PDA

View Full Version : Car stolen!

Eric Larsen
11-06-2008, 2:20 PM
I just had 10 4x10 sheets of ply delivered for my closet making project, so I put them in the "car side" of the garage and parked in the driveway.

Woke up this morning, no car.

LV Metro informs us that 80% of all stolen cars in the LV valley are recovered. What the officer DIDN'T mention is the condition of the recovered cars.

Joy...

Jim O'Dell
11-06-2008, 3:00 PM
That stinks!!!! Sorry for the hassle you are embarking on with the car. Jim.

Lee Schierer
11-06-2008, 3:02 PM
My guess is it will be missing significant parts or have body damage. Hopefully you are insured and have already notified your agent. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Chris Padilla
11-06-2008, 3:30 PM
I had a similar episode earlier this summer when I walked into my garage from the house and saw my bicycle gone. I came home around 6:10 pm, parked in the garage as usual, left the garage door open as usual...came back out around 8 pm, bike stolen.

Steve Clardy
11-06-2008, 3:58 PM
Ooh bummer :eek:

Randy Cohen
11-06-2008, 4:17 PM
I hope you didn't have anything of value in the car.

Randy Moore
11-06-2008, 6:07 PM
I hope you didn't have anything of value in the car.

Like a FULL tank of gas.

That hurts

Eric Larsen
11-06-2008, 9:50 PM
I don't understand for the life of me why it was stolen. It's a 1994 Honda with 170,000 miles.

It got 28mpg, so we were going to drive it into the ground, then buy some kind of hybrid. I've been holding out for an Aptera, but they're still not ready yet.

I was really hoping to hold off until the 3rd generation of hybrids became available (the dual-mode engine and plug-in kind).

Don Abele
11-06-2008, 9:55 PM
My guess would be parts (aka chop shop) or kids on a joy ride. Either way, that sucks. Can only hope those responsible are caught and prosecuted.

Be well,

Doc

Eric Larsen
11-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not overly worried about the car. It was worth $1000. Tops. It was a beater with a strong engine for its age. If the master brake cylinder went again, we were going to scrap the car anyway. (We've been through two in eight years.)

I forgot to mention the FUNNY thing about the car being stolen. This morning, I made LOML breakfast. She expressed concern about all the wood in the garage. "I don't want the car stolen," she said.

"It's not worth anything," I said. "Don't worry about it."

15 minutes later, she went outside and the car was AWOL. OH, did I hear about THAT.

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
The top stolen car in the US is the 1995 Honda Civic, for some reason. Maybe they got mixed up on the year.

Sorry to hear this, and hope you get it back in one piece.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=434545

Steve Clardy
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
OH, did I hear about THAT.

Yep. They don't seem to forget like us boys do. Lol

Bill Cunningham
11-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh.. Wow Your sig line

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning... It smells like.... like.... COSMOLINE!
reminded me of how pi$$ed my wife gets when I use the best machine in the house to remove cosmoline from old gunstocks.. 'The dish washer' the hot water not only gets the stock squeeky clean will even lift many small dents from the wood.. Sorry about your car.. You can always look on the bright side.. It's 'their' problem now!

Neal Clayton
11-07-2008, 12:11 AM
The top stolen car in the US is the 1995 Honda Civic, for some reason.

because civics are the modern day equivalent of old mustangs and camaros. kids spend tons of money souping them up, and most car thieves i would wager are knucklehead kids who hang around with said civic owner kids. due to the money said kids waste on those cars they probably have a high aftermarket parts value after they get through a chop shop.

David DeCristoforo
11-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Your Honda will probably become a modern day "hot rod"... the four wheeled equivalent of the "crotch rocket. Complete with a NOS and a 7,000 watt mega bass system in the trunk. At least they didn't get your wood.

James Hart
11-07-2008, 1:17 AM
Your Honda will probably become a modern day "hot rod"... the four wheeled equivalent of the "crotch rocket. Complete with a NOS and a 7,000 watt mega bass system in the trunk. At least they didn't get your wood.

David hit it on the nose. This model of car is #1 for souped up street racing.

It's also extremely easy to steal. You stick a jiggler key in the ignition, tap it with a hammer and drive away. Learned about this when my POC 1996 Maxima was stolen from between 2 late model cars.

Google jiggler key.

Jim

Jim Becker
11-07-2008, 9:09 AM
I don't understand for the life of me why it was stolen. It's a 1994 Honda with 170,000 miles.

Older Hondas are coveted by choppers for parts to support the current street rod crowd.

