PDA

View Full Version : CNC type router milling machine

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 9:22 AM
Does anyone build a cnc type of mill in which I can install a router into for surface milling?

I have an application in which I need to mill both sides of the surface of planks of hardwood 7/8 inch thick, extremely smooth and perfectly flat. Ideally I need a thickness variation of the planks to be no more than .002 inches.

It does not have to be computer controlled, I don’t mind manual I just need to hold close tolerances. When I said CNC I was using that as an example to get the idea across of surface milling. But if there is an economical computer controlled unit I’d sure take a close look at it.

I was thinking about buying a milling machine for this, however the grizzlies are out of my price range and most of them don’t have the capacity I need; I’d like to be able to mill sizes up 12” x 18” (or larger) if possible.

pat warner
11-06-2008, 9:51 AM
Abrasive planers, a better choice, can mill to your tolerances.

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 9:57 AM
Abrasive planers, a better choice, can mill to your tolerances.

Do you mean a drum sander, such as the performax - jet?

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately for my application, I can't use any kind of abrasive process.

Also a surface planer or jointer will not do either, because some of the pieces will be too small to process safely - smallest size would be around 2 inches square.

I suppose at times I could make much larger blocks and plane them down then cut them up on table saw, but there will be times when that is not practical, or possible due to material shortage.

Keith Outten
11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Sean,

A tolerance of 0.002" is unlikely for a CNC router and secondly wood isn't the kind of material that will sustain that level of tolerance given how much it expands and contacts with temperature and moisture. A woodworking router doesn't have bearings that can sustain 0.002" tolerances and some high end spindles may not be able to work that close. Add to the bearing issue run-out in the XY gantry and the Z bridge and you have an accumulated tolerance beyond your specifications.

If you can't use an abrasive machining process i doubt you will find a soliution that is affordable...even if it is possible.