PDA

View Full Version : Fred Sanford is Alive & Well in Savannah

Belinda Barfield
11-05-2008, 3:30 PM
When I first met my SO we had so many things in common. One thing, in particular, that I didn't think of as being a problem at the time. Boy, was I wrong! By nature I am frugal, and therefore a "saver", as in "I realize this piece of wire is only 2 inches, but I might need it for something later." (I prefer saver to pack rat, not being particularly fond of rodents.) Honey is a saver too. Great, right? Two peas in a pod. However, Honey takes it one step further. He is also a "gatherer" and drags stuff home in case we need it later. Today, he won the prize. He brought an ENTIRE private jet interior back to the shop with him.:eek: Apparently, once we win the lottery we will be using this interior to outfit the bus we are going to remodel . . . in our spare time . . . while we're still young enough to drive . . . Or maybe we'll just set the interior up in the shop and pretend to fly around the world. I'll send postcards!

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-05-2008, 3:36 PM
A private jet interior?? I've seen a lot of "pack rats" over the years...nothing like that though!

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2008, 3:56 PM
OK Belinda, we now have to genuflect in your SO's direction.

He's the King of the scroungers, we're not even worthy of being mentioned!

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Don't forget to come back in 10 years and tell us how much it cost you to dispose of the interior after you didn't use it. One of my cow-orkers is a pack rat, takes everything home.

Last year it cost him almost $400 to get rid of all the "free" stuff he got from work.....Good for a laugh.

Jason Roehl
11-05-2008, 4:49 PM
Belinda, we have a church mini-bus that we started to remodel on the inside for mission trips...care to make some donations or demonstrations? We would road-trip for outfitting! We've already pulled the wheelchair lift and begun installation of the kitchenette and A/V systems, but we're open to upgrades! :D

Chris Padilla
11-05-2008, 5:16 PM
This thread is worthless without pics!! :D :D

Bruce Page
11-05-2008, 7:47 PM

That's just what I was going to say!

James Jaragosky
11-05-2008, 7:50 PM
That's just what I was going to say!

Down the road about a mile from my house is a lady we sometimes buy eggs from. Her husband is a semi truck driver, he brought home a entire gun turret off a battle ship,
It now sits in their front yard.
Top that!
I'll get a photo next time I drive buy.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-05-2008, 8:14 PM

Chris!

How dare you call Belinda out.....are you suggesting she is being less than truthful?:rolleyes:

mike holden
11-06-2008, 7:16 AM
Dont think were calling Belinda out, we are just curious as to what a private jet interior looks like!
And what did the owner of the jet upgrade to?
And HOW did he obtain said interior?

Fascinating topic - yes, my wife and I are "savers" too!
Mike

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 8:45 AM
P.S. Don't forget to come back in 10 years and tell us how much it cost you to dispose of the interior after you didn't use it. One of my cow-orkers is a pack rat, takes everything home.

Last year it cost him almost $400 to get rid of all the "free" stuff he got from work.....Good for a laugh.

LOL . . . Back when we were doing residential stone counter tops we saved every stone remnant. We moved to a new facility a year and a half ago. After giving away everything we could we still paid around $1500 to have the rest hauled away for disposal.

Belinda, we have a church mini-bus that we started to remodel on the inside for mission trips...care to make some donations or demonstrations? We would road-trip for outfitting! We've already pulled the wheelchair lift and begun installation of the kitchenette and A/V systems, but we're open to upgrades! :D

Jason, I've never remodeled a bus. I'll check on the donations part for you though. I'm guessing Honey won't be letting anything go for a while.

Dont think were calling Belinda out, we are just curious as to what a private jet interior looks like!

Mike

Pics will be posted soon. Battery is charging for the camera. The owner of the jet just wanted a refurb, so everything was replaced. Our company is a vendor for the three jet builders/service centers here in Savannah. Honey dropped off some product yesterday to one of the companies and just happened to be there when they were getting ready to dispose of the "guts", so he loaded up a couple of trucks and brought it all back.

Curt Harms
11-06-2008, 9:04 AM

Mike

click here (http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft-for-sale/GULFSTREAM-G550/2005-GULFSTREAM-G550/1110645.htm?guid=1CDA793B62334D2E8D5E86A199629F8C) . Yeah, no middle seats here. These are "born" in Belinda's part of the world. Most are a bit more modest (http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-CITATION-CJ2/2004-CESSNA-CITATION-CJ2/1144090.htm?guid=1CDA793B62334D2E8D5E86A199629F8C) but still no middle seats.

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 9:19 AM
I'm a lousy photographer, but here you go. Not much to look at when it's all broken down. I couldn't get to the seats, so no pic.

