PDA

View Full Version : what gouge?

curtis rosche
11-04-2008, 2:15 PM
i plan on asking for a bowl gouge for christmas, what in you opinion would the best bowl gouge to get?
money is no issue

Montgomery Scott
11-04-2008, 2:21 PM
I would recommend getting the Thompson 1/2" V flute bowl gouge.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=BV

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2008, 3:35 PM
I second the Thompson 1/2" V flute gouges. I have one and it is awesome. Can do 3 bowls or so without sharpening.

Jim Becker
11-04-2008, 3:53 PM
Well, I'm an Ellsworth gouge fan, but folks do say nice things about the Thompson... :)

Bernie, you mean you don't touch up the edge for those final finishing cuts??? ;)

Richard Madison
11-04-2008, 4:56 PM
Why do you guys prefer the V rather than the U flute?

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2008, 4:57 PM
Well, I'm an Ellsworth gouge fan, but folks do say nice things about the Thompson... :)

Bernie, you mean you don't touch up the edge for those final finishing cuts??? ;)

Most times Jim I find it isn't necessary until the 2nd bowl. What I was talking was roughing bowls.

Brian Brown
11-04-2008, 5:06 PM
Gee Curtis, if money is no object, I'll run right out to the garage and grind one up for you. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Matt Hutchinson
11-04-2008, 5:34 PM
Well, my most recent tool purchase was a 1/2" Kryo bowl gouge by Henry Taylor. I don't know if its the shape of the flute or what, but it makes excellent finishing cuts. As far as edge life, I can't say I know if there's a big difference over regular tools. But as said, I am extremely pleased with its performance.

Hutch

john taliaferro
11-04-2008, 5:58 PM
1/2 ? i use my 3/8 a lot more often even on large stuff. nice looking tools :rolleyes: might just add to my list also. john t

Ron Bontz
11-04-2008, 8:07 PM
I would like to 2nd the question. Why the V gouge instead of the U gouge?

Jeff Nicol
11-04-2008, 8:44 PM
For roughing out I have a couple of Benjamins Best that I paid abour $22 apiece. The price is right and it only takes a second to put a new edge on them while roughing. Each one has a little different bevel and it works for me. I have an ellsworth that I use for finial cuts but usually my last cut is with a 1/4" Hamlet honed very sharp. I get fine hair curls that way and the sanding is much easier. So as you will find out every turner has lots of tools! Here are some of mine.

Jeff

Alan Trout
11-04-2008, 9:07 PM
I can give another glowing recommendation for the Thompson 1/2 V gouge. I really like mine.

Good Luck

Alan

Bob Hallowell
11-04-2008, 9:09 PM
I would like to 2nd the question. Why the V gouge instead of the U gouge?

It is all preference. I only own 2 bowl gouges so far a 3/8 pinnicale which is a v and a 5/8 crown pm which is a u shape. I find I reach for the v shaped for all but the heavy roughing and then only because of the heft not the u flute. When I finnally bite the bullet and buy a 1/2 and 5/8 v thompson's I will prolly never use the crown again. I just seem to have better control and can make smoother cuts with my v groove. But each person has their own technquie.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2008, 9:43 PM
Curtis - I am sure that Santa appreciates the 'money is no issue' statement! LOL The gouge I would suggest would be Doug Thompson's 1/2" or 5/8" V bowl gouge. I have the 5/8" V and find that the V does make a difference when roughing out bowls - the shavings don't get stuck in the flute near as much as a U shape! I also use the 5/8" for final cuts - so, to me - it is my go-to gouge that can do all the cuts I want.

Hope Santa comes through for you!

Curt Fuller
11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey, if money is no object why settle for one? Give Doug Thompson a call and have him get one of each in the mail and a couple skews and scrapers while you're at it. But just in case there's some sort of misunderstanding between you and Santa, a good 1/2" is about as versatile as they get.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I didn't know about Doug's gouges until recently.

