PDA

View Full Version : Question on glue up of 70" round

Craig D Peltier
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi, Im going to be building a 70" round table out of 4/4 rock maple. The top will have an inlay as well of walnut in the sahpe of a circle 3" wide.
I have available to me a 48" wide sander and a 38" planer.

My plan so far is to take some staggered boards that are face jointed and planed one side, glue them up to 70" round but leaving one center glue joint dry.
Then split apart at dry glue line , after done gluing take it to be sanded on the 48" sander to my desired thickness. Then take it back here, glue it up and cut circle and sand that glue line with a palm sander. Does this sound good?
After its all glued up, it will be brought to a C&C router that only can take a 48" wide piece.He plans on making a template of half of it, lay it out on table twice , tape template down, and rout out the table inlay (dadoe). Then make an opposite tempate and rout out half of each inlay ( which is a circle), so he will be doing both exercises twice to make a full circle. Both templates made by computer for accuracy. Once inlayed I will sand flat by hand.

Does this all sound good? and quickest way.

This isnt a hobby so I dont have alot of time to make this, it just must work. The top will then be laid over a 45" square top with a square inlay. Then the mother table will be a 45x96 with rectangular inlay. So the 45 square can butt to the 45x96 to make one long time at big dinners. Bases are plus shaped out of 8/4 walnut.

Thanks

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2008, 11:53 AM
To cut the circle, you can use a router on a trammel arm. It gives a nice consistent circle. You can just finish-sand it and you're done. You can also use the router and trammel arm to excavate for the inlay. You anchor the trammel at the same pivot as when you cut the outside edge. You get an accurate circle, and it is exactly centered within the outside circle. You can't pull the router in to cut the inner few inches of the excavation, but a handplane makes short work of it.

Craig D Peltier
11-09-2008, 9:39 AM
To cut the circle, you can use a router on a trammel arm. It gives a nice consistent circle. You can just finish-sand it and you're done. You can also use the router and trammel arm to excavate for the inlay. You anchor the trammel at the same pivot as when you cut the outside edge. You get an accurate circle, and it is exactly centered within the outside circle. You can't pull the router in to cut the inner few inches of the excavation, but a handplane makes short work of it.
I think I will stick to a C&C machine for the inlay, guaranteed accuracy, no fussing with inlay not fitting or veering out in a way that it must be filled..
Thanks for talking about trammel, thats what I was going to use.
I was more questioning my steps takens to get it to be a glued up 70 inch round single piece that is surfaced. Then the procedure of the inlay to see if there might of been a better way.

Steve Jenkins
11-10-2008, 8:17 AM
My only thought is why mess with gluing up the whole 70" leaving the center joint dry. I'd just glue up two panels about 35-1/2 or so.

Craig D Peltier
11-11-2008, 9:50 AM
My only thought is why mess with gluing up the whole 70" leaving the center joint dry. I'd just glue up two panels about 35-1/2 or so.

I guess essentially I would end up doing it that way after starting the act of the glue up.
Thanks