PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of honey dippers!

Jeff Nicol
11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Howdy fellow Creekers!

Here is a picture of a bunch of honey dippers I was commissioned to make for the art show and demos at my cousins art gallery this weekend. One of her potters is making the honey pots and I did these! Lots of fun, silver maple and black cherry. I need to make more as the other shop I have things in wants some now also!

Taking a break for a while!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Great looking bunch of dippers Jeff. Sounds like you will be busy making more. Congrats on the commission.

Lucas Bittick
11-05-2008, 1:39 PM
I love the right tool for the job, even when dipping honey.

Those look great, Jeff. Did you put an oil or finish on them, or leave the wood open?

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2008, 2:31 PM
Nice work Jeff! I would think those would be real popular! Congrats on the sales!

Jeff Nicol
11-05-2008, 2:38 PM
Lucas, I use some foodgrade mineral oil and shave some beeswax in a small jar. The oil kind of breaks the wax down and thins it out, then rub it in good let sit for a while and rub it out. Protects and seals it pretty good. After using a wash in warm soapy water (NO dishwasher!) Then you can put on some mineral oil or some butcher block oil to keep it lasting a long time! They are fun to turn and a good way to practice the skew. I used the skew and a parting tool to turn them. Used up a lot of little chunks in the shop. They are 6 1/2" by 1 1/4" around the big end.

Thanks,
Jeff

Paul Douglass
11-05-2008, 8:59 PM
Nice job. I like the longer handles. Won't get honey on the fingers, than again don't get to lick it off the fingers either.

Eugene Wigley
11-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Jeff, The honey dippers are verry nice. Congrats on the commission.

Jon Lanier
11-06-2008, 3:14 AM
Those look good. I bet they are harder than one would think. Especially for us people who can't do handles very well... or finials.

Jeff Nicol
11-07-2008, 2:38 PM
Jon, I kind of get in the zone and if I had another hand I think I could turn them really fast! I love spindle work and will have to do some more! I dropped them off at my cousins and she was just tickled pink! The potter who is making the pots wants some more along with some small salt spoons! Anybody figure out how to clone yourself yet? Just make sure my clone has good shoulders!!! Just got home from getting our little dogs eyes fixed in Minneapolis/St.Paul so I checked SMC and here I am posting away! Going to rest for a while now, I can't type any more.

Thanks,

Jeff