PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Sawn Pecan

Michael Weber
11-05-2008, 9:08 AM
Other than maybe stability, are there any other reasons for quarter sawing pecan? Figure?
thanks, Mike

Rich Souchek
11-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Nope, there is no reason for quarter sawing pecan wood, other than forgetting that the wood being cut is pecan, not oak or sycamore.
I've cut a lot of pecan for bowl and turning blanks, and some slabs for flat work, there is no appearance difference in flatsawn or quarter sawn pecan.
Rich S.

Michael Weber
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Nope, there is no reason for quarter sawing pecan wood, other than forgetting that the wood being cut is pecan, not oak or sycamore.
I've cut a lot of pecan for bowl and turning blanks, and some slabs for flat work, there is no appearance difference in flatsawn or quarter sawn pecan.
Rich S.
thanks Rich. some listed for sale in the local papers classifieds. Just wanted confirm what I thought before calling the guy.

Chris Padilla
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
An interesting thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75996) on this topic here on the Creek....

Richard M. Wolfe
11-05-2008, 1:03 PM
Quartersawing pecan might produce a little more stable wood, as it's notorious for warping when it dries. For appearance, however, there is no reason to quartersaw pecan. We've sawn a lot and the interest is generally in the pecky nature of the wood.

Michael Weber
11-05-2008, 2:07 PM
I called and among other questions ask him why he quartered it. Turns out he's learning how to use his new Woodmizer and did it just for the practice.

John Shuk
11-05-2008, 4:05 PM
I prefer the look of nearly all woods quartersawn. I think you gain a certain glow and opportunity for rays that you may or may not otherwise get. I also like the linear orientation of the grain better. I won't speak to stability as it varies but my eye tends to be drawn to QS wood over flat sawn.

Frank Drew
11-05-2008, 4:15 PM
there is no appearance difference in flatsawn or quarter sawn pecan.

How's that? I'm not familiar with pecan specifically, but, medullary rays aside, wouldn't you tend to get crown figure with flat sawn and straight grain with quartered?