PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Andrea Weissenseel
11-07-2008, 2:34 PM
Hi all,

I'm totally new to laser engravers. I got my LaserPro Spirit 40W two weeks ago, and I'm still in the testing phase. I found so much valuable information here, so I wanted to say thank you :) and I hope that I can share some information someday too, so I can make up for it.

I have a question though, somebody asked me to engrave a Laptop Lid which is a hi glossy platic material. Now I'm afraid that it contains PVC is there a way to find out or is usually PVC contained in there ?

Thanx a lot for answers, Andrea

Dave Johnson29
11-07-2008, 2:50 PM
engrave a Laptop Lid which is a hi glossy platic material.

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the group I am a newbie too. The laptop will almost certainly not be PVC, most likely ABS which is a bit smelly.

Do you have an exhaust system to the outside? If not it is a good idea to build one. Do some searches here there are several threads using woodworking dust extractor fans.

Here's one I started recently
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=953233&postcount=1

Andrea Weissenseel
11-07-2008, 3:42 PM
Thank you for your answer, Dave :)

Our exhaust & filtration system does not lead to the outside :o I probally try and take a good smell :)

Andrea

Jerry Hay
11-07-2008, 7:10 PM
I have a Laserpro spirit 30 W it is great. I have had a few problems but nothing that tech support could not figure out. If you have a filtration unit then it should take care of any exhaust so being inside should be ok. I have done laptops, cell phones, Ipods, nintendo DS, and even an external hard drive with no problem. My best advice is to watch the power and speed. If you use too little power you can go over it again, use too much and it is pretty much over. I tested mine out on a junk laptop that was broken before I did mine. I am glad I did. If you do one for a customer make sure they sign a waiver or something to let them know that it is their loss if it goes wrong. I know my machine, I know "most" of what it can do, there still is that "what if factor" that is unknown. GOOD LUCK!

Andrea Weissenseel
11-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Thank you too Jerry, ure making me hope :)

I have two lidcovers here I can experiment with - just was afraid of this PVC issue

Mike Null
11-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Andrea

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

You might try running a little test on the bottoms to get your settings right.