PDA

View Full Version : Good price for Honey Locust?

whit richardson
11-05-2008, 2:40 PM
I found a guy selling Honey Locust for $2.00 pbf. in the region. Is this a good price or maybe a bit better than average price? Advice and opinions?

Ronald Kellison
11-05-2008, 3:50 PM
I have never seen it for sale so I can't comment on the price. I can tell you that when it has dried it's a very hard wood and a bit coarser that black locust. It will age to a brown color akin to teak. It is hard on tools, and noticeably heavy. Heartwood is a bit more attractive than sap wood. It's been years since I've had a chance to work with it. Oh, yeah. . .don't try to climb the tree, the thorns will eat you alive! There. . .you know everything I know about honey locust.

Ron

Gary Herrmann
11-05-2008, 5:16 PM
I like honey locust and $2 per bd ft is a very good price, if it has that beautiful variable coloring in it. Post pics if you get some.

Wade Lippman
11-05-2008, 8:25 PM
I'd buy all I could get.
I have turned stuff I found by the curb and it is lovely; but never seen any for sale.

John Thompson
11-06-2008, 9:18 AM
Unfortunately... about any wood with the exception of pine.. poplar.. red oak.. basswood is a good price at $2.00 a board foot in my area anymore. At $2.00 a bf I would buy it even if I didn't have a project for it in mind at the moment.

Sarge..

whit richardson
11-07-2008, 5:08 PM
Okay folks. I called the guy and he is a Woodmizer small operator and tree expert! He found a rare double trunk specimen and has a good bit of it. I'm headed up to his place tomorrow to get some or all.

Now you tell me not to climb that sucker ... I was three limbs up...

He also has Red Elm for 1.50 pbf and some Sasafrass (sp?)

I'll post pics too.