PDA

View Full Version : what is a used grizzly 1023 worth?

Matt Ellis
11-07-2008, 8:04 AM
I have a grizzly 1023 saw that i bought about this time last year. it has some light use...built a couple of small projects with it. I am considering jumping on a used Delta Unisaw at what i consider a good price.

In light of the current retail price, what would be a fair asking price for the grizzly to offset the unisaw purchase? in my opinion, $750 or so would be fair. seem reasonable?

thanks,

-matt

Sean Rainaldi
11-07-2008, 8:10 AM
I own one.

It it's in good shape, and considering you can buy one brand new at present on ebay direct from grizzly with a full one year warranty for 755 bucks with Microsoft cash back deal (if it's the SL model), I would think if you can find a local buyer who is looking for one and is willing to pick it up himself to save on shipping, I would think 600 to 650 would be a fair price.

However if your buyer does not know about the eBay cash back deal and is happy to save on shipping, you could get 800 or 900 bucks because the buyer if picking up himself would be saving 200 bucks at the 900 price by picking up himself, since shipping thesee days is about 100 bucks plus liftgate service.

Just like to add, if it was me, I would not go any lower than 600-650 bucks, because if it's in good shape and only a year old, there is no reason to go any lower. Max I think would be 850 to 900 bucks, because you have to remember that it has no warranty and for 100 bucks more via grizzly web site one can get a saw with full warranty. I'd say if you can get in the 675-750 buck range considering the ebay cash back deal and this economy, you would be doing pretty good.

Marlin Williams
11-07-2008, 8:30 AM
I think what sean said is good.

If it was me I would do $750 OBO

The OBO will get a lower price but should stay at or above $650.

chris dub
11-07-2008, 8:54 AM
I sold my portable craftsman on eBay. I set it up with a Buy it now price and a best offer option. I did the best offer option to open up communications with buyers to tell tem about the cash back program if they didn't know about it. I got a few lowball offers but I was able to give them the cash back instruction in my rejection e-mail. The guy that ended up buying actually got it for less than his counter offer by using the cash back program.

So in this case a listing of $800 would net a buyer $600 and you would get ~$750 or so after fees I think. Plus you get your money faster and don't have to worry about those "I will end you a check from the far reaches of the world, please give me your SS#" emails.

Sean Rainaldi
11-07-2008, 9:02 AM
What Chris said.

That's what I would do. List it on ebay and in your local paper. Then if you get a local buyer from your local paper who does not know about ebay, just tell them to buy it on ebay and they will save 25 percent, I think your saw would sell quick that way.

BTW I bought my new 1023sl on ebay from grizzly and saved myself 240 bucks.

Aaron Frank
11-07-2008, 9:14 AM
Matt,
After reading your post, here are a few questions. How old is the Unisaw? How heavily has it been used? If its vintage, sturdy and American built, but not used too much, it could be a great buy at the right price. And of course, it's a UNISAW!! But, what are you giving up -- with regard to your existing set-up and customer service from Grizzly? They are both cabinet saws, and both built to high tolerances. Likely similar motor size and capability. I honestly don't see the need to switch from one to the other, unless the Unisaw is tricked out and in pristine condition. Other than the gloat, of course.:D

Just my 1/2 cent.

Matt Ellis
11-07-2008, 9:19 AM
my saw is stock, just as it came from grizzly. i got the base model without the router extension wing or 50" fence rails. i paid right at $1K delivered last fall.

this is the unisaw that is for sale:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94375

Aaron Frank
11-07-2008, 9:38 AM
Matt,

I'd say that Unisaw look's pretty cherry.

Good luck

scott spencer
11-07-2008, 9:50 AM
Matt - Is there a suffix after the 1023 model number? (ie: G1023SL, SLW, SLX, S)

Matt Ellis
11-07-2008, 9:54 AM
It is the left tilting SL model.

-matt

Cary Falk
11-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Matt,
I would consider it a lateral move and not worth the price of the percieved upgrade. If I were you, I would spend the money elsewhere. Is there something you don't like about the 1023? I have a 1970 Uni and still think the 1023 is a nice saw. I gave into the Uni hype but I was upgrading from a contractor saw.

Matt Ellis
11-07-2008, 10:29 AM
cary,

i agree that the saws are about equal. i cannot however buy the larger fence system, mobile base and other goodies for $300. the fence is also a genuine beismeyer, rather than the shop fox clone that comes with the grizzly. am i crazy?

-matt

Aaron Frank
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I would consider it a lateral move and not worth the price of the percieved upgrade. If I were you, I would spend the money elsewhere. Is there something you don't like about the 1023? I have a 1970 Uni and still think the 1023 is a nice saw. I gave into the Uni hype but I was upgrading from a contractor saw.

