PDA

View Full Version : Cutting scrabble squares

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 8:04 AM
Hi,

I have been thinking about building a scrabble board. For cutting the small square scrabble letters, would a cabinet saw be recommended? Or should I invest in a small miniature type of table saw that model builders use?

Or would a band saw be better - safer?

Also what method would you recommend to square up the small pieces?

Mike Spanbauer
11-06-2008, 8:30 AM
Jig such as a table saw sled (with a zero clearance insert) and care not to cut the last section of the rough stock.

Basically, you'd cut up some strips to thickness and width of a piece, and then using that long strip in the jig, simply use the TS to create square tiles.

michael

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 8:59 AM
Jig such as a table saw sled (with a zero clearance insert) and care not to cut the last section of the rough stock.

Basically, you'd cut up some strips to thickness and width of a piece, and then using that long strip in the jig, simply use the TS to create square tiles.

michael

OK thanks.

I ordered the Incra table saw fence and 1000se miter gauge with miter express package for my grizzly cabinet saw last week. Do you think this would be a good jig for this application?

Lee Schierer
11-06-2008, 9:13 AM
Unless you really want to make your own, you can buy replacement letter sets for $6.50 from Hasbro (http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_parts)

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 9:14 AM
Thanks,

Yeah, I kind of wanted to try making my own out of different kinds of wood.

Mike Spanbauer
11-06-2008, 9:17 AM
Hi Sean,

The fence won't matter in the cut I recommended as the fence is the only thing doing the work. The only thing that will make it tougher is repeatable cut lengths. A simple sled (just do a quick search, there are TONS of plans and advice on them here on the creek) will allow you to set a cut-off stop. This will ensure that each and every piece comes out the exact same length.

Then.... well, let's just say you've got some sanding to do :)

Mike

Chris Schumann
11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I think a bandsaw is safer for most cuts, but in this case, a bandsaw will certainly create less waste and allow work with smaller pieces with less safety equipment.

A set of 100 tiles (like Hasbro sells), figuring 1/8" thick and 1" square roughly cut, you could make a set with 1/4 bdft or so. That makes even the most exotic woods affordable: Ebony is about $100/bdft or so, and 50,000 year old kauri (works kind of like cherry) is $30/bdft.

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I think a bandsaw is safer for most cuts, but in this case, a bandsaw will certainly create less waste and allow work with smaller pieces with less safety equipment.

A set of 100 tiles (like Hasbro sells), figuring 1/8" thick and 1" square roughly cut, you could make a set with 1/4 bdft or so. That makes even the most exotic woods affordable: Ebony is about $100/bdft or so, and 50,000 year old kauri (works kind of like pine) is $30/bdft.

Yes I am also considering a bandsaw I like the idea of less waste than with a table saw - but what about squareness of the pieces? I was looking at the grizzly G0514X2 for doing reasaw work and also cutting small pieces. Do you think this machine would enable me to do the final cuts without needing to square up the pieces?

Also, I have a separate, unrelated application in which I need to cut some 2 inch square pieces of hardwood and hold the thickness variation to very close tolerances - smallest size down to 2 x 2 inches about 7/8 inch thick and I need to hold to tolerances to about .002 inches max thickness variation. Think this would be possible with a bandsaw without doing more work after cutting on bandsaw - if I used a 1.25 inch wide blade?

Joe Jensen
11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I think the biggest consideration other than safety is how you will sand them to ensure uniform thickness and overall dimensions. You want them to all be identical, and sanded on all sides.

How to proceed depends on what tools you have today, and how much you are willing to spend. It sounds like you don't have a cabinet saw or bandsaw today. Will this be the only project for the saw? I think a bandsaw is very safe, and easy to use, but harder to keep all the squares square and uniform. Maybe you can create a jig to use for sanding so all the tiles are the same shape?

Sean Rainaldi
11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I think the biggest consideration other than safety is how you will sand them to ensure uniform thickness and overall dimensions. You want them to all be identical, and sanded on all sides.

How to proceed depends on what tools you have today, and how much you are willing to spend. It sounds like you don't have a cabinet saw or bandsaw today. Will this be the only project for the saw? I think a bandsaw is very safe, and easy to use, but harder to keep all the squares square and uniform. Maybe you can create a jig to use for sanding so all the tiles are the same shape?

I own a cabinet saw, no bandsaw yet.

I would like to stay away from sanding, must have zero abrasive impregnated in the wood.

Joe Jensen
11-06-2008, 1:22 PM
I own a cabinet saw, no bandsaw yet.

I would like to stay away from sanding, must have zero abrasive impregnated in the wood.

If you can't sand, do you have a planer? I have a planer, and I would create long strips that were jointed and planed perfectly smooth and square, and then I would use a sled with a high quality crosscut blade to cut the individual squares from the strip.

Can I ask why you can't have any residual abrassive from sanding?

glen box
11-06-2008, 2:07 PM
If you can't use abrasives to smooth out the surfaces you could try using a rock polliser. simply put in a hand full of squares at a time and let it run for a couple of days. the friction of the pieces rubbing togethr inside the tubler will round the edges and corners. Hey, dont laugh I've tried it. It worked pretty good on some small dice I made.

Eric Larsen
11-06-2008, 2:24 PM
I see where this is going -- you're going to make the Q's and Z's out of something exotic like Zebrawood.

"Wow, you always seem to draw Q's when you already have a U. And now you're putting 'Quixotic' on a Triple-Word score. Amazing!"

Cheater!!! :D

Thanks,

Yeah, I kind of wanted to try making my own out of different kinds of wood.