PDA

View Full Version : Turning Cypress

Eugene Wigley
11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Is green cypress ok to use for making a bowl? I am new and have never turned green wood. I just need some practice wood.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Madison
11-05-2008, 12:59 AM
If it's free, it's good. With unknown free green wood I would turn one piece to the usual thickness of 10 percent of the diameter, date and bag it. Turn another piece to finished thickness (maybe 1/4" or so) and just let it dry. You will learn about the turning and drying characteristics of that kind of wood for future reference, and get some practice in the process.

Cody Colston
11-05-2008, 6:58 AM
As said, any free wood is fine for turning.

Cypress is soft and will tear out unless extremely fine finishing cuts are taken but it sands very well, too. It is also super light when dry. I've turned bowls and hollow forms from it and also used it as accent on other stuff like vases.

Marty Sanford
11-05-2008, 8:44 AM
We sawed some logs this summer that had been cut for about two years. I took some of the thick pieces from the but cuts to play with. Even after being cut for about two years, it was still so wet there would be water splattering on my facemask. I did finish a bowl after some additional drying time. It is really light as previously stated. I showed to a buddy the other day and he said it felt like it was hollow.

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2008, 9:44 AM
Ditto what Cody said. I kind of found it like turning willow. Need a sharp tool for the finishing cut.