PDA

View Full Version : Leaded glass?

Shaddy Dedmore
05-27-2004, 4:16 PM
I searched for a previous post, but Leaded didn't come up in Laser Engraving.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I heard that you can laser Leaded glass, but you have to be careful because the lead will expand at a different rate than the glass, then Crack.

So... What are some settings that might work for a 35W epilog (if you can at all)

I was thinking about offering custom engraving for a flowershop's vases, seems like a good market. Plus, they might clear off a shelf for me to sell knick-knacks through them. Leave some wood or anodized aluminum business cards and you might have a good source of advertising. Might be a great place for some of those boxes I've seen on this forum. And put together a new-years/b-day/wedding package of a basket with their plants/flowers and my engraved champagne bottle/glasses.

I'm getting close to buying, but am still nitpicking some details, like the leaded glass.

Matt for picture framing... Does that engrave well? Doesn't seem like it'd vector cut well, because you usually cut those at an angle so you can see the color diff, is there a way around that? Just seems like if it engraved well, you'd be able to come up with some spectacular framed pictures. (as long as you didn't go too overboard and take too much attention away from the picture). Plus I'd be limited to 12" wide with the Epilog mini ot 24 TT. But still would make nice smaller frames.

sighhhhh, and I had another Q, but I can't remember, why don't I write this stuff down?

Thanks

Shaddy Dedmore
05-27-2004, 5:38 PM
I'm looking at the Epilog Mini and the 24 TT, Rep said they don't come with exhaust fans, but suggested Jet.
I found
Jet 708616K 650 CFM Single Bag Dust Collector

on amazon for 180. Is 650 enough, or is it overkill. Could I get by with a wet/dry vac with an out-go that I could port to the outside?

Are there other viable options that might be cheaper (so i can save up for the rotary attachment)

For my knowledge, would someone take the time to explain why exhausting is important? I know it can create noxious fumes, but why couldn't a small shop just open the garage door, like when painting or staining. Could the fumes also be combustible?

Thanks

SteveKrim
05-28-2004, 7:18 AM
Hi Shaddy -

About the exhaust - part of the issue is the fumes, the bigger issue is the tiny particulate matter that floats around inside the enclosure. This will quickly pollute your mirrors and decrease the life / effectiveness of the laser. My exhaust system is a penn state DC, 650 cfm is just about right, I don't think a shop vac would work - not enough power!!!

Good luck,

Steve

Aaron Koehl
05-28-2004, 8:31 AM
Matt for picture framing... Does that engrave well? Doesn't seem like it'd vector cut well, because you usually cut those at an angle so you can see the color diff, is there a way around that? Just seems like if it engraved well, you'd be able to come up with some spectacular framed pictures. (as long as you didn't go too overboard and take too much attention away from the picture). Plus I'd be limited to 12" wide with the Epilog mini ot 24 TT. But still would make nice smaller frames.
Matteboard (matboard) does engrave okay--burns brown. However, I would suggest masking it and paint filling it. Of course, there are so many other materials that look good hanging on Matte that the laser works with even better.

Matteboard is great for vector cutting--it cuts smoothly. However, as you said, the laser can't produce the nice angle you can get with a CNC matte cutting machine, and the edges don't stay white (or whatever color)--they burn. Thus, engraving/cutting matte is okay for lower priced jobs, and it works great for building 3D models, but you can't compete with the higher end framing.

Keith Outten
05-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Think Outside The Box!

Coat your leaded glass with wet newspaper before engraving, this will cool the glass during engraving and actually provide an absolutely pristine project.

You can cut and engrave matteboards from acrylic or plastic materials which are available in a huge selection of colors and styles...you don't have to use paper matteboard, although you can. This gives you an edge that the professional framers don't have :)

Exhaust Fans: Check your laser manual, the minimum required is probably 400 CFM which the smallest dust collectors should be capable of, to much flow will cause problems...sometimes I have to open a valve to reduce the CFM through my engraving cabinet. A vacumn will not meet the specs for any engraver I know of, they just don't have enough flow.

Shaddy Dedmore
05-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I'm sure I'll have tons more soon.

I just got off the phone with my Epilog Rep and ordered a pre-owned 35W 24TT with an air-assist/vector grid/rotary option package. I'm hesitant about prewowned stuff, but it comes with a 6 month warrantee, so hopefully I won't get 'burned'. (sorry, bad laser joke, but I never said I was clever). Price was a big consideration for me.

Also got Corel 11, and they have some hands on training that I'm looking forward to.

Can't wait until I can post my first project picture. :D

I've seen a few files uploaded here for corel 'plans', is there a source out there for more of those?

I've decided to go with Grizzly for my dust collector. They have a 500 and a 450 CFM model for 129/139. (www.grizzly.com) Seems like a good price, and I've heard good things about Griz's other products. The 450 model looks easier to adapt to a laser situation: the bag looks like it's on a 4" port, so just remove the hose clamp and hook a hose to it and run it outside. The other models look like a lot more adapting to run an exhaust.

Anyway, thanks again