PDA

View Full Version : Saws with thumbholes

Edward Miller
11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I've been recently looking at rip saws on ebay and have run across a fair number of them that have two holes in the handle--one that looks like the normal spot where your fingers go, and a thumbhole above that. How would these be held & used? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this over the normal (to me) type with just the one hole for the fingers?

Marcus Ward
11-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Left hand over top of right hand (or non dominant over dominant) with your thumb through the hole. It helps with vigorous sawing. Many saws have a depression there for your thumb, fingers go over the top of the handle. It's a pretty natural grab, try it out on a saw and it'll become clear.

Dave Anderson NH
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Almost all of the saws with thumb holes that I have ever seen were rip saws. The thumb hole gives you the ability to use both hands on the saw and generate more force. This is particularly useful if you are ripping from an unusual standing position because the workpiece is alrady fixed in place. Strangely enough I have seen a couple of thumbhole saws that were filed crosscut, but I'm sure they were a user modification though I don't know why.

The only disadvantage I know of for thumbhole saws is that they usually cost you more.

Marcus Ward
11-06-2008, 1:07 PM
I knew I had seen a picture:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/bSmalser/z_art/strSawBlade/strSawBlade8.asp

Edward Miller
11-06-2008, 6:12 PM
Excellent. Thank you very much, gentlemen.

David Keller NC
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
There's actually another (though related) reason for the thumb-hole. There are some references to these saws being used with an over-hand grip with the saw reversed in its usual orientation (the teeth facing away from you in a vertical orientation) for standing rip cuts at a normal cabinetmaker's bench height. With this method, the saw moves away from you as the cut proceeds rather than toward you as in the "normal" orientation. I've tried it, but I'll admit it felt awkward compared to kneeling at a saw bench and ripping towards me.

Daryl Weir
11-08-2008, 9:19 AM
Hello Edward,

Aside from all the advantages that have been posted, the only disadvantage that the saw has is, it was designed with a right-handed user in mind. I'm not saying a lefty can't use it, it just won't be as comfortable.

All in all, the D-8 thumbhole rip is a very good user and must have been a popular saw. Even though I don't find them all the time at auctions, fleas, etc., I've picked up and sold quite a few over the years.

You won't go to wrong with this saw if you're looking for a good rip. Just try to get one from the 1920' or earlier if possible. They have the best profile/shape on the handles and are the most comfortable to hold. Just look with ones that have the old style keystone etch with the 8 inside the D.

Take care,
Daryl