I had purchased an Ellsworth 1/2" PM bowl gouge. Used it for the first time last week. Worked well.

Reed Gray
11-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I also recomend the Thompson gouges. The biggest difference between the HSS and the powder metals is in how long they keep the roughing edge, specifically the 'I can still hog off some more before it needs sharpening because the roughing doesn't have to be pretty' edge. The finish cut edge lasts a bit longer on the powder metals than it does on the HSS. Dougs gouges seem to be an exception here. I do most of my roughing with a scraper, and can get inside and outside finish cuts on 2 big bowls without having to sharpen.

As far as the V and U gouges, there are differences in them as well. I have an older Glaser V gouge that is a much deeper V than Dougs V gouge. I think that because of the deeper flute on the gouge, you get a better/steeper shear angle when cutting with the flutes more up, and the handle more level. The deep V isn't good for hogging, as it does plug up fairly easily if you are being very agressive. I find the V gouge more easy to navigate on the outside of the bowl than on the inside where I have more trouble going through the transition from the side of the bowl to the bottom. The U gouges are more open, and will clog less when roughing. The old Glaser gouge is more of a V, Dougs V is more of a U to me, and his U is more of a C to me. As far as size goes, get what feels good to you. I just prefer bigger heavier tools as they feel more comfortable in my hands. I can get just as fine of a cut with them as I can with the smaller tools, it is all in how much pressure you apply.

robo hippy

Bill Bolen
11-05-2008, 2:19 AM
I had the 5/8 Ellsworth for a year. Bought the 1/2" Thompson and right away noticed that I did not have to sharpen the Thompson nearly as much as the Ellsworth. Sold the Ellsworth and replaced it with a 5/8"V Thompson ground to the Ellsworth profile and am totally happy with it. They say the V will clear the wood chips easier than the U and it does seem to hold true.... Bill...

Bill Blasic
11-05-2008, 5:51 AM
My favorite is the Thompson 5/8 V followed closely by the 1/2 V and the 3/8 V. These tools stay sharper longer making the turning process a lot more fun. And where else can you get a money back offer that if you don't like it you can get your money back (as long as the tool hasn't been ground away).

curtis rosche
11-05-2008, 8:57 AM
money is no issue, cause i could ask for a gift certificate from all 3 sets of grandparents, and both sets of parents, plus the little bit of money i have.

so it looks like thompson is the way to go?
i assume that it is good for roughing and finishing?
i am also looking that it will hold the edge for long, since sharpening by hand takes for ever.

will it be able to handle very heavy roughing cuts?

curtis rosche
11-05-2008, 9:01 AM
lets change it a little, if i were to get 2 gouges, on for roughing and one for finishing what would be the best to get?

remember i am using a 9 inch lathe, i dont know if that would effect the size of the gouge. i assume they come in different lengths though. i plan on using it at school too.

curtis rosche
11-05-2008, 9:19 AM
would this be a helpful thing to get with them?
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Sharpening_Gauges___Woodcut_Tri_Gauge ___tri_gauge?Args=

curtis rosche
11-05-2008, 9:23 AM
would this be a good replacement instead of a roughing gouge, and then get this plus a finishing gouge?
are there any limitations to this tool, other than if you run out of tips?
http://www.easywoodtools.com/purchase.htm

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2008, 9:34 AM
Curtis I use a 1/2" V to hog and a 3/8" U for finish cuts which should work well with your lathe. Works well for me. As far as the gauge I wouldn't waste my money. I had one given to me and I haven't used it. This is what I use to measure my gouges.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Measuring___Gauges___Protractor_Depth_Gauge___dept h_gauge?Args=