100367 100368 100369 100370

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 9:21 AM
And two more, just to prove we even have the cup holders.;)

100371 100372

Chris Padilla
11-06-2008, 10:49 AM
LOL! The poor Delta drill press looks kinda buried! Interesting finds...interesting finds....

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 11:00 AM
LOL! The poor Delta drill press looks kinda buried! Interesting finds...interesting finds....

It definitely is buried, Chris. Even though we haven't used in a month or so, I'm sure we'll need it for something today! :rolleyes:

I think we'll the fold down trays and make us some fancy TV trays! Maybe mount one to the side of Honey's recliner so it just swings up and into place. Heck, he can even have a cup holder! ;):D

Bob Moyer
11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
When I first met my SO we had so many things in common. One thing, in particular, that I didn't think of as being a problem at the time. Boy, was I wrong! By nature I am frugal, and therefore a "saver", as in "I realize this piece of wire is only 2 inches, but I might need it for something later." (I prefer saver to pack rat, not being particularly fond of rodents.) Honey is a saver too. Great, right? Two peas in a pod. However, Honey takes it one step further. He is also a "gatherer" and drags stuff home in case we need it later. Today, he won the prize. He brought an ENTIRE private jet interior back to the shop with him.:eek: Apparently, once we win the lottery we will be using this interior to outfit the bus we are going to remodel . . . in our spare time . . . while we're still young enough to drive . . . Or maybe we'll just set the interior up in the shop and pretend to fly around the world. I'll send postcards!

http://www.trendhunter.com/images/phpthumbnails/10879_1_468.jpeg

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 1:35 PM
Bob,

It's so funny that you posted that pic. A couple of years ago one of the companies had a large plane, like 737 size, sitting out on the tarmac. The wings had been removed. We actually joked about trying to buy it and remodel it to live in. It would have looked very similar to this, minus the wheels of course.

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 4:08 PM
These are "born" in Belinda's part of the world.

Curt, our shop is five minutes away from the "delivery room".

Kevin Arceneaux
11-06-2008, 4:28 PM
Have you thought about:

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/household/packrat.html

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2008, 4:48 PM
Have you thought about:

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/household/packrat.html

Ummm . . . well, gee thanks Kevin. That's reassuring! :D

I think my problem comes from growing up in the country, outside of a small town. A "trip to town" was at least an hour and a half lost, and you probably couldn't get what you needed anyway. If the tractor broke down we just rigged it as best we could, so you never know when that piece of baling wire might come in handy.

Ben Davis
11-06-2008, 5:54 PM
Well, all I can say is that no UF graduate would ever lay claim to a thread like this!

mike holden
11-07-2008, 7:24 AM
Ben -
Qu'est-ce que c'est le "UF"?

Unidentified Flying? Ultra Fit? Utah Flame?

Mike

Belinda Barfield
11-07-2008, 8:08 AM
Well, all I can say is that no UF graduate would ever lay claim to a thread like this!

Oh Ben, I understand. It is sometimes difficult for the disadvantaged to rise to a position where they can acquire such treasures. :D

Ben -
Qu'est-ce que c'est le "UF"?

Unidentified Flying? Ultra Fit? Utah Flame?

Mike

University of Florida. I'm a UGA (University of Georgia) girl and Ben is a UF guy. Just a small little rivalry.

Ben Davis
11-07-2008, 8:45 AM
Belinda,

You clearly have not see the outskirts of Alachua county. The are veritable treasure troves under nearly every mobile home.

Belinda Barfield
11-07-2008, 9:02 AM
Belinda,

You clearly have not see the outskirts of Alachua county. The are veritable treasure troves under nearly every mobile home.

LOL . . .
I'm familiar with the area. I actually thought, for a brief period, about attending U of F. There, or FSU.

Treasure troves . . . oh no, Honey is already planning a road trip!

Steve Vaughn
11-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I'll bet those seats would make really cool desk chairs or kitchen table chairs.

:D:D

PS - I showed this thread to my wife so should would realize that I am normal. I have 2" pieces of wire.

Steve

Belinda Barfield
11-10-2008, 8:45 AM
I'll bet those seats would make really cool desk chairs or kitchen table chairs.

:D:D

PS - I showed this thread to my wife so should would realize that I am normal. I have 2" pieces of wire.

Steve

Yes, Steve, we're quite normal!

Okay, story about seats. Honey traded a buddy some scaffolding for a work truck. Just a beater really but the price was right. The truck was a Chevy pickup with a vinyl bench seat. Totally unacceptable! So, we drove over to the salvage yard and did a search through all the wrecked vehicles to find the perfect seats. We ended up with two rear captain's chairs from a really nice conversion van. :rolleyes: