PDA

View Full Version : Power Sanding Question

Jason Christenson
11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I just got myself set up for power sanding with a cheap close quarters drill from eBay.

I bought a selection of the yellow sanding disks from Craft Supply but they don't really seem sturdy enough to me, and it seems like they skip a few grits too.

I'm wondering which disks everyone here uses and where they get them.

Has anyone tried the disks sold at industrialabrasives.com?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Jeff Nicol
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Jason, I went onlind and found a site that sold hook and loop sand paper in 30' rolls. They have everything from 80 grit to 600 grit and the cost is less than buying a pack of 50 precut discs! I use an old pair of heavy scissors to cut out what I want and go from there. So the yellow discs are good for starting out but they don't last long if you use to much pressure. Less force is better for the discs and the wood because not much heat is produced. If you push to hard and heat up the wood you could cause checking and cracking as it drys to wood to fast as you power sand. If you can afford it the purple paper from 3M is great stuff but it hurts the wallet! I will find the website where I bought the rolls from and post it.

Jeff

Bob Hallowell
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
They are very good, but I like Vince's Blue disc even better.
http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
Bob

Jeff Nicol
11-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Jason, Here is the site that I got the rolls of hook and loop from:

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/holosaro.html

Check it out!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Jason I buy the yellow disc from CSUSA both the round and wavy ones. I don't have problems with them. One thing is don't put a tremendous amount of pressure on them. I did that when I first started and it generates heat which seperates the hook and loop from the paper. Use light pressure and let the paper do the work. I also am with Bob since I started using Vince's blue H&L discs. They are a little better in my thinking.

Jason Christenson
11-05-2008, 3:56 PM
I'm at the airport right now typing away on my BlackBerry. As soon as I can get my computer up and running I plan to check both of those out.

Thanks.

Jason

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2008, 4:36 PM
Another vote for Vince's Blue Discs!

Jeff Nicol
11-05-2008, 5:44 PM
Hey all, The rolls I have been buying are tough and inexpensive. For less than $20 I get 360 2" discs or whatever size I need to cut up to 4 1/2". So for my money I will cut my own! At less than 6cents a piece it is a tough price to beat!

Jeff

Bruce Smith
11-05-2008, 5:56 PM
Jason I use the Ryno hook and loop sandpaper that Industrial Abrasives market, I fine it to be a very good product. I purchase it by the sheet seems to me it measures 1 meter by 1 yard, I fabricated two punches out of pipe. One 2" the other 3" in diameter and punch out my own discs, certainly works great and quite economical. I have no connection with the company just a satisified customer.

Reed Gray
11-05-2008, 9:01 PM
Another vote for Vince's discs. I have tried everyting out there, and his are the best quality and value. They are the Thompson gouges of the sanding discs. He also has an excellent deal about sanding on his web site. Vince told me that he is selling sheet stock now, so if you want to punch your own, you can do that as well. I had a piece of 3 inch inside diameter pipe that I had reamed out about 1/16 inch on the inside so the discs were over sized. Sharper bevel on the outside, and micro bevel on the inside. A board over the top, and a piece of plastic for a punch board, or a big arbor press, and you will get the cost down some more.
robo hippy

mike fuson
11-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Jason I use the Ryno hook and loop sandpaper that Industrial Abrasives market, I fine it to be a very good product. I purchase it by the sheet seems to me it measures 1 meter by 1 yard, I fabricated two punches out of pipe. One 2" the other 3" in diameter and punch out my own discs, certainly works great and quite economical. I have no connection with the company just a satisified customer.

I ditto Bruce, even down to the punch out method. They are a lot better than the purple ones.

Bill Blasic
11-06-2008, 7:24 AM
The sanding disks that have worked the best for me are from Steve Worcester at http://www.turningwood.com/ They last longer than anything that I have tried and I have never had the hook and loop material seperate and I have been quite forceful at times. The mandrels he sells are also A1 in my book.

Cyril Griesbach
11-06-2008, 8:52 AM
Vince's blue discs get my vote and I've tried most of the others. Get them direct from Vince at http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/

I also like the purple ceramic discs from 3M but they only come as PSA and a very limited grit range as I recall.

Cyril

Reed Gray
11-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I did try some of Steve's discs. I could sand the outside of one 14 inch bowl, and half way through the inside, the disc was toast. With Vinces discs, I can get 2 bowls easily.
robo hippy

Darryl Hansen
11-06-2008, 1:07 PM
I used Industrial Abrasives Rhyno paper for several years and still have some of the sheets in the shop. It is great stuff and inexpensive relatively. I used a drill press with a rounded off and sharpened hole saw to punch out the disks. However, I am now a Vinces fan. His paper is mylar backed and outlasts all other disks. The IA stuff is great and does work well but the thinner Vince's paper does seem to last a wee bit longer although it does tend to tear on the edges because it is cut oversize and tends to flap when used on the drill. Make sure you blow out the drill bearings (through the exhaust holes) frequently. The rear ones bearings are not in grease and will clog up quickely with much sanding. I have cut down the wear somewhat by putting the filter material that is used for floor vents over the exhaust and inlet holes and it works.

Bob Bergstrom
11-06-2008, 1:21 PM
I buy my rolls from Klingpor's. Take a 3 1/8 hole saw and chuck in a portable drill. Spin the hole saw on a grinding wheel till the teeth are gone, and a bevel is produced. I cut disk in a matter of seconds on my drill press. Use a block of wood under the hole saw. The 3 1/8" hole saw will produce a nice 3" disc. 2 1/8 hole saw produces a 2" disc.

Jason Christenson
11-06-2008, 8:48 PM
It sounds like Vinces disks might be the way to do, and the fact that he accepts PayPal doesn't hurt.

One question though, why are they 2 3/8" instead of 2"?

Jason

Vince Welch
11-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Obviously there are some differences in discs. Paper backed, cloth backed, film backed. Different abrasive such as silicon carbide, Aluminum oxide, etc. Feel free to contact me and I will do my best to explain the differences so you will have a better understanding of what are needing. Also if anyone needs some samples to try please contact me as well. Thanks, Vince

Reed Gray
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Jason,
I prefer my discs a bit over sized. With a disc that is 3 inches exactly, it never seems to get centered exactly, so there are some of the hooks extending beyond the sanding disc. I did get some scratches from the hooks, or rubbed them off. The over sized discs function like the wave discs, but without the wave. I think they could be smaller, like 3 1/8, and still work fine.
robo hippy

Jason Christenson
11-14-2008, 9:19 AM
I received some free samples from Vince yesterday. I can't wait to give them a spin, hopefully this weekend.

Jason

Vince Welch
11-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Jason,

The reason they are 2 3/8 is so the extra disc rolls over the edge of the radius innerface pad. It works great for the inside of bowls and platters like many people like to turn.

Vince