PDA

View Full Version : Yup - a nuther cutting board thread

Doug Shepard
11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
There have been a number of cutting board threads lately, no doubt inspired by the fact that there's less than 60 days til Christmas. I doubt I'll even get this idea started before Christmas but I've been kicking an idea around and wondered if anybody has seen any boards done this way (haven't found any). Here's my random thoughts:
Take square stock maybe 10-12" long and cut sliding DTs in the edges of alternating contrasting color species then glue up a strip of them to the length of a cutting board.
Then cut strips from those and cut additional sliding DTs in those and join up the strips offsetting the color blocks.
Ending up with a end-grain checkerboard with all the squares having DTs on the edges except no DTs on the outer perimeter.
This is just a half thought out idea I've been kicking around and wondered how it might look. Anybody seen any boards made with DTs like that?

Jay Jolliffe
11-08-2008, 6:43 AM
When you get one done I'd like to see it. I did see a large chopping block done with dove tails to hold the pieces together. I don't remember where I saw it. Online some where.

David Tiell
11-08-2008, 8:19 AM
My head is hurting trying to think that one through! Please post pics when you get it done, cuz it sounds really interesting!

Greg Cole
11-08-2008, 9:04 AM
Hey Fuzzy...errr Doug,
My parents have an ooooold end grain butcher block that has a maple top @ 16" thick. It's all sliding DT construction and I've always oogled over it and what a PITA it must have been to make. Different species mixed together will either really make the DT's stand out nicely or make it look a little busy. I find some of the end grain cutting board patterns to be a tad busy.
That said, if someone did it 100 years ago, me thinks you'll be able to do it as well.;)
Cheers.
Greg

Russell Tribby
11-08-2008, 9:52 AM
There have been a number of cutting board threads lately, no doubt inspired by the fact that there's less than 60 days til Christmas. I doubt I'll even get this idea started before Christmas but I've been kicking an idea around and wondered if anybody has seen any boards done this way (haven't found any). Here's my random thoughts:
Take square stock maybe 10-12" long and cut sliding DTs in the edges of alternating contrasting color species then glue up a strip of them to the length of a cutting board.
Then cut strips from those and cut additional sliding DTs in those and join up the strips offsetting the color blocks.
Ending up with a end-grain checkerboard with all the squares having DTs on the edges except no DTs on the outer perimeter.
This is just a half thought out idea I've been kicking around and wondered how it might look. Anybody seen any boards made with DTs like that?

Doug, I started on something like this and stopped. I've made a couple of bread boards with sliding dovetails and they turned out alright. I'll post some pics later on.

Doug Shepard
11-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I monkeyed around with SU for a rough sketch. I can think of 2 ways to do the DTs. One is forming them directly on the stock which would require a bit more planning to get the end square results coming out to the same size. The other is using DT splines which was way easier to draw for my crummy SU skills. Here's an example with just 5 1" squares at 12" long. But join these strips with DT splines, then cut them crosswise to the cutting board thickness (plus a bit extra for flattening/smoothing). Take those cut strips and arrange them side by side, alternating the colors, and put additional DT slot in the sides to join those rows up.
Just tossing ideas about.

Doug Shepard
11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Well I played around some more with SU doing a 5x5 grid with the DT splines. While it's sort of interesting, I'm not too sure I like the look so I'm not sure I'm going to pursue this.