Scott Conners
11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I'd get a 1/2" V and a 1/2" or 3/8" U Thompson if I were getting 2. I have a U at #1 on my next-to-buy list for working the inside transition of bowls, as I find I have trouble with the V in that position. I'd put an irish/ellsworth type grind on the V and a traditional short grind on the U. If you don't' have a grinding jig, I HIGHLY recommend one, it will save you money in the long run and eliminates many of the variable of sharpening so you can concentrate on learning to turn, not grind. The Wolverine is the most popular in the states, and I couldn't have learned without mine (I tried!).
You'll either have to make your own handles (need dry wood, or make a pipe handle) or buy a handle such as these:
http://www.bowlturner.com/
http://www.seriouslathe.com/woodturning-tools.php (I want one of these camlok handles)
http://catalog.trentbosch.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=87554

I've heard great things about the Ci1 tool, but I wouldn't replace a large gouge with it, I'd buy it as a supplement. You can do a bowl start to finish with a single 1/2" gouge, but not with just a rougher. I've heard the Ci1 needs a bit more powerful lathe to get full use as well.

I have one of these protractors for measuring angles, and I've seen Stewart Batty using the same one: http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Square-Head-Protractor/dp/B00004T7TB/ref=pd_cp_hi_1_img?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004T7TC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0K9B364S81QQJECJE7NV
They are available at most hardware stores.

Kim Ford
11-05-2008, 1:47 PM
I would recommend getting the Thompson 1/2" V flute bowl gouge.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=BV

I like the 1/2" U, personal preference but both are GREAT!!

Paul Engle
11-05-2008, 3:09 PM
Curtis, along with using carbide bits for roughing, I use a 1/2" V w/65* angle for inside bowl and a 1/2 U Irish grind and a 5/8 U Irish grind at 40* angle for fine finishing inside and out. If I had to pick two for the smaller lathe I'd go for the 1/2 V and 1/2 U (Henery Taylor)(finishing) altho the V finishes very nicely as well it really will take a heavy cut with out clogging as bad as the U.

scott schmidt grasshopper
11-05-2008, 3:21 PM
you said you had to hand sharpen? then I would suggest you put off gouge #2 and get a grinder. slow speed with the right wheels. this will make your world alot faster and happy turning time. I have a 6 inch delta with AO wheels and an ellsworth jig. ( 100 bucks for the grinder with wheels 50 for the jig) it fits in my small shop space and gives me as good a grind as the big 8 in ones. I made my own arm for it( for the jig) and also reworked the tool supports to grind skews/ scrapers etc,
as for gouge rec's I like my thomson 5/8V but if I spend my own money might get a P&n 3/8's . thats what I use for a finish cut on the inside. good luck

Skip Spaulding
11-05-2008, 5:04 PM
I love my Ellsworth, but I don't have a Thompson to compare!

Radek Kowalski
11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I was looking for a Bowl Gouge now. How is the SORBY Megaflute Bowl Gouge? Woodcraft has them on sale for $59.00. Thanks.

Barry Elder
11-06-2008, 8:15 PM
Curtis, the Thompson gouges are already sharpened, just make a handle, glue it, and you're good to go.

Mark Ebert
11-06-2008, 8:37 PM
You guys just cost me $100, as I just went to the Thompson site and ordered a 1/2" V gouge and a 3/8" detail gouge after reading all the good reports on his tools.

This past year I purchased a Jet 1642 and am still in the beginning learning stages. I have a few bowl gouges already (a Benjamons best and a Dick Sing creation) but I have not been too happy with the BB tool because it always clogs when rough turning. The Dick Sing tool is a 'one of a kind' so I don't want to wear it down to nothing while I'm just learning. I haven;t had too much time lately to do any turning but with the winter months rapidly approaching I'm looking forward to more piles of curls under my lathe :D

Dean Thomas
11-08-2008, 4:13 PM
Go to Doug Thompson's website and read his own thoughts on why the U or the V is the better choice. I think he explains his own reason fairly well. He feels that one clears the chips better than the other. His experience and preference.

For the price of one Ellsworth powdered metal gouge with a handle, you can get two of Thompson's vanadium steel, unhandled gouges. Turn your own handle or get a Oneway handle or two to house them in. SUPER value here, not just great tools.

The vanadium steel (V-10 for ThompsonLatