PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstruck !!

Walt Caza
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi All,
I got a chance to see AC/DC live in Detroit a couple nights ago.
The Aussie band has not toured in 8 yrs. They still put on a powerful show.
Plenty of theatrics and great rock music.
From the Hell's Bells big bell, to the coffee grinder guitar solo and the finale canons...everything was fabulous.

They first blew me away when I was 15, and made quite an impression.
If you like their huge catalog of music, I can wholeheartedly suggest you catch their Black Ice tour.
The guys are getting kinda old to still rock so hard.
If you like'em, catch'em while you can... I don't know if there will be another chance.

Arena rock as good as it gets. They sold out quickly.
They played so many hits, I lost count.
Oh, and original drummer Phil Rudd is back too, which was nice.
take it easy,
Walt

Jim Becker
11-08-2008, 4:23 PM
A good show is nice to see from these bands that got their start long ago.

I'm curious...tell us about how you perceived the demographics of the audience. A lot of folks "like you"?

Greg Peterson
11-08-2008, 6:36 PM
Saw them on their last tour, many moons ago now. The playlist was impressive. Even though they were touring on their new album at the time they only played a song or two, if memory serves correct. The rest of the show was a rock-n-roll hall of fame catalog of AC/DC songs for the true AC/DC connoisseur.

Won't be able to catch them on this tour as they are not coming to Portland, at least on this leg. Perhaps they'll take a break and give the west coast another shot next year before ending the tour.

Jim - The audience of the show I saw seven or eight years ago was pretty diverse.

I still prefer the Bon Scott songs. What a match that was.

glenn bradley
11-08-2008, 7:03 PM
http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/headbang.gif Dude, you rock http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/headbang.gif Did you scream "Angussss" at the top of your lungs. What a blast.

Joe Petersen
11-09-2008, 1:12 PM
I too have been a fan since I was very young. I saw them at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater when I was in the Air Force. The outdoor venue made for a no limits explosive finally that was truly unforgettable.

I have started another generation of fan in my 11 year old son and would love to take him to the show when they come to town but doesn't look good.

John Shuk
11-09-2008, 1:44 PM
AC/DC was one of the first records I ever owned. I wasted a lot of teenage years listening to them. Sounds like a great show.

Walt Caza
11-09-2008, 7:26 PM
Hi Again,
and thanks for your enthusiasm!

Jim, your question is intuitive and spot-on.
I have never been to a concert with such a diverse age group.
Plenty of 10 yr olds right through to many over 60 yrs old.
It felt more like a busy shopping mall, if you judged by the crowd.

The paper said the Detroit show sold out in 12 min. flat.
We had great seats, and were maybe 6 feet from the lead singer and lead guitar at times.
He shook many hands, and lots of fist bumps from Brian Johnson.
He sang pretty well considering he turned 61 last month.
And swung around crazily on the big bell too!

The sound, fury and energy was still a knock-out.
Pretty amazing, since they started in 1973, and lost wild frontman Bon Scott in 1980.
They pleased the crowd with tons of old classics.
I wore out Back and Black as an early teen. First on vinyl, then cassette, and now on CD.
Being a rock drummer myself, for nearly 30 yrs, I was amused
to notice no ride cymbol on the kit, just really solid bricklaying and tons of highhat.

I tried to take my earplugs out for Shoot to Thrill, but had to pop them back in immediately.
It was my third time to catch them, and they snapped our necks all over again.
fantastic, frenetic and fun!
Walt

Joe Petersen
11-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I just checked on the tickets in ATL. The nosebleed starts at $138-Wow! I guess we'll be missing this show. You can buy floor tickets in packs of 4 for the low-low of $9800.