PDA

View Full Version : How make CA accelerator?

Terry Quiram
05-27-2004, 3:58 PM
Does anyone have a home brew recipe for CA accelerator?

Thanks
Terry

Jim DeLaney
05-27-2004, 4:36 PM
Baking soda in water will do it.

Russ Filtz
05-27-2004, 4:40 PM
From what I remember from making airplane models, using an accelerator will make the glue joint weaker. Something to ponder if it's a critical joint.

John R Lucas
05-28-2004, 2:57 AM
I have used several CA products and have assumed the accelerator is not generic but made to work with its other half ... the CA. The spray is so inexepnsive compared to the CA, I don't think I would try to use any other accelerator that the one that is part of the CA glue set.

Mac McAtee
05-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Anytime you want to know what something is made of, like this case, you contact the manufacturer. Ask them to send you a Material Safety Data Sheet on the product. One for the glue and one for the accelerator. When you get it you will see the chemicals that are involved in both products. If the accelerator is baking soda then you will see something like Sodium Carbonate or what ever baking soda is. If the rest is water it will say that or say "inert ingredient" and likely will tell you the concentration of the chemical. Along with that there will be a bunch of stuff about spills, contact with skin, breathing aerosols and so on. The manufacturer must supply these if you request it. There should be no charge for it and you may even find it on the company's web site.

Businesses are required by OSHA to have a MSDS on hand for every chemical that is used in their business.

Terry Quiram
05-28-2004, 9:27 PM
Thanks Mac, thats solid information that I am going to follow up with.

Regards,
Terry