PDA

View Full Version : Bottle stoppers - newbie question

Rick Prosser
11-06-2008, 8:43 AM
I gotta ask about bottle stoppers.

Does anyone actually use them - or are they just for show?

I think the shapes and designs in the photos I have seen posted are great - but I have never seen or heard of anyone using a bottle stopper before. Then again...I don't get out much.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2008, 9:08 AM
I need to turn another one for my DIL. My youngest son dropped the acrylic one I made for the DIL and shattering the acrylic. He was pouring her a glass of wine when it happened. Yes folks do use them and they can be used for cooking oils such as olive oil and vinegars etc.

Frank Kobilsek
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Rick,

I sell and or give away about 100 stoppers per year. Yes people use them. But my joke when people ask if they work I say 'I don't know, if I open a bottle I finish it'

If you start turning and selling, stoppers work out a few designs that a shortrer or lower in profile for the white wine crowd, shorter stoppers fit in the fridge better.

I have an instructional story posted on the Central Illinois Woodturners website that you might find helpful. Enjoy

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Yes I use them and sell them. Make great Christmas gifts for the family.

Brodie Brickey
11-06-2008, 5:31 PM
If you looking for stoppers, check out Ruth Nile's stainless steel stoppers. They're low profile, and fit most any bottle.

http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html

She also has a number of examples of other turners work.

Don Carter
11-06-2008, 7:14 PM
Rick:
I have sold about 20 stoppers in the last couple of months. I have been selling to friends and family up until recently. A gift shop owner now is selling my stoppers for me. He pays me about half what he charges but I am still getting enough to help pay for my turning habit. :D
My wife just came in today and told me that I needed to turn about 25 more stoppers for the holiday season. I told her that this was just a hobby.;)
I make more of the silicon stoppers than the stainless. They are cheaper to make and I keep my cost down. I make the stainless stoppers for special customers. They are more ornate turnings and higher priced.
Hope this helps.
All the best.

Don

Richard Madison
11-06-2008, 9:06 PM
As Ken said, they are widely used in some parts of Europe for olive oil and balsamic vinegar.