PDA

View Full Version : Help on big glue-up

Craig Hemsath
11-05-2008, 7:47 PM
I'm nearly finished on my crib (post pics by this weekend *fingers crossed*). I'm ready to glue up the side gates that you raise/lower. All it consists of is a narrow top & bottom rail with 15 slats between. All M&Ted in.

How do I get this all together and get it square and clamped before the glue is too far set? I've dry run the put together and it takes me quite a few minutes to get ready to clamp, I'm afraid it'll be too long for the first glue I put on.

Do I just work fast, or is there any tip anyone has? Appreciate any response.

Lee Schierer
11-05-2008, 8:17 PM
Consider having a helper or, another way would be to dry assemble the top and only glue the bottom. Then when the glue dries, remove the dry fitted top and glue those parts. Assembly should take you half the time required to do the entire glue up in one pass.

Denny Rice
11-05-2008, 8:27 PM
Why not consider using a slow setting wood glue to give yourself the extra time you need to get everything togeather and make sure it is square. Just a thought.

Craig Hemsath
11-05-2008, 9:16 PM
I thought about a slow glue, but what would be a good one other than Gorilla Glue type glues. I really really hate using that slimy sticky crap.

Denny Rice
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Craig,

I'm with you on the slimy GG style glues. There are a couple of ways you can go about this if your not into using a slow dry epoxy either:

1. You can use an orginal style yellow gue (example Titebond orginal) and Titebond says you can dilute the glue about 5% and increase the open time by 50%. So you can take 1 part water to 20 parts glue and mix and this will increase the standard open time of this glue which is 5-10 minutes and increase the open time to 10-20 minutes. DO NOT go over the 5% dilution or it will severly cut the glues ability to hold and will become very runny and hard to work with.

2. Titebond also makes a liquid hide glue and it has a standard open time of 10-20 minutes. I have not bought any of this for a long time but the last time I was at Woodcraft in my area I seen it on the shelf. The bad side to this glue is the set-up time, I have used this glue but I suggest you allow the glue up to set for 24 hrs before working with.

Garrett-Wade also sells a wood glue that has a open time of 30 minutes, I really don't know much about it. I have never used it.

Hope the info helps.

Mark Smith, too
11-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Titebond Original Extend and Titebond II Extend have 15 minute open times and are available through online sellers.

Fyrman Dave
11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
I would tend to do what Lee stated above, glue the bottom then top or vice versa.
The way I would approach it is to pre-assemble the parts dry, then clamp temporarily across all the slats to hold them in place when you take the top/bottom off for gluing.

Howard Acheson
11-06-2008, 9:55 AM
>> I thought about a slow glue, but what would be a good one other than Gorilla Glue type glues. I really really hate using that slimy sticky crap.

Use a white PVA adhesive. The white has about double the open time of a yellow PVA. You can also use Titebond Extend which allows about double the open time of standard PVA adhesive.

Here's a couple of more things to consider.

All the slats do not need to be glued. Glue every other one or every third. It will be more than strong enough.

Apply glue only to the bottom row of tenons and mortises. Insert the slats in the rail and then just put on the top rail dry fitted without glue to keep everything in line and square. Once the bottom has dried, remove the top rail, apply glue and re-assemble and clamp.

Craig Hemsath
11-06-2008, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the help folks. I may try adding a pinch of water to my Titebond to give me some wiggle room then do 1/2 at at time. Blah, I hate glue-ups. Most stressful part to me.