PDA

View Full Version : New Rockler in Memphis (sort of)

Danny Thompson
11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Given that we don't have Woodcraft, Rockler, Tools for Working Wood, Highland Hardware, Lee Valley, Lie Nielse--a general dirth of woodworking supply options in this part of the country, I thought some of my fellow Mid-Southerners would want to know . . .

I dropped in to our humble local woodworking retailer, The Woodwork Shop, the other day hoping against hope to find a decent featherboard and some dark wood glue. To my surprise about half of the store had been transformed into a Rockler!

As I understand it, the store is now an authorized reseller of Rockler products. Anyway, they've added a bunch of Rockler signage, bins, and their inventory is greatly expanded--much more hardware, Rockler router tables, finishing supplies, and power tool aids.

Floyd still does his Saturday seminars, and they still have a lot of their old inventory (General Finishes and power tools).

No Lie Nielsen or Veritas hand tools, though.

Don Carter
11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Danny:
What is the address of the Woodwork Shop? Why do you think it is that Memphis does not have woodworking retailer. I just ordered and received a new lathe and had to ship it across country. Birmingham has the closest Woodcraft. I have always wondered why Memphis has nothing.

Danny Thompson
11-06-2008, 3:29 PM
It's a little off the beaten path, on a back road near the Wolfchase Galleria Mall (I-40 and Hwy 64/Stage Road). The address is 8500 Wolf Lake Dr # 101, in Bartlett, TN 38133. Here is link to the Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+woodwork+shop+memphis&fb=1&cid=0,0,14908135381874835250&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Could be Memphis is a real low-cost oriented market, but I don't know. There are places here, Colco Fine Woods, Craigs Lumber Hardwood Shop, Southern Woodworking Machines, Memphis Machinery. Colco recently started carrying Steel City and lots of Freud products. Woodwork Shop has some Rikon and Shop Fox.

Ironically, with FedEx here, it would be a great place for a mail-order oriented company, like Lee Valley.

Don Carter
11-06-2008, 9:06 PM
Danny:
Thanks for the info. I will check it out the next time I am in Memphis. You are right, it would seem that Memphis would be a natural for mail order business. I have been hooked recently on wood turning and now own two lathes. Everything I buy, I buy off the internet. Let's keep hoping.;)