Thanks Cary. You said more elegantly what I was trying to get at.

Cary Falk
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
cary,

i agree that the saws are about equal. i cannot however buy the larger fence system, mobile base and other goodies for $300. the fence is also a genuine beismeyer, rather than the shop fox clone that comes with the grizzly. am i crazy?

-matt

Well if you put it like that , maybe not. I was looking at the upgrade cost as the loss on the 1023 + the extra cost of the Uni. That would be about $600. If you look at it your way then it is not so bad. A 50" Beiesemeyer is $400. and the mobile base is probably $150-$200. I have the the Shop Fox Classic on my Uni and think it is just as good as the Beisemeyer. I like the plastic faces vs the plywood. To each his own. It is probably a wash if you were going to do the upgrades anyway. I thought you were upgrading just because it was a Uni.

Robert Strebler
11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
IIRC, the 1023 is a Unisaw clone. I don't know what you'd be gaining going to a uni other than an American made saw. To me, it would make more sense to move up to a riving knife saw if you're going to upgrade, but that's just my opinion.

Russ Massery
11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
OR....to go though the hassle of selling the old saw. Moving the old saw out and moving the new saw in. I have a 5yr old 1023SL that has worked flawless. I really don't feel your upgrading that much if at all. The Grizzly is pretty much a clone of a Unisaw. In fact the Beisemeyer splitter fit both saws.

Ron Kanter
11-07-2008, 4:41 PM
I have a 50" Biesey with the original delta extension table and the extension for the mobile base (not the base that the saw sits in) for sale for $275.
All in excellent shape. Only selling because it's too big for my shop. I'm in Philadelphia.

Sean Rainaldi
11-07-2008, 5:37 PM
OR....to go though the hassle of selling the old saw. Moving the old saw out and moving the new saw in. I have a 5yr old 1023SL that has worked flawless. I really don't feel your upgrading that much if at all. The Grizzly is pretty much a clone of a Unisaw. In fact the Beisemeyer splitter fit both saws.

I second that. My 1023 is 2 weeks old and I have not used it yet (still waiting for my incra fence). But from what I have seen so far with the .0005 inch arbor run out, I doubt I will be selling it anytime soon. Unless if I either need the money, or if in my old age I start to get feeble and un co ordinated and buy a sawstop (my late 70’s stepdad had a table saw accident a few years ago I think due to co ordination trouble - I think it would have prevented the accident).

Bob Aquino
11-08-2008, 8:07 AM
I have a grizzly 1023 saw that i bought about this time last year. it has some light use...built a couple of small projects with it. I am considering jumping on a used Delta Unisaw at what i consider a good price.

In light of the current retail price, what would be a fair asking price for the grizzly to offset the unisaw purchase? in my opinion, $750 or so would be fair. seem reasonable?

thanks,

-matt

Matt
You can ask whatever you want for the saw, just a matter of what somebody will pay. Now is really not a good time to be looking for top dollar on used equipment even if its only a year or two old. People are not spending money like they did a year or two ago. A bargain will always appeal to someone, but you don't want to offer up the saw at a bargain price. I don't blame you for that. Is the Uni a better saw? Depends on the year I think. The one you referenced is pretty new. Biesmeyer fence is nice. I have essentially the same saw, about 10 years old, mine is a left tilt.

I think you will have to come down on your price to sell the Griz, but he is going to have to come down on his price for the Uni too. He has had it listed since 10/16 on this board and I take it hasn't sold yet. By the time you sell your saw and buy his, my guess is that you will have about a 200+- differential. Now is that worth it to you?

Rob Blaustein
11-08-2008, 6:51 PM
I think around $750 is reasonable. I just sold my 1023SL for that amount and it included a mobile base, a very sturdy homemade extension table, a Bies splitter, and I threw in an MJ splitter. It was in great shape. I thought it was a fair deal, and I gather others did too since I sold it via Craig's list and got about 6 offers within a few days. I sold it to the first person who contacted me and he was incredibly helpful with my Sawstop pickup (an hour away)--he and a friend of his also helped me unload it into my shop.

I think the Grizzly is a wonderful saw and were it not for the safety aspect of the Sawstop I would have been happy to keep it. It's a great value.

Cary Falk
11-10-2008, 1:03 AM
What did you decide to do Matt?

Matt Ellis
11-10-2008, 3:30 PM
i have my grizzly listed locally, and have offered to deliver it. i'll wait a couple more days to see if i have any nibbles. if not, i'll probably just hang on to it. i do like the look of the uni, along with all the goodies, but by the time i sell/deliver the old one and pick up the delta (he is about 1.5 hours away) i may come out ahead just ordering/building the larger fence and rail system.

-matt