PDA

View Full Version : Purple heart in a cutting board?

Mark Rios
05-27-2004, 1:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a toxicity issue to worry about in using a couple of strips of purpleheart in a cutting board?

Thank you for your help.

Stefan Antwarg
05-27-2004, 6:43 PM
In a recent episode of woodworks, he used some purpleheart in a butcherblock style table top.

Stefan

Dale Thompson
05-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Mark,
Purpleheart is used extensively for many things in areas where it is abundant. I've never heard of any toxicity problems. The BIGGEST problem is that that stuff chips out, burns, etc. before it even comes off the wood rack and sees a blade of any sort. :eek: Good luck! :) :)

Dale T.

Mark Rios
05-28-2004, 4:50 AM
thanks to all for the info.

Ted Shrader
05-28-2004, 9:21 AM
Mark -

I have used it for several cutting boards as accent/contrast pieces. Nobody sick yet.

Make sure your tools are sharp because, like Dale says, it really splinters/shreds easily.

Ted

Alan Turner
05-28-2004, 9:48 AM
You will have fun with this wood on the TS. Your hands may well look like a porcupine (sp?) when you are through. Those splinters are sharp, and nasty. Work carefully.
Alan

nic obie
05-29-2004, 12:18 AM
We use one on a daily basis and haven't croaked yet.

I suggest using epoxy unless you want to re-glue the thing every 6 months. My wife washes it like any other dish and the water gets to it after a while. Maybe it's the oils in the purpleheart that keep it form sticking together. The Tightbond II holds the other laminations fine. It only splits on the purpleheart glue lines.