PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat, kind of

Alex Carrera
11-06-2008, 8:36 PM
I finally got the chance to clear out my departed grandfather's wood from my grandmother's garage. His taught me everything I know about woodworking, except maybe his patience, and his tools got me started in woodworking again. I keep cursing him for not buying all of the stuff that I wanted him to get when I was younger. If he had I'd be completely set :)

I had not yet stacked it all in these pics, it's just piled on the floor after my friend helped me drag it into my basement. Lots of white oak that's buried in these pictures, walnut, and some mystery wood that smells really good when cut. Eucalyptus maybe? Some of the boards span the width of the entire tree, and they've split along the center. It's all quite old, as he always seemed to purchase new stock for his projects, at least that's what my grandmother always complained about.

I also found some tremendous inch thick maple hardwood flooring with a lot of birds eye figure in it. I'm trying to figure out what to do with that, as there's not really enough to do any rooms with.

Steve Evans
11-06-2008, 9:19 PM
Alex

Regarding the flooring, the birdseye makes a beautiful border. I think it would look a bit too busy to do a whole floor in birdseye.

Steve