Les Heinen
11-07-2008, 1:31 PM
Maybe justice will be served and the master cylinder will fail while the road toads are driving it.

Sorry about the loss. More than the $1000, it is the HASSLE of getting a replacement on short notice.

M Toupin
11-08-2008, 3:40 AM
94 Honda civics are stolen for one simple reason - because the ignition sucks and it's the easiest car to hot wire.

The truth is, 99.9% of all cars stolen are stolen for transportation from point A to point B and dumped. In fact, thieves often steal one vehicle from point A to get to point B. Then they steal another to get back to point A were they started. Often times you'll find another abandoned stolen vehicle close by to were a vehicle is stolen from. Look around your neighborhood, you may well find one within 2-3 blocks. Very few vehicles are "chopped" and most that are are high end luxury cars. 94 Honda civics don't fall into that category. While Hollywood would like you to believe there's a "chop shop" on every corner, the reality just ain't so. The reality is most cars are stolen by juveniles out joy ridding.

Mike

Eric Larsen
11-09-2008, 8:09 PM
I hope you're right. But it's been three days, and no word.

In other news, I have a computer again after my graphics card went south... (uptime went from days, to hours, to minutes....)

Mark Rios
11-09-2008, 9:34 PM
I think I found your car on my utilities easement this morning. :D

I went out with the dogs for their morning constitutional at around 6:00 am and all was well but when we went out again at around 8 there was a beat up old car half on my easement and half on the road. It was obvious that it had been stolen. The left front tire was flat so I guess that's why they stopped driving it. The police came out fairly quickly after I called them and towed it away.

You wouldn't want it back. :D

Russ Filtz
11-10-2008, 7:32 AM
Two Words. Trunk Monkey!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/th_4TrunkMo.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/?action=view&current=4TrunkMo.flv)

Don Abele
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Russ...that's too funny. I love the third clip and the last one is perfect for me to send to my daughter! I've always told her that I would tell her boyfriends that I have a shotgun, shovel, and 40 acres - and I'm not afraid to use them!

Thanks for the laugh...

Be well,

Doc

Brian Peters
11-10-2008, 2:49 PM
Russ...that's too funny. I love the third clip and the last one is perfect for me to send to my daughter! I've always told her that I would tell her boyfriends that I have a shotgun, shovel, and 40 acres - and I'm not afraid to use them!

Thanks for the laugh...

Be well,

Doc

lol reminds me of that movie the astronaut farmer; where he says to the guy surveying his land/house for repo - "you know how hard it is to find a body on 300 acres" or something like that :D

Russ Filtz
11-10-2008, 4:07 PM
If you like the trunk monkey try out the theft prevention devices from a website called stickdeath (do a google search). It's basically a bunch of scenarios with stick figure men offing each other in gruesome, yet hilarious, ways. Cartoony, but NOT for little kids. There were several episodes of car theft prevention devices. I won't post links due to the macabre sense of humor of the site. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll dig it up.

Eric DeSilva
11-10-2008, 5:37 PM
I forgot to mention the FUNNY thing about the car being stolen. This morning, I made LOML breakfast. She expressed concern about all the wood in the garage. "I don't want the car stolen," she said.

Reminds me of a time I went with my dad to his office. He wanted to improve the quality of the soil in his garden, so we stopped by on the way back at a friend's farm and shoveled some fertilizer into a couple plastic garbage cans which he stuck in the back of our then 25 year old 1963 VW Squareback. After that, we stopped at a hardware store to pick something else up and he asked me to lock the door. I had to stop, since I had *never* remembered locking the doors on this particular car--even when the key cylinder failed and you could start it by pressing a button hanging from a couple wires under the dash... So...

[Me]: You really think someone is gonna try to steal your '63 squareback?
[Dad]: No, but I don't want them to take my cow manure.

At least they didn't get your plywood...

Eric Larsen
06-01-2009, 1:02 PM
I just got a call from LV Metro. They found the car, stripped and non-drivable.

It's Amica's problem, now.

glenn bradley
06-01-2009, 1:56 PM
I just got a call from LV Metro. They found the car, stripped and non-drivable.

It's Amica's problem, now.

Ouch! I am sorry but, . . . maybe it's better that way(?).

Bruce Page
06-01-2009, 2:22 PM
So did you get the Aptera?

Eric Larsen
06-01-2009, 2:49 PM
So did you get the Aptera?

I wish!

Ended up with a Nissan. Apteras won't be available until fall, if you believe the company website. If their price is really around $30K, I would try to snap up every reservation I could. (If, like most cool cars, the manufacturer allows people to resell the reservations.)

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/aptera_6.jpg