PDA

View Full Version : workshop planning

Joe Dowdy
11-07-2008, 5:23 PM
I am planning a workshp outside instead of the basement. here is my question, there is a place in town that sells the pre built storage buildings(wooden,6' barn doors, roll up door, and wooden floor) The size I was thinking of is 14x36. With this being outside I am guessing I eould need to insulate but what else would I have to do to make it workshop worthy (eletrical I know) and would a cabnit saw be to heavy for it.

Chris Padilla
11-07-2008, 7:21 PM
What kind of floor is offered with these pre-built storage buildings? You could simply pour a slab and put the building on that.

Don Bullock
11-07-2008, 8:48 PM
Joe, you should check your local building code. It may "dictate" what you can and can't do.

Joe Dowdy
11-07-2008, 9:07 PM
floor is 2x4 and 3/4 plywood 12" centers if I order like that, and as far as building code, I just have to pull a permit, they do not require any inspection.

Jerry McEwen
11-09-2008, 8:29 PM
Hey Joe,

I had a shop in a outside building for over 10 years, and as time went by the floor sagged, I agree with Chriss, look into pouring a slab.
This year I sold my outside shop structure and built a 22 X 22 shop attached to my garage, and glad I did.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Joe Dowdy
11-09-2008, 8:52 PM
yeah it dose thanks, I think what I will do is keep the basement shop for a good while until I have the money for a true building.

Don Bullock
11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
floor is 2x4 and 3/4 plywood 12" centers if I order like that, and as far as building code, I just have to pull a permit, they do not require any inspection.

Most building codes require permits and inspection for any electrical added to a shed out outbuilding. I'd be very surprised if your code doesn't.

yeah it dose thanks, I think what I will do is keep the basement shop for a good while until I have the money for a true building.

I have seen several shops made from shed buildings like you were looking at. It is possible, but you decision to hold out for a "true building" may be what is "best" for you. Good luck.

Geoff Potter
11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I have a 16x24 shed turned to a shop. I have 2x8 joists 16"oc and there is some sag around the Unisaw. Other than being too narrow, not long enough and having an 8' ceiling it is a great shop. I have a full compliment of "big" tools, all mobile. I wired, insulated and sheet rocked it, added a docked INNO for tunes and it is really comfortable.

Joe Dowdy
11-10-2008, 11:34 PM
I was worried about the floor sag with a large table saw in there. By the time I make the shed comftable It would be way over the price of a steel garage. However the basement wil have to do for now until my money tree matures