View Full Version : changing out a planer head.

Karl Brogger
11-08-2008, 7:42 PM
I've got a powermatic 15" planer. Its got the knives that wrap around on the head. Due to not being able to find someone to sharpen the knives I'd like to swap out the head. Any one know the cost a new head? I couldn't find anything on the Powermatic website. I found the part numbers but that was all.

I'd assume the head would work, as they sell the machine both ways.

Alan Schaffter
11-08-2008, 8:04 PM
I've got a powermatic 15" planer. Its got the knives that wrap around on the head. Due to not being able to find someone to sharpen the knives I'd like to swap out the head. Any one know the cost a new head? I couldn't find anything on the Powermatic website. I found the part numbers but that was all.

I'd assume the head would work, as they sell the machine both ways.

Karl, if your 15" PM is a newer, typical four poster Chiwanese clone then I would go with a Byrd Shelix ($795 for a PM). I had one on my 15" Delta and loved it. MUCH quieter, better cut, and zero tearout. It is a bit of a pain to swap, but if you are at all mechanically inclined and follow the instructions with pics on the Byrd website ( coincidentally it is a PM15 (http://www.byrdtool.com/generic1520.html)) you can do it. I'm saving up for one for my 20"

Is your Hobie stored for the winter? It was 72+ here today and I thought about going sailing!

Karl Brogger
11-08-2008, 8:17 PM
Is your Hobie stored for the winter? It was 72+ here today and I thought about going sailing!

Screw you Allen! :D Cold and crappy here. Will be for the next 7 months:mad:

Yikes, $800 is a bit more to chew than I'd like. for that kind of money I might as well sell it, and buy something with the Byrd head from the get go. Or used. Tough finding a 20" planer that isn't 3ph, at least out of a commercial shop.

Karl Brogger
11-08-2008, 8:21 PM
but if you are at all mechanically inclined and follow the instructions with pics on the Byrd website ( coincidentally it is a PM15 (http://www.byrdtool.com/generic1520.html)) you can do it.

By the looks of it, gotta tear it down to almost nothing. Looks like a pain.

Alan Schaffter
11-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Screw you Allen! :D Cold and crappy here. Will be for the next 7 months:mad:

Yikes, $800 is a bit more to chew than I'd like. for that kind of money I might as well sell it, and buy something with the Byrd head from the get go. Or used. Tough finding a 20" planer that isn't 3ph, at least out of a commercial shop.

You might be able to get a used journal, since allot of folks have installed Shelix heads and can't unload their straight blade journals.

I have a 20" planer, just want to upgrade it with a Shelix head. The planer, in great shape, cost me a song (about half the cost of a new 15"!! :D)

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC140058.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=17330&size=big&cat=&ppuser=489

Alan Schaffter
11-09-2008, 12:09 AM

Yup. It will be so much easier to drop one in my 20" :D:D

Fred Hargis
11-09-2008, 8:25 AM
You might be able to get a used journal, since allot of folks have installed Shelix heads and can't unload their straight blade journals.

I have a 20" planer, just want to upgrade it with a Shelix head. The planer, in great shape, cost me a song (about half the cost of a new 15"!! :D)

The used journal is a great idea....a lot folks of that have upgraded would be willing to sell the old one. Try placing a WTB in some of the forum classifieds.....I'll bet you get several responses.

Mike Heidrick
11-09-2008, 9:21 AM
It was 72+ here today and I thought about going sailing!

These are the quotes I love and why I very rarely donate to hurricane fund drives. Enjoy it and keep plenty of sheet goods on hand for next year - for your windows.

Also, read up on your planer before lifting it again like that. May have lifting points so you don't have to lift it by the head!

Alan Schaffter
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
These are the quotes I love and why I very rarely donate to hurricane fund drives. Enjoy it and keep plenty of sheet goods on hand for next year - for your windows.

Also, read up on your planer before lifting it again like that. May have lifting points so you don't have to lift it by the head!

I spent a LONG, VERY COLD winter in Illinois, once.

Karl Brogger
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Illinois gets cold?:D

Rob Diz
11-10-2008, 9:43 AM

I have also been thinking about getting the Byrd head for my 15 inch grizz (generic 4 post planer). With the Griz pricing for the Byrd head $595, and the 25% Microsoft cashback via Ebay, it is almost "cheap". But then I took a look at the directions to install. Holy cow. Getting that done right would take me more than a few hours, and the chances of screwing things up (i.e. gears or bearings) seemed too high to me to risk it.

My tools live by the motto of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", beyond the regular oiling and sharpenings. My planer ain't broke.

If I have any really really curly wood that is tearing out with sharp blades, I'll go to a Drum sander. I'll take the money I'm saving by not buying the Byrd head and get a used performax 16/32.

I'm a hobbyist with small kids and limited time in the shop. I don't have the time to mess with installing a new head. If it really is that special, then I'm sure I will be pushed to do this later. But I have lots on my "to do" list, and the Byrd head, while cool and worthy, is just not on the top of my time/money list.

Mike Spanbauer
11-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Lol Karl,

Yeah, but (not knowing where exactly Northfield is in MN) probably not *as* cold. Spent the first decade of my life in Rockford, which is just about as far North as you can go before you hit WI. and I'm STILL thawing out 25 years later. Those winters were brutal... and in the days before Goretex and other waterproof materials... well, let's just say I don't miss those winters ;)

The Byrd head is an amazing piece of work, really. But, it's not cheap for sure. I paid significantly less for my 20" planer than my byrd head. Still WELL worth it though. However, as has been noted you shouldn't have much trouble located a 15" head in great shape out of a machine that was also upgraded. If you had a 20" unit, I'd dang near give you mine just to get it out of the shop.

Post a note at a few of the WW forums sites in the classifieds, you'll get a hit I'm certain... and they weigh a chunk so be prepared to eat a few $$$ on shipping.

mike

R Mousel
11-11-2008, 5:04 PM
sent a PM