PDA

View Full Version : A lurker joins up

Bob Hyde
05-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Been knocking about a bunch of woodworking lists for a while now, and while I enjoy all of them, this is the first I've joined... so, here's a quickish intro and then I'll toss my hat in the corner and look for a chair to pull up.
The 'Old Bag' and I retired here in the Bahamas about a dozen years ago. Looking for 'something' do, we wound up building a small Bonefishing Lodge, which, with all the projects lining up, gave me all the excuse I needed to build myself a shop!!!
I'm an enthuiastic hobbiest of modest skills so I'm always looking forward to sharing the experiences of other woodworkers. The gang here seems to do that in the most pleasant way... I hope to contribute in the same way.

I saw a post where a member was asking about the use of Ipe for furniture. I 'stumbled' across quite a bit of it when a local fella' finished a dock/deck and was looking to unload the remainder. It amounted to about 60ish pcs of 4x4x12'. I've since used a good portion of it with built-ins and other furniture around the lodge. I'll try and attach a few pics of a Hope Chest and Doll's cradle that I recently built for my daughter. I've also built a couple of desks/chairs, tables etc. with it. While it's certainly tough on tools and no fun to lug around, I've found it a lot of fun to work with and finish.
I'll try and get a few pics of the shop together for posting.
Thanks to all for building this great shop to hang out in!
Bob

Bob Hovde
05-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Welcome, Bob. (Now that you're not "hyding" anymore. :D ) Beautiful work!

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
05-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Bob, glad to have you around. Welcome. Your projects are very nice. Looks like you have a bit more than "modest" skills.

John Miliunas
05-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Bob! :D I, for one, am happy you decided to join this particular community! Great bunch of people with skill levels from the bottom (mine) and right up to the Pro's and some of whom I'd even consider Masters! It appears that you come well prepared and I can't even rag on you about the whole, "We love pics..." thing! :rolleyes: Very nice work and I look forward to "seeing" you as an active member here at SMC! As I tell everyone, come often and stay long! :cool:

Dale Thompson
05-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Bob,
WECOME TO THE CREEK!! :) It looks like we have another new member who will make my "stuff" look ridiculous. :( I'm one of the "bottom feeders" around here but I can still look up to the "real" pros. You do GREAT work!! :)

I hear that the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue will be shot down in your territory. I'm not sure that I will make the "Cover" but I plan to make it a close contest. :eek: :D Talent on this board is rather common. Beauty, however, is unique to 'moi. :eek: :D :D

Seriously, Bob, NICE work!

Dale T.

Mark Singer
05-28-2004, 12:45 AM
Welcome,
Nice work ...nice use of material and originality...these guys are great! and Dale is a lot better looking than he wants you to believe...

Todd Burch
05-28-2004, 1:16 AM
Welcome Bob!

Tyler Howell
05-28-2004, 6:00 AM
Welcome Bob,

A new guy with Pix Too nice!:cool:

Dick Parr
05-28-2004, 7:57 AM
Welcome to the Creek Bob.

Ted Shrader
05-28-2004, 9:13 AM
Bob -

Welcome to the Creek. Nice little corner of the world you have down there! Been within waving distance lots of times on different submarines.

Nice pieces of work you included in the intro!

What do you do for rust protection from the salt air?

Ted

Jim Becker
05-28-2004, 9:16 AM
Welcome aboard, Bob!! Great place here at SMC.

So....are you hosting the next "southern" woodworker's picnic? :D We northerners really like tropical places...;) Seriously, it will be nice to hear from time to time what woodworking you see in your geography.

Mike Scoggins
05-28-2004, 9:21 AM
Bob,

A big "Welcome" from my "shop" to yours! You do very nice work (and it appears you are indeed, "modest" in the assessment of your skills). I like both of the projects you posted. I really can't put my finger on it, but the doll cradle is very pleasing to me for some reason.

Mike

Ron McNeil
05-28-2004, 9:23 AM
Welcome Bob, Saw Mill Creek is a great place to be a part of and it has many talented woodworkers.

Tyler Howell
05-28-2004, 9:54 AM
Didn't even look at your home location. The Exumas is part of my "Sailing Trip from Hell". Remind me, I'll tell you all about it over a case of beer some time(it will take at least a case). We ran aground in your back yard and I went diving on a crashed drug smugglers plane not too far from there.:cool:

Again welcome!

Kurt Aebi
05-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the "Creek"

Enjoy all the funnin' and learnin' and teachin' htat goes on around here.

Welcome and hope you particiate often, your work speaks volumes of your craftsmanship!

John Miliunas
05-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Didn't even look at your home location. The Exumas is part of my "Sailing Trip from Hell". Remind me, I'll tell you all about it over a case of beer some time(it will take at least a case). We ran aground in your back yard and I went diving on a crashed drug smugglers plane not too far from there.:cool:

Again welcome!

Hey Tyler, sounds like a verrrrrrry interesting story! :D When you comin' down, next? I'll have the beer nice and COLD! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Welcome Bob!

You are much too modest about your skills! Enjoy this site! I am a relative newby myself. Take and input info as you deem necessary!

Again, Welcome!

Brad Schmid
05-28-2004, 2:31 PM
Beautiful work there Bob! welcome aboard.

Bob Hyde
05-28-2004, 2:37 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome...
Tyler, I'm looking forward to hearing about your Exuma grounding... and the beer! As you saw, the area is littered with small planes resting on the bottom... was a pretty crazy place back in the 70's /80's. Still has it's moments.
Again, thanks to all for your comments and warm welcome. I've enjoyed looking at the pics of your projects... some great ideas and work! I'll try to dig up a few more of mine for posting.
Hope to talk soon!
bob

Chris Padilla
05-28-2004, 2:43 PM
Welcome, Bob. Ipe and your hand seem to work well together...those are simply gorgeous pieces and now I'm officially itchy to get some Ipe! Hey, does that rhyme?? :p

Jim Becker
05-28-2004, 3:26 PM
now I'm officially itchy to get some Ipe! Hey, does that rhyme??
Only with a Latin accent...:eek:

Jack Hogoboom
05-28-2004, 4:35 PM
Bob,

Let me add to everyone's welcome. I happen to be heading to Great Exuma on Wednesday for a little R&R with my wife. :D I can only imagine how much more relaxing the trip would be with a little woodworking....

Jack

Bob Hyde
05-28-2004, 7:51 PM
Jack,
I guess it really is a small world! If you're heading this way and have room for a visit I'd be more than happy to share a cold drink and a few stories... maybe even get a whiff or two of some wood chips if you're suffering from withdrawal.
As you probably know, Exuma's a pretty small island so getting together should be pretty simple. If you'd care to email me I'll get back with some contact info.
In any case, thanks for the welcome!
bob

Jack Hogoboom
05-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Bob,

I sent you an email. Hope you got it. :)

Bruce Page
05-29-2004, 2:40 PM
Bob, obviously :rolleyes:, you have been doing this woodworking thing for awhile! Very stunning craftsmanship there. :eek: :eek: BTW, how does one go about retiring to the Bahamas?

Welcome to the Creek.

David Wilson
05-29-2004, 3:32 PM
Bob
I'm fairly new to this sight also. Lots of great info and feedback. Welcome

Mark Valsi
05-29-2004, 5:17 PM
Sheeeeeeesh,

If this guy is of 'modest' talents, I quit !!