PDA

View Full Version : will this blade cut wood ?

Barry Bruner
11-04-2008, 5:16 PM
They had a dozen new Morse 131" ,10 tooth per inch blades at work for a saw they no longer own. My question is will they fit my GRIZZLY GO513X bandsaw and will they cut wood. It requires a 131 1/2" blade .I have a Temberwolf 4 tooth per inch on it and it cuts ok but not great. Anyway I have a dozen new blades. Barry Bruner

Howard Acheson
11-04-2008, 5:37 PM
Any blade will cut wood. The blades you have are either metal cutting blades or blades intended to cut wood slowly. They will not do a good job on wood much thicker than about 1". However, they may produce a very smooth cut in wood under 1" but you will have to feed slowly.

There are a number of factors that determine how a blade cuts. Some are intended to cut thick wood rather quickly. Some or designed to resaw lumber. Some are intended to cut smoothly but slowly. Some are intended to cut small radius curves. What kind of cuts do you want to be able to do?

Jack Briggs
11-05-2008, 8:21 AM
It will fit the Grizzly. There is a certain amount of adjustment that will allow a blade 1/2" shorter or longer than the optimum specified.

Barry Bruner
11-05-2008, 7:05 PM
I want to thank both of you for your information. I am sure they used them to cut metal but I would have thought that it would have had more teeth per inch of saw blade for metal. I am kinda intersted how it will cut wood. I forgot to mention they are 3/4" blades but that is another thing that makes me think Howard is right. Barry Bruner

Howard Acheson
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Teeth per inch are a factor relevent to the thickness of the material being cut. For example, thicker metal would require a blade with a lesser number of teeth while thin metal would require more teeth.

For optimum use effective cutting with any blade requires a certain number of teeth in the material as it cuts.