PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Engraving Cutters

Scott Shepherd
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I need a rotary engraving cutter in a diameter than I cannot find and I need it fairly quickly. I have ordered a catalog size one that should have worked, but it actually cuts .004" smaller than it's size, and that causes me a problem for this application.

Anyone know a good source for the 1/4" shank, 6 1/4" long cutters where I can be specific about the sizes I need?

The ones I have came from Johnson Plastics and they are the one's that are undersized. I'm using this to plunge a hole, so I can't adjust anything, since the hole is formed by the diameter of the cutter.

Mike Null
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Scott

Call Antares direct or maybe David Lavagneri who is a member here can grind one to spec for you.

He just sharpened about 20 of my cutters and they are great.

Did you consider an end mill?

Scott Shepherd
11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes, I've considered the end mill, but the size is incorrect there too, so it would have to be ground as well, plus I have no way to hold it. I'd have to make a holder to hold it and at this point, I think it's just easier to have the original type cutter ground.

Thanks for the info, I'll get going on that right now.

Thanks!

Kenneth Hertzog
11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Scott

Marylin at www dot 2linc.com will have the cutters
I have purchased from them and they are quick to ship

ken

Mike Mackenzie
11-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Scott,

What size cutter are you looking for (the actual cutting tip size) I know you want 1/4" x 6 1/4 shanks.

Tony Lenkic
11-06-2008, 4:31 PM
Scott,

Another source is BITS & BITS out of Oregon.
They also have braille balls if someone needs.

As for your cutter I would second Mike Null suggestion. Have them ground to your needs and spects.