PDA

View Full Version : OT: For Dish Network subscribers

Ken Garlock
05-28-2004, 2:24 PM
I just discovered last night that the Dish network is now broadcasting 61 channels of SIRIUS satellite radio. And, the best part is that it is free for those signed up for the 120 channel and up packages.

I listened for about an hour last night and found it to be much better quality than the "CD" music channels. There is a lot more presence to me, the surround sound kicks in nicely.

Check channels 6001 through 6099. You can also get a print-out of what the various channels carry on the Dish website.

Disclaimer: I have been a Dish subscriber since the first year they were on the air. I don't own any stock in the company.

Just a happy user.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-30-2004, 8:28 PM
Evenin' Ken,

This may sound like a stupid question, but, I'd like to know if you have trouble with reception when there are storms around?

Thanks, in advanced,

Bruce

John Shuk
05-30-2004, 8:58 PM
I have to say that I switched from Dish to Direct and I miss my Dish Network. I think the interface is smoother and It seem my picture was better. I switched because I wanted to add a couple of sets and Direct had a good deal going and I upgraded to a TIVO for less than I would have paid for the recievers I would have gotten. Not to mention the labor of installing the lines. Dish wouldn't match the deal. I would say that as a new sat user a person would be happier with Dish network though. IMHO.
John

Ken Garlock
05-30-2004, 9:21 PM
Evenin' Ken,

This may sound like a stupid question, but, I'd like to know if you have trouble with reception when there are storms around?

Thanks, in advanced,

Bruce

Hi Bruce. The simple answer is Yes. The dishnetwork satellites are just about over Los Angles, and my being in North Texas means that I must look in a southwest direction to find the sat. When a heavy storm comes from the west I will experience about 10-15 minutes outage. The receiver gives you a little placard that says it has lost the satellite. When the rain intensity decreases, it automatically re-locks and you are back to the program you were watching. The loss of signal is strictly a function of the intensity of the storm and how fast it is moving though my area. The average summer rain shower has no affect on the signal, only the frog-chokers put you out for a time. Outside of the rain outages, there are not other outages, something the cable systems can not say. In addition, I get all my local TV stations through the satellite, I don't own a standard TV antenna....

BTW, there are no stupid questions. Someone once told me that stupid is to the bone, ignorance can be cured with education ;) But, some how it sounds worse to call someone ignorant than to call them stupid, or maybe that is my impression.....

I hope this helps :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-31-2004, 3:31 PM
Thanks for your info. I have Direct TV and at the "Drop of a raindrop" we start losing stations. I was sure that it was due to the receiver not being able to pick up a signal through all the trangent noise caused by a storm, but wanted to confirm it.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Ken Garlock
05-31-2004, 4:25 PM
Thanks for your info. I have Direct TV and at the "Drop of a raindrop" we start losing stations. I was sure that it was due to the receiver not being able to pick up a signal through all the trangent noise caused by a storm, but wanted to confirm it.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Bruce, if your system is that sensitive to rain, I think I would get the antenna re-aimed. You might be just of the edge of looking at the "bird" and any little disturbance knocks you off the air. Just a thought....

Michael Perata
05-31-2004, 6:11 PM
I have the Dishnetwork in the S.F. Bay Area.

When it is stormy, I might lose the signal for a couple of seconds, annoying, but not disruptive.

I have a Comcast feed for the local HDTV channels and lose the signal ALL the time.

Now if Dishnetwork could get the local HDTV channels (cable lobbying against it) and the PVR 921 was available I would be a real happy camper, er, viewer.