into my basement! Remember that it is 220V.

scott spencer
11-09-2008, 4:31 PM
You're comparing a portable with a stationary machine. The Griz is a more substantial machine, but depending on what your needs are, I suspect the DW with the Byrd head will give smoother results. Keep in mind the Griz is considered a lifetime machine with normal maintenance...portables aren't. I'd get the Griz and save for an upgraded head later. This is sort of analogous to comparing a contractor saw an industrial cabinet saw.

Rick Fisher
11-09-2008, 6:58 PM
Those two are apples and oranges. The Grizzly is a stationary heavy duty planer. The motors arent comparable. The motor on the Grizzly likely weighs what the whole Dewalt machine weighs.

Having said that, if you plan on taking it to work with you. The Grizz will need a trailer hitch.. :)

If its going to sit in your shop, at your disposal, the Grizzly is a better machine.

John Pennisi
11-09-2008, 7:21 PM
I am still in the process of making this decision and any additional suggestions are still welcome. I am leaning towards the Grizzly for numerous reasons but mainly for the added power and width. I understand the Dewalt planer is a portable and the Griz a stationary, and since this will be my dedicated shop planer for years to come, I am favoring the latter. That said I have experience with the Dewalt and would have to say I think it's one of the heftier portables and for that reason seems more geared for heavy use over a long period of time, if that makes any sense. :)

guy knight
11-09-2008, 9:05 PM
one will serve you for a few years one will last for many years to come

Bruce Wrenn
11-09-2008, 9:18 PM
Here, Lowes has bumped 735 to $649, but HD is still $549. Do a price match, less 10% at Lowes, and if you are vet, get an additional 10% off through Tuesday. Brings price to about $445+ tax.

Robyn Horton
11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
With a price match from Sears of $499 Can and a $75 credit on a power tool purchase of over $400 Home Depots price was $424 Can , with the US exchange (26%) in brings it down to about $336 US for a new 735