PDA

View Full Version : I thought I might need.........

Lee Hingle
11-06-2008, 10:23 PM
just a little more than 16" resaw capability :eek:

What's the best way to get this cosmoline crud off?

Lee

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=100449&d=1226028095

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Lee,

I used denaturd alcohol on mine but just about any solvent should work!

Nice saw! I've just started using my MM-16 and I love it. I'm sure you will enjoy you MM-20!

Congrats!

Bill Huber
11-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I just use paint thinner on my bandsaw and table saw worked just fine.

That is a great looking saw, I think you should be about to resaw just about anything you want.

Steve Kohn
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Paint Thinner +1

Rick Fisher
11-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Beauty .. cough.. you suck.. cough.. :)

Very nice saw, your a lucky man.

glenn bradley
11-06-2008, 11:57 PM
The very BEST way to get it off is to have an expert do it for you. Send that thing right over and I'll take care of it :rolleyes:.

Gary Click
11-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Best way I have found is to get my two sons, Bubba and Russell to get it off. I hide their shoes till they are finished.

Mike Heidrick
11-07-2008, 12:39 AM
I bought one of these MM20s from a member Scott from the for sale section here on SMC. Let me tell you this is one CRAZY bandsaw! I am not able to even stress this saw at all. I need more usage out of mine that is for sure.

What blades are you going to run on yours?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Mike,

I exchanged emails with Mark Duginske. He recommended Olson bi-metal blades. I bought 3.

A lot of folks swear by Timberwolf, however.

I might try one of those Timberwolf's made for saw green wood.

Mike Heidrick
11-07-2008, 7:54 AM
For a big saw like this many people try Lenox blades. Sam Blasco recommended them to me as well. For resawing I bought a Woodmaster Ct, and two Trimaster (I bought ones from Emoney Greg and had them cut and rewelded locally - Greg sells them for $95 plus shipping on woodnet). For curved cutting I am using Lenox Diemasters . They are super nice and the first two are carbide.

I would really like to here how the other blades work.

Don Bullock
11-07-2008, 8:38 AM
Congratulations Lee. That's a mighty fine looking saw.

I take cosmoline off with mineral spirtis.

Tim Thomas
11-07-2008, 9:55 AM
I used kerosene to take the cosmoline off of my table saw. It worked pretty well, but if you don't have any kerosene handy, I think just about any decent solvent would be fine. I bet you already have some paint thinner or mineral spirits around. The only thing I have heard people advise against is lacquer thinner. If you get lacquer thinner on the painted parts it can actually take the paint off. Wouldn't want that to happen to your nice new saw now would we? :D

Ben Davis
11-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I used kerosene to take the cosmoline off of my table saw. It worked pretty well, but if you don't have any kerosene handy, I think just about any decent solvent would be fine. I bet you already have some paint thinner or mineral spirits around. The only thing I have heard people advise against is lacquer thinner. If you get lacquer thinner on the painted parts it can actually take the paint off. Wouldn't want that to happen to your nice new saw now would we? :D
Exactly right. When we tear open new parts for our tanks they go straight into let over jet fuel from draining water out of the storage tanks. Get yourself about 1/8 to 1/4 gallon of kerosene or disel fueld and you'll be in business. I swear that you don't want to take this stuff off without a good solvent.

Jim Becker
11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice!!!! Congrats and enjoy the cleaning party! LOL Kero and a scraper to get off the majority of the gunk and then mineral spirits to remove any remaining cosmoline and kero oils followed by wax on the cast iron.

Mikail Khan
11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice saw.

Try CRC Lectra Clean (spray can). It is an Electrical contact cleaner. Use in a well ventilated area.

MK

Lee Hingle
11-07-2008, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I will pick up a gallon of kero tonight when I get the 30 amp locking plug for the machine.

Mike (Heidrick) I would be curious to hear what you think of theLenox Trimaster from emoney. I have been looking at the possibility of getting one of those blades from him.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on a business that will re-weld the Lenox blades? There is no one here locally that can do it.

Thanks,

Lee

Marcus Ward
11-07-2008, 3:27 PM
Iturra designs can take care of you on the blades.