PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew Filtration Unit?

Stanley Waldrup
11-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have seen a few of them but never got a look at the insides. Anyone have any plans for a Home Brew Filtration Unit for inside use?
Stanley

Glenn Clabo
11-08-2008, 6:55 AM
Check out this...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-setup-29145/

Thought you were talking about beer.:o

Richard Rumancik
11-08-2008, 1:16 PM
Stanley, do you mean a purification unit for exhaust air?

I am all for DIY for some things, but if you want to try to make an air purificaton unit then use caution. The biggest problem is that it is really difficult to tell if it is working, and when the filters need changing. Most people won't have gas analyzers to tell if they are removing the toxic chemicals properly. Some people are forced to use these because of their building construction but exhausting to the outside is less risky. If you need to use one maybe you should consider a commercial unit. Sometimes used units come up for sale.

Stanley Waldrup
11-08-2008, 9:26 PM
When I was looking for a laser I went to a dealer in Ohio for a demo and he had a unit he had made to filter the air from the laser. It had a bunch of filters and a layer of charcoal. I wish I had paid a little more attention to the unit.
Stanley

Angus Hines
11-08-2008, 9:55 PM
I built one and will post pictures in a few minutes It's a simple acrylic chamber that I fill with basic charcoal briquettes (:eek:NON SELF LIGHTING:eek:)
It's simple its crude but it keeps the smell of acrylic gone.

Can't speak for any other chemicals that may still be passing through, I have it outside.

Angus Hines
11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Pictures for the masses

Yes they're leaves I haven't had it hooked up in a few dayz.

Rich Gunderson
01-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Angus,

I just stumbled across your photos of the charcoal filter that you built and it piqued my interest, as I am looking for a filter system right now. Mind if I pick your brain a little? (OK, a lot) :)

I have a bunch of questions:
1. What type of blower system are you running with the filter?
2. Do you still have sufficient CFM to keep the mirrors from collecting particulate matter?
3. What are the dimensions of the filter?
4. Do you prefilter to remove any of the residue that comes with cutting acrylic?
5. It appears that the charcoal has been crushed, is that correct?
6. It appears that the filter is downstream of the blower, is that correct?

We have a 45W Helix that we cut a lot of wood and acrylic on, and we are trying to find a way to control the odor as we get busier. I have looked into the commercial fume extractors and I would like to avoid the $4K expense if possible!

Thanks,

Rich

George Brown
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I built one that works very well, total price under $400, not including the blower, which was an old one that I was not using. Linear air flow through the laser is about 500 ft/min, fast enough to exhaust fumes. I cut wood mainly, lots of smoke, and it keeps the air inside perfect, I smell no smoke. I'll get the deails for you tonight and post it.

Marc Myer
01-27-2009, 6:14 PM
There was a thread on this some time ago. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=699330#poststop
Rob Bosworth gave instructions on a simple water-based filtration system. Has anyone tried it yet? Looks like a good and inexpensive plan.

Jim Watkins
01-28-2009, 1:43 PM
I built an actual cabinet which houses the air filter for particles, multiple carbon filters for oder control (available at lowes), and the blower unit itself. I lined the inside of the blower with sound absorbing material from home depot and now i can run without causing much noise, and I run a Harbor Freight blower which is really loud. But it seems to work well.

I'll take some photos when I get home and post.

Dave Fifield
03-16-2009, 6:19 AM
Angus - your file seems only to contain a dummy page (empty). I'm using Corel Draw X4, and your file says it's version 12, so there really shouldn't be any issue. Can anyone else open it and see if it's good please? I really like your idea Angus, and would like to make my own version of it. Any chance you could answer Rich's questions? These are pretty much the questions I have too!

George - any chance you could post your design too? The more the merrier!

Thanks,
Dave Fifield

Frank Corker
03-16-2009, 7:59 AM
Hey Angus, you really are the Mad Professor! Nice job. Dave is right, blank page on your CDR

Angus Hines
03-16-2009, 9:26 AM
Angus,

I just stumbled across your photos of the charcoal filter that you built and it piqued my interest, as I am looking for a filter system right now. Mind if I pick your brain a little? (OK, a lot) :)

I have a bunch of questions:
1. What type of blower system are you running with the filter?

Im using the Blower from Penn State Ind. 850 cfm

2. Do you still have sufficient CFM to keep the mirrors from collecting particulate matter?

Yes the flow is great.

3. What are the dimensions of the filter?

12" X 12" x 30"

4. Do you prefilter to remove any of the residue that comes with cutting acrylic?

Yes at the top of the filter there is a green scrubbie pad that catches the big stuff

5. It appears that the charcoal has been crushed, is that correct?

Yes it is crushed that was a first experiment....But I now use just regular charcoal < NOT MATCHLIGHT :eek: > I get better air flow and still have the same effectiveness.

6. It appears that the filter is downstream of the blower, is that correct?

That is correct it's the last thing that the exhaust sees before being released back into the atmosphere.

We have a 45W Helix that we cut a lot of wood and acrylic on, and we are trying to find a way to control the odor as we get busier. I have looked into the commercial fume extractors and I would like to avoid the $4K expense if possible!

Thanks,

Rich

Ok and here is the file that has something in it....LOL didnt realize it was an empty file.
Nothing is labeld in the file so if you have questions about a part just ask.