PDA

View Full Version : Roubo Bench in Action

Jameel Abraham
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I made this short video showing some of the capabilities of my Roubo German Cabinetmaker's bench. I thought it would fun to share. I sure had fun making it. This bench is turning out to be worth every ounce of sweat I poured into building into. We're talking a lot of sweat too. This sucker weighs almost a quarter ton. I'm also loving my tail vise. So far I don't miss the open jaws of a typical tail vise, which I used previously for about 8 years. The wagon vise really offers a lot of strength-to-versatility ratio that a typical tail vise can't match, in my opinion.

Roubo Bench Video (http://khalafoud.com/media/roubo.wmv)

Johnny Kleso
11-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I could not just click and view it :(
I had to right click and save target as becase it kept loosing packets and starting over..

When I did see I loved the floating face vise I never seen that before..

I would upload it to Utube and add a link to better share it..

John Dykes
11-06-2008, 1:46 AM
Wow - agreed... that face vise setup is amazing!!!

Wonder if it's too late for me to change designs!

Seriously, thanks for sharing - enjoyed it a great deal.

- jbd in Denver

*Edit: Care to post the plans \ construction details? :o

Jim Koepke
11-06-2008, 1:55 AM
I had to right click and save target as becase it kept loosing packets and starting over..

That happened to me once, but found that pausing the video kept that from happening.

Nice video, enjoyed the music too.

Now I want to build one. I think there are some big maple trees down by my creek.

jim

Doug Shepard
11-06-2008, 5:32 AM
Loved the video. Loved the bench. But where's the oud music?

Alan DuBoff
11-06-2008, 6:57 AM
Beautiful bench. The definitive twin-screw.

Jameel Abraham
11-06-2008, 7:28 AM
Glad you guys enjoyed it! Johnny, maybe it's on your end. Mine buffered to 100% in maybe 20 seconds. You never know though. You tube, that's a good idea.

Ron Brese
11-06-2008, 7:49 AM
Jameel,

That bench is a wonderful tool. It's amazing what one can do with a good bench and well fettled planes.

Ron Brese

Joe Cunningham
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Great video! You really showed a lot of the capabilities of that bench. That sliding deadman vise combo (I'm not sure what it is called exactly) looks like it must have taken a lot of work, but wow the flexibility of work holding seems to be worth it.

As far as downloading:
I have a super-fast connection and that took close to 10 minutes to download. It wouldn't stream it. I've downloaded items 10x larger in a 1/4 of the time (or less). The bottleneck is likely on the server-end. Youtube would be a great consideration.

Marcus Ward
11-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh God, must not give in to the urge to build another bench... .must be strong.... ARGHA!~!!

Really, that was a great video, and the bench is gorgeous and well built. Did you use the info in Schwarz's book to build it? I like the 'addon' vise quite a bit. Gah. Now I'm going to have to build one of these.

Chris Padilla
11-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Hmm, when I click on the video link, it immediately goes into download mode and it appears the site hosting the file is rather slow. I have an extremely fast connection here at work so I know the slow-down ain't on my end! :D

Alan DuBoff
11-06-2008, 2:17 PM
Hmm, when I click on the video link, it immediately goes into download mode and it appears the site hosting the file is rather slow. I have an extremely fast connection here at work so I know the slow-down ain't on my end! :D
Oh come on Chris, you know the company you work at is using a dial-up connection for the entire company...:o

Bruce Page
11-06-2008, 2:36 PM
I took a long time to load for me too but I really enjoyed the video. Cool bench!

Zahid Naqvi
11-06-2008, 2:37 PM
Jameel, that's a wonderful bench. The video was great. thanks

Paul Atkins
11-06-2008, 3:51 PM
Slow load on my end here too - DSL - but worth the wait. So that's how a bench should work! My 150 lb. bench walks all over the place with a heavy cut on the #7. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Padilla
11-06-2008, 3:55 PM
I got it to load and it was a fine video! I am now thinking twice about my bench design! :)

Marcus Ward
11-06-2008, 4:11 PM
What is the length of the bench?

Greg Cole
11-06-2008, 6:08 PM
Wow. Seriously. That tail vice is cool as all get out.
Where was this video a month ago? I was lusting for a LV twin but now not so much.
Thanks for sharing.

John Schreiber
11-06-2008, 7:16 PM
Wow! Really. A beautiful bench. A very nice video which is also a fine tutorial on planing. The set of face vises work beautifully.

That wagon vise setup is super-duper slick. Are you the one manufacturing it? Clamping inside the slot had never occurred to me.

Dave Anderson NH
11-06-2008, 7:54 PM
Jeesh Jameel, that bench makes the one I'm building look positively wimpy. I truly believe you when you say you sweated over it. After an hour or two of work on mine I was positively dripping. I like the video. The versatility of the double leg vise setup is fantastic.

Ron Brese
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm installing one these vices in the bench that I'm bringing to Berea. I gotta tell you it's one serious piece of hardware and yes Jameel is selling these thru the Benchcrafted site.

Ron Brese

Doug Shepard
11-07-2008, 7:10 AM
I'm installing one these vices in the bench that I'm bringing to Berea....

I'd find a travel bench build as well as the vice install interesting.
Thread please.

Marcus Ward
11-07-2008, 7:43 AM
Chris Schwarz is installing one of these vises on his bench, he said he'd be blogging about it.

http://benchcrafted.com/vises.htm

Jameel Abraham
11-07-2008, 8:27 AM
Oh God, must not give in to the urge to build another bench... .must be strong.... ARGHA!~!!

Really, that was a great video, and the bench is gorgeous and well built. Did you use the info in Schwarz's book to build it? I like the 'addon' vise quite a bit. Gah. Now I'm going to have to build one of these.

Thanks Marcus. I did use Chris' book for the basic dimensions and some building techniques.

What is the length of the bench?

I think it finished out at around 99".

Wow! Really. A beautiful bench. A very nice video which is also a fine tutorial on planing. The set of face vises work beautifully.

That wagon vise setup is super-duper slick. Are you the one manufacturing it? Clamping inside the slot had never occurred to me.

Yes. You can see them at the Benchcrafted (http://benchcrafted.com) website.

Jameel Abraham
11-07-2008, 8:35 AM
Jeesh Jameel, that bench makes the one I'm building look positively wimpy. I truly believe you when you say you swofted over it. After an hour or two fo work on mine I was positively dripping. I like the video. The versatility of the double leg vise setup is fantastic.

This bench makes ME look wimpy, Dave. It's overbuilt, as I think a bench should be. But your bench is a beauty. The Emmert alone adds some serious mass that a thicker top would provide. I've never used and Emmert, but was always intrigued by them. The sliding vise is sweet. But having to step around the screw's hub takes some forethought. A low-profile set-up here would be welcome. I'm still brainstorming that.

One more thing, I don't know why the video is slow to download for some. I'm just not savvy enough with this sort of thing...

Gary Herrmann
11-07-2008, 8:38 AM
I watched the video last night. Very well built. Very inspirational. I've been thinking Roubo. The sliding vises and the tail vise are great.