PDA

View Full Version : Simple Shell Tutorial Proposal

Mike Henderson
11-04-2008, 4:13 PM
The people who carved the flower did very well so here's the next carving challenge - a simple shell.

This is a bit more difficult than the flower but I still consider it a "beginner's" project - even if you've never carved before you should be able to carve this shell. It's also an applied project so you'll learn the techniques needed for good applied carving. Honduras mahogany.

Shells come in all different shapes and complexities. The following shells are considered a bit more difficult to carve and can be used as follow-on projects to take what you learn on the simple shell and extend it. Some of these look rough but that's because I did them while doodling in the shop. I did them to explore the techniques required to carve them and never intended to use the final product.

This shell is similar to the simple shell but has curved lines (which have to be sketched in). The most difficult part is keeping the lines at the bottom evenly spaced. This shell could be done by a beginner but is probably best as a follow-on to the simple shell. Basswood.

This shell may not look more complex but it is - it's not a good beginner project. The techniques used to create this shell are the same as in the Townsend and Goddard shells - this one is just smaller. Honduras mahogany.

This one is a bit more complex than the previous shell but not by much. It requires hand sketching to get the curves and the carving techniques are more complex than the simple shell. This shell and the previous shell require more gouges to keep the shape through the flutes. Honduras mahogany.

As before, it three or more people commit to carve the simple shell and show their work, I'll do a tutorial on it. Let me hear from you.

Mike

[Oh, I forgot to guess the tools. My best guess at this time is:

#12/6 V-tool
#2/5 gouge
#2/14 gouge (this one is variable. You just need a fairly flat gouge and not too wide and not too narrow. Probably anything from 12mm to 20mm will work.
A gouge for cutting the curves on the outside of the shell. A veiner works well for this, maybe a #11/6. But wait till I check this out.

I'll post a better list after I do the carving for the actual tutorial. You can safely buy the first three tools, however.]

Glenn Clabo
11-04-2008, 4:28 PM
I'm going to stick this one...it sounds like fun.

Charlie Schultz
11-04-2008, 4:55 PM
I'm in again.

Zahid Naqvi
11-04-2008, 5:36 PM
me! me! me!
the need/desire to carve a shell was what got me started with this thing in the first place. I have the "Carving Techniques and projects: Sam bush, Mack Headley" DVD, it has a tutorial on carving a shell. I am sure I can find a piece of Mahogany as well, just for a change in taste from basswood.

Mike Henderson
11-04-2008, 5:57 PM
Okay, that's three. I'll start on the tutorial tomorrow and get it posted in a few days.

Of course, we're not limited to three so if you would like to participate, please post here.

Mike

Phillip Bogle
11-04-2008, 6:04 PM
I'm in. Though a bit slower than the last time. My tools are all Henry Taylor so I will have to guess what the tool is. If we have a bit of latitude on the carving then I should do OK. Buying more tools at this time is . . .not likely.

Can we do the project in wood on hand? I don't have any mahogany. Basswood, pine, yew, fir, alder, cherry, myrtlewood, Phil. Luan Mahogany, but no Honduran Mahogany. I really do not want to explain to the Mrs. why I need "that" type of wood.:D

Mike Henderson
11-04-2008, 6:20 PM
I'm in. Though a bit slower than the last time. My tools are all Henry Taylor so I will have to guess what the tool is. If we have a bit of latitude on the carving then I should do OK. Buying more tools at this time is . . .not likely.

Can we do the project in wood on hand? I don't have any mahogany. Basswood, pine, yew, fir, alder, cherry, myrtlewood, Phil. Luan Mahogany, but no Honduran Mahogany. I really do not want to explain to the Mrs. why I need "that" type of wood.:D
You can do it in basswood but I would recommend you get some mahogany just to have some experience in carving it. You can get one board foot which is going for less than $10 around here. The shell is small so 1bf will allow you to carve a number of shells.

I recommend that beginning carvers try different woods just so they know what the different woods feel like.

But you can do it in basswood quite well.

Mike

Phillip Bogle
11-05-2008, 3:02 AM
Mike: I live in such a rural area even my newspaper has a shipping charge. Typically when I buy most anything the shipping charge is equal to almost the same as the item I bought. I bought about 3bf of basswood from a place online in my state. Of the total price $30 was the wood and $15 was shipping. Even though I have a lumber yard close by the only guys that sell the nice stuff are over 150 miles from me.

I will use the basswood this time and if I make a 2nd one, I will use a nice chunk of cherry. I did a little bit of work on alder and that carved nice as well. Just so there is no question . . .dry cedar is YUK!:mad:

I want you to know I really appreciate you taking the time to help us learn. I am trying things I never thought I could do. I know you are not getting anything but our thanks -- so Thank You!

Doug Mason
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Count me in....