PDA

View Full Version : any info on Oregon stones?

Douglas Brummett
11-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I inherited "the Oregon stone" from my grandfathers estate. There is very little information on the google search front. Anyone have contact info for the company (Oregon Abrasive and Manufacturing co.).

About this stone
It's a combo fine/x.fine according to the box label
8x2x1 in a cedar box

From what I have found so far it looks like the fine is about 220g and aluminum oxide. I haven't found anything on the extra-fine, which is apparently between the fine and super-fine which is novaculite. The tag inside the cedar box has check boxes (med thru super-fine) and only the fine and x.fine are checked off. From the looks of it I am guessing that the x.fine is just a finer grit AO.

One site suggests that you can use with oil or water, but that the mfg recommends water. I would prefer to use oil. Any suggestions?

Mike K Wenzloff
11-07-2008, 1:37 AM
Still in business. Cutlery places sell the stones.

Oregon Abrasive & Manufacturing
12345 Ne Sliber Berg Rd, Brush Prairie, WA 98606
Phone: (360) 254-5400

Take care, Mike

Douglas Brummett
11-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks Mike, I will give them a call closer to business hours. West coast is still waking up :)

Bill Houghton
11-07-2008, 10:04 AM
It's a neat design, in a kind of plastic toolbox, mounted on a triangular holder so you can rotate the stones. Closes up to protect the stones.

I've found them excellent stones. I use oil.

Douglas Brummett
11-07-2008, 1:12 PM
Okay, got in touch with a nice fella gave me the low down. My assumption was correct, the x.fine is indeed AO like the fine. The x.fine is about a 320g. Also fine to use it with oil. He recommended drug store mineral oil, which is what I have been using on my other oil stone.

So it looks like I have some nice mid-grit filler oil stones. If I can get a couple of Arkansas stones I will have the full gamut carborundum thru translucent. If I end up liking the oil stones you guys may want to check the classifieds for my water stones :D