PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
05-28-2004, 8:49 AM
Good Friday Morning All,

I keep thinking my weekends will slow down a little, but...........! We have lots of company coming in this weekend for a get together on Sunday in my youngest daughter's honor, who is home on leave after Coast Guard boot camp. I am going to sneak over to a friend's shop tomorrow and help him with some resawing. At least I will get to make a little sawdust.

What's on your agenda this weekend?

Have a great Memorial Day weekend and remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our country free.

Bob

Dick Parr
05-28-2004, 9:00 AM
A little shop time is about all we are doing this weekend. Finally getting the needed rain. So I will pop a top and sit and watch it rain and the grass grow. Since the wife has to mow it now. :D

Have a safe weekend eveyone. ;)

Todd Burch
05-28-2004, 9:11 AM
Last (really!) stages of the study project. I'll work Saturday and Monday on it, but we do have friends coming over Monday for grill/pool, etc.

Will move the jointer/planer into position this weekend and run the last electric line and new dust collection line if it kills me. Have to disassemble the short-lived woodrack to position it.

Probably some more web site updates. I find it takes a good 3-4 hours a week, on average, to keep it up to date - and that's pretty sad, considering that most of the info is static!

I have some other cabinets in the shop (3 uppers) that need priming for delivery/install next week.

Todd

OH - don't forget to put that flag up on Monday!!

Tyler Howell
05-28-2004, 9:24 AM
Turned down some invites on purpose just to spend time in the shop. Going to try my hand at ceramic tile this weekend. Read the books, asked lots of questions, ready to rock.

Going north to help a damsel in distress:cool: with her rental property and them maybe a little sailing with a Creeker.

This weekend starts the summer travel season and also is the start of major auto and boating accednt season. I need you back here to help me through this next project.;)
Have a safe one.

Tyler Howell
05-28-2004, 9:27 AM
Last
Todd

OH - don't forget to put that flag up on Monday!!
Old Glory flies 24- 7 since 9 11;)

Byron Trantham
05-28-2004, 9:42 AM
Finish up LOML sewing room base cabinet. Finish the last of the generator wiring. I've been putting off the last phase, a pass-through between the garage and the dining room, but we had another pretty good storm last night os I got motivated today. Plan on taking it easy the rest of the weekend. :D

Jim Becker
05-28-2004, 9:51 AM
Since I snuck out at the end of the day to mow the grass yesterday after a whole bunch of interminable conference calls, I'll not have that to worry about on the weekend. So...tonight and Saturday will see some shop time. I have a few things that I must do on the lathe and will hopefully get some time in on the walnut buffet. Sunday is Dr SWMBO's family picnic and I may try for a visit with a fellow turner afterward. Hopefully, I'll be back in the shop sometime on Monday.

Dave Avery
05-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Hello everyone,

Hopefully get some work done on Katherine's long delayed office file case / bookcase project. Started in January....... and it's been about 6 weeks since I've made any progress. I'm hoping that posting here will force me to actually finish the woodworking aspects over the long weekend.

Lotsa non-WW stuff too.... 18 holes tomorrow AM, dinner party tomorrow evening, and MOST IMPORTANT..... the official kickoff of the barbequed pizza season Sunday night - you haven't lived until you've had pizza on a charcoal grill.

Finally, I envy Mr. Becker...... with all the rain we've had, I've been cutting my lawn every 2-3 days!!!

Best regards,

Dave.

Jim Becker
05-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Finally, I envy Mr. Becker...... with all the rain we've had, I've been cutting my lawn every 2-3 days!!!
It was very nice in Hartford on Wednesday when I was "in town", but yes, the weather has been testy when it comes to keeping lawns mowed. (As well as for air traffic control...lot's of folks missed connections this week) I wanted to get out yesterday because I knew rain was coming last night to stay through a good part of today.

Dave Avery
05-28-2004, 10:18 AM
It was very nice in Hartford on Wednesday when I was "in town", but yes, the weather has been testy when it comes to keeping lawns mowed. (As well as for air traffic control...lot's of folks missed connections this week) I wanted to get out yesterday because I knew rain was coming last night to stay through a good part of today.

Let me know next time you're in the area.........

Kurt Aebi
05-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Leave for Pennsylvania Sat. morning. Will be a 13-14 hour journey to my dad's place as he has to be in the southwestern corner near the WVa border. But the Grizzly Factory store is just about halfway, so should be there around noon (hmmm - maybe a little shopping on the way, maybe the journey will be more like 20-30 hours????????)

Will be going to the Pirates vs. Cubs game in Pittsburgh on Sunday (weather permitting, of course)

No shoptime, but I will be enclosing a set of corner shelves into a corner cabinet (already made the raised panel doors), so I guess I'll call it Next Week's Doin's! Gotta go tomy niece's HS Graduation on Thurs. Hope to catch up with fellow creeker Daniel Rabinovitz as he is real close to my sister & niece's house. Sounds like a hectic, but fun week.

I am going to go broke on gas, though all that travelling and I only have V-8's. Oh well you gotta help out the economy somehow!

Lee Schierer
05-28-2004, 10:54 AM
My daughter and her family are going to meet us at a State Campground about halfway across PA. Bald Eagle State Park. We will be taking the boat and trying out my granddaughters new Ugly Stick fishing rod and get some boating in too. Hopefully the rain will abate a bit for the weekend.

Monday when we get back, we may need to palnt rice in the garden as we got at least another inch of rain last night.

Chris Padilla
05-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Okay, this *will* be the weekend I complete the carcass for the cabinet to the left of the fireplace! I know I sound like a broken record but I'm all ready and have all the dimensions (see my Faceframe thread)!

Dan Stuewe
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM
We're going to have an old fasioned suburban barn raising. (Basically a bunch of friends from church are going over to another friends house to help clean things up, do some painting, trim work, and the like) Its amazing what you can't do when you are forced to move a few weeks before twins come!

Then on Sunday and Monday I have to finish one more part of the year and a half face lift on our downstairs.

Dennis Peacock
05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Just TWO words.......

<font size=+3 color="red"><b>Working OnCall!!!!</B></font>

Need I say more.!!! :confused: :mad:

Dave Anderson NH
05-28-2004, 12:47 PM
I have to catch up on all the yard work that's been postponed due to the almost constant rain over the last couple of weeks. Mowing, spraying, trimming fertilizing, and some grass patching. The good news this year is that there were almost no black flies, the bad news is that with all of the rain the mosquitoes have never been as bad as this before.

I expect to get a good bit of shop time in too and hope to run a dust pickup to the lathe and maybe add a cellar outlet for SWMBOs new freezer. General barn cleanout is also probalby on the list too. I have a new tool prototype that I want to get started on and Sunday is probably a good time.

Last and quite importantly I will spend some time reflecting and remembering some of my Marine Corps friends who paid the ultimate price some 35-36 years ago in Southeast Asia. Because of the holiday I will fly the most important flag I own, the one which draped my Grandfather's coffin. I ask all of you too, to take a moment and remember those who fell in our country's conflicts. Semper Fi !!

Dave Richards
05-28-2004, 1:58 PM
I don't usually post because I don't usually know until after the weekend what I'm going to do.

Tomorrow we're going to put Julie K in the water on Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. That is if the weather holds out. There will probably be 4 or 5 boats built to the same plans as ours there. Picnicking and sailing will be the order of the day.

Sunday I have to figure out how to deal with a small ding in the surface of a piece I'm working on. Its a piece of teak with a small but rather deep dent in it. I thought about trying some steam from an iron but I think this one's too deep for that. Maybe I can find a decorative solution.

Billy Reynolds
05-28-2004, 2:22 PM
:( Dennis, you and I are in the same boat!!!.....I'm also on call. :( :( And it's a 3 day week-end. Hang in there......brighter days to come. Hope to get to spend some time with the new Jet-mini. :D :D :D :D

Rich Konopka
05-28-2004, 3:23 PM
Dave:

Bar-b-Q Pizza? Is that a East Hampton Thing?

Right a round the corner from ya.

Fred Voorhees
05-28-2004, 7:09 PM
Won't be much woodworking done this weekend. Heading down to my brothers in Cape May, NJ to spend the weekend. This is the third or fourth year that the wife and I have spent this weekend of the year with him. It is a relaxing few days and a good way to "catch up". Will be hitting the jetties for some striped bass fishing and hopefully find some time for some fresh water fishing and also some crabbing. A great time!

A few picnics to hit while we are down there and when we return on Monday morning, there is another annual picnic waiting for us at some close friends.

John Miliunas
05-28-2004, 8:17 PM
Yard work and then maybe a little yard work and depending on the weather, I'll try to get some yard work in! :rolleyes: Then, a wedding and reception on Sunday evening. I'm also going to try my damnest to get some final touches done on those bloody bathroom cabs! Have a fun and safe weekend, all! Dennis, Billy...Hope those on-call shifts don't get the best of 'ya! :cool:

Anthony Yakonick
05-28-2004, 9:12 PM
Party, each Memorial weekend my next door neighbor has a weekend long party. Starting Saturday afternoon he will have 4-6 bands that will go untill about midnight, after that it's acoustic music till dawn, on Sunday we start over and on Monday we tone it down a bit. A good number of people will stay and camp for the weekend. Basically a bunch of aging boomers trying to relive the past one more time :cool:

Dave Avery
05-28-2004, 9:38 PM
Dave:

Bar-b-Q Pizza? Is that a East Hampton Thing?

Right a round the corner from ya.

Hi Rich,

"As the crow flies", we could be very close........ I live in the greater Clark Hill area about 1/2 mile West of the lake.

No, it's not an East Hampton thing - barbequed pizza was written up in Bon Appetite about 5-6 years ago. I know it sound weird, but you have to try it. Real charcoal is the key, as is a very hot grill. It's the closest you can get to New Haven style Neapolital pizza without going to Wooster Avenue. Take care. Dave.

Jim Ketron
05-28-2004, 9:54 PM
Well I plan on building a jig to sharpen my lathe chisels simular to the wolverine jigs
and turning some spinny things have not used it in a while I'll post some pics of the jig and a few small things I have turned in the past few weeks
my HF chisel set arrived yesterday (talk about slow! it only took about 6 weeks)
Jim

Rich Konopka
05-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Rich,

"As the crow flies", we could be very close........ I live in the greater Clark Hill area about 1/2 mile West of the lake.

No, it's not an East Hampton thing - barbequed pizza was written up in Bon Appetite about 5-6 years ago. I know it sound weird, but you have to try it. Real charcoal is the key, as is a very hot grill. It's the closest you can get to New Haven style Neapolital pizza without going to Wooster Avenue. Take care. Dave.
I live in the New London Tpke area in Gbury. Is he still around? I know Wooster St Pizza well. Use use to play on their softbal team about 10 years ago. Randy make great pies :D

There use to be a guy who sold rough sawn lumber right up by you off Lake Ave. I think it was Boulder Rd?? It was years ago.

Have a good weekend !!

Jim Schmoll
05-29-2004, 1:21 AM
Be installing a kitchen for one of my girls in Southern Cal..

Jim from Idyllwild CA

Walt Pater
05-29-2004, 7:26 AM
Kicking off the Home Improvement Project for the summer: Re-siding the house. Lots of teardown this weekend. Hopefully it will be done before Labor day, along with a back deck and front porch.