PDA

View Full Version : face frame door overlay

Greg McCallister
11-08-2008, 7:07 AM
Ok I was wondering in your honest opinion - what overlay do you use for cabinet doors? (2" face frames, rail and style door)
I realize that this might be more of a personal preference but what is more pleasing to the eye in your opinion?
1/2", 3/4" 1 1/4"...
Looks like 1/2" is maybe a basic standard. Do you use the same overlay from side to side as well as top to bottom?
Also does the overlay have any effect on durability or other possible problems?

Jay Brewer
11-08-2008, 7:42 AM
Hi Greg, I use 1/2" all the way around, really depends on your hinge selection, but the Blum hinges and backplate combination that I use gives me 1/2" overlay.

Russ Boyd
11-08-2008, 7:58 AM
Greg, I also use 1/2". Just my preference, I guess. I DO use it all the way around so as not to confuse the math when making doors/drawer fronts. Mistakes do happen and I'm a believer in reducing the odds. Russ

Al Navas
11-08-2008, 8:26 AM
Greg,

Another vote for 1/2-inch all the way around. The best way to accomplish it is with spacers you can anchor on the edge of the cabinet, or on one edge ofa face frame component. The attached photo (for a drawer - but the same applies to doors) shows a home made jig: 1/2-inch spacer attached with pocket screws at 90° to another piece of plywood - on both the wide of the drawer, and on the bottom.

Chip Lindley
11-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Greg! Most will agree on 1/2" overlay for doors and drawers using faceframe construction. The use of Full overlay hinges can create the illusion of frameless if so desired.

I make 1-3/4" faceframes and 1-1/4" mid rails between banks of drawers to create more usable space. The square inches all add up in today's downsized world!

Steve Clardy
11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I use 1/2 on everything. Doors and drawers.

Greg McCallister
11-10-2008, 5:22 AM
Thanks everyone!
I was thinking of going with 1/2" but ya know it never hurts to ask.
Hate to layout an entire kitchen and find out that I should of did something else.
Thanks again
Greg

Larry Prince
11-10-2008, 6:55 AM
The real question is how much face frame do you want exposed when the doors are closed?

The answer, of course, is all a matter of personal preference. My choice is for 2" face frames and Blum Compact 33 or 38N 1/2 overlay hinges. With 2-1/4" door frames, this leaves an amount of face frame exposed that is pleasing to my eye and, so far, has pleased all my customers.

You have to balance the width of the face frame, the overlay and the overall look with the doors closed.