PDA

View Full Version : Shingle Oak?

Joe Mioux
11-07-2008, 6:01 PM
Can it be turned?

I have some large chucks, but I am not sure it would be a successful turn.

Any advice is appreciated.

joe

Sean Troy
11-07-2008, 6:10 PM
Any wood can be turned and most will give you good results with sharp tools. At the very least, your gettinng good practice.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2008, 6:22 PM
Joe,

There was a guy in Texas who posted here a while back. Oak is about all he turned.

If shingle oak is like red oak. It can be turned. You'll have to sharpen your tools frequently. The oak that I've turned had been kiln dried and was hard. It had a lot of open pores to contend with when finishing. Other than that, it turned...just dulled tools quickly.

Chris Haas
11-07-2008, 8:06 PM
oak turns, must keep things sharp as previously stated, neat thing about oak is you can ebonize it with a mixture of regular kitchen vinegar and rusty nails or steel wool. basically get the vinegar good and rusty and rub it on the finished sanded piece, tanins in the oak react and it turns black.

havent done it yet, but have some vinegar rusting up right now for the next oportunity i get.

Joe Mioux
11-07-2008, 9:23 PM
This is a Shingle Oak tree that was cut down a year or two ago.

At that time, I asked if it could be resawed. In that thread, several people, most notable Mr Clardy, said that tree was used for shingles and making baskets. It splits, hence its use in basket weaving.

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Joe - congrats on the wood score! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Joe Mioux
11-08-2008, 1:24 AM
Thanks Steve,

However, you should see the Hard Maple that I cut up today.

Joe

robert hainstock
11-08-2008, 9:34 AM
If that maple is green I urges you to get some "anchor seal" and coat the ends of the pieces or blocks. This will keep the
wood from cracking. Nice score by the way. :)
Bob