PDA

View Full Version : Bombe Box

Mark Valsi
05-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Guys,

Here's a bombe style box I made for an 18 year old gal who just graduated from High School.

The wood is Walnut, with mitered corners and oil and wax finish. The lid is attached by brass hinges.

The Curves on the sides of the box are made on the table saw, by cutting slowly across on an angle, raising the blade about 1/16 each pass of the saw.

The top was a first for me; no sanding ! I used a plane. Wish i were better with a plane

criticism is welcomed

Roger Fitzsimonds
05-28-2004, 1:22 PM
WOW! Mark that is a fine looking box.
Did you cut the side like you would cove molding? Did you carve the medallion in the top. That is a really fine looking box.
Thanks for shareing.

Roger

John Miliunas
05-28-2004, 2:24 PM
Hey Mark, now that is pretty trick! :) You should give us low-enders a little tutorial on the how-to's of that. She should be one happy graduate! :cool:

Chris DiCiaccio
05-28-2004, 3:16 PM
Great looking box! Never tried anything like that----yet, but I sure like the lines in it. Thanks for showing it.

Chris Padilla
05-28-2004, 3:22 PM
Great piece, Mark. Did you cut the copes before or after the box glue up? It appears to be a before if I can read the pictures rights. I love the style...very nice job.

Dick Parr
05-28-2004, 4:27 PM
Very nice Mark!

Jack Wood
05-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Whats a "Bombe"?:confused:

Jack Wood
05-29-2004, 11:11 AM
PS It is really a nice job you did!:)

John Miliunas
05-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Whats a "Bombe"?:confused:

bomˇbé
[French, from bombe, bomb. See bomb.]

You know, like you see in the movies: "Pilot to bombardier. Open the bomb bay. Ready on my command!" :D

Seriously, in terms of furniture/woodworking, it's a style of curved or bulging outward. Yeah, kinda' like as if you had a squared off box and a bomb blew up inside, causing it to bulge out. ;) OK. I'll shut-up, now.... :rolleyes: :cool:

Mark Valsi
05-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.

I did sand the carcass. I planed only the top.

I mitered up the sides, and then did the cove cutting on the top part of the carcass, and just did a straight cut on the lower part. then lots of sanding !

Actuall, contrary to most pictures, this pic looks a little better than the box itself !!

Mark Valsi
05-29-2004, 12:17 PM
I forgot to add that the crest on the top was purchased from Rockler and just gued on

Jack Wood
05-29-2004, 1:45 PM
Still it's a very nice project Mark. Thanks for the french lesson John:D Man I've only been a member for less than a week and I'm already learning new things!:)

Mark Singer
05-29-2004, 2:10 PM
Mark,
Great box! It has a feel of integrety ....I want to touch it...it seems flat to the touch...sorry thats my lap top screen....