PDA

View Full Version : Planer Advice

Ken Klingler
11-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I stumbled across this forum while doing some research for a portable planer. Given the useful information I gained from reading the member feedback, I thought I would post my questions in hopes of getting some informed advice.

I have narrowed my search down to the Dewalt DW735 and the Delta 22-580.

If I were to go the Dewalt route, I would most likely get a reconditioned planer, but based on the number of DW735 owners with dull blade issues, this does not seem like a smart choice. I've learned you can get HSS or Carbide replacement blades from Infinity or a Shelix replacement head, but this brings the cost of ownership for this tool up to a questionable level in my opinion. The extension tables are also extra. If it's just a matter of the steel Dewalt is using for their knives, you would think they could solve this problem. Is this issue possibly related to a design flaw? Is a 3-knife cutterhead at this pricepoint just not feasible? Are the blades too thin to hold a sharp edge? What's the reason behind this issue? I'm hoping someone on this forum has the real answer.

The Delta 22-580 seemed to have generally favorable reviews, good blade life and a cast of loyal owners singing its praises. On paper, the DW735 looks like the better planer, but owner feedback would suggest otherwise.

I hope to get some good advice from you seasoned wood veterans to help me with this decision.

Thanks,
Ken

Dave Sweeney
11-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I've had a DW735 for a number of years and have not experienced the "problem" with dulling blades that some have. The biggest reason I believe this is so is because I only take off a very small amount on each pass. I'm not saying that those who have had problems are trying to hog off too much material on each pass but I am saying that my way has worked out for me.

One of my least favorite things to do in the shop is change blades and knives on my tools. The DW735's knife turning/replacement is a breeze to do. I doubt if it takes more than 5 minutes to change out all three knives.

Ken Klingler
11-09-2008, 1:56 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback! It's good to hear that some DW735 owners are experiencing good blade life.

Ken

Jon Grider
11-09-2008, 8:25 PM
My DW735 is about 3 1/2 years old and the knives haven't seemed to dull prematurely. Like Dave, I take small cuts, and try to avoid feeding knotty boards into the machine which, we all know is easier said than done. Overall,for a lunch box planer, it has worked pretty well. I was just in the big blue store today and noticed the price was $699. That's a couple of hundred bucks more than I paid for mine and more than it's worth imo. The blue store by me, however always seems to have higher prices than other members here have at their blue stores. When everyone else reported fire sales on Bessey K bodies, my store reduced them 5 dollars.

Ken Klingler
11-09-2008, 8:55 PM
Jon. Thanks for the feedback! HD has the DW735 for $549 and Lowe's has it for $664. If I go with this planer, I will probably purchase a refurbished unit.

Bruce Wrenn
11-09-2008, 9:21 PM
Jon. Thanks for the feedback! HD has the DW735 for $549 and Lowe's has it for $664. If I go with this planer, I will probably purchase a refurbished unit.Do a price match at Lowes, and if you are a vet, get an additional 10% off through Tuesday. Brings price to about $445+ tax.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-10-2008, 9:36 AM
That's a good price for this planer! See if you can also find one of the "project starter" cards that Lowes sends out.

One the dull blade issue....there werre a lot of those comments when this planer first came out in 2004 (-ish). From what I've read, it seems like recently the problem is a non-problem, and people have been happy with it. I have not done a lot of milling with mine, but enough to know that it does a good job. And that it's VERY loud.