PDA

View Full Version : Globaltooling planer blades

kevin willis 557
11-06-2008, 7:48 AM
I just purchased my first jointer (powermatic model 54) and I live it. (Thanks Sam). I do however need to get some replacement blades for it. I have been recommended a site called globaltooling.net. Has anyone heard of these guys? Are the blades they offer any good? I am looking at getting a set of three carbide tipped blades. let me know what you guys think.

Curt Harms
11-06-2008, 8:40 AM
I was looking at Global Tooling and came across a set from Freud for about the same price. I don't know but suspect they're similar to Grizzly, Sunhill etc. Another source I would look to for cutters is Infinity (http://www.infinitytools.com/departments.asp?dept=1108). Right or wrong, I regard Freud, Infinity, CMT et al a step up. IMO a big buck well tuned machine is not going to behave like a big buck machine with mediocre cutters installed.

HTH

Curt

Brad Townsend
11-06-2008, 8:46 AM
I got a four knife carbide tipped set from them for my jointer about a year ago. Price was right, delivery was fast, and I haven't touched the knives since I installed them. My experience with them was very positive.

scott spencer
11-06-2008, 8:57 AM
I was looking at Global Tooling and came across a set from Freud for about the same price. I don't know but suspect they're similar to Grizzly, Sunhill etc. Another source I would look to for cutters is Infinity (http://www.infinitytools.com/departments.asp?dept=1108). Right or wrong, I regard Freud, Infinity, CMT et al a step up. IMO a big buck well tuned machine is not going to behave like a big buck machine with mediocre cutters installed.

HTH

Curt

I've never tried the blades from Global Tooling, but will give a big +1 on Infinity. I have a set for my jointer...the steel is simply a better grade and are clear step up from the stock blades. IIRC, I got them from Hartville Tool.

Bruce Wrenn
11-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I got a couple of sets of knives for my 6" Grizzly jointers. With shipping both ways, they are cheaper than sharpening. But I just stick them in the box with saw blades going out to sharpening, so shipping isn't a factor.

Russ Massery
11-08-2008, 9:47 AM
Another plus with Global Tooling planer blades are made from T-1. Which holds a edge longer then M-32 which most blades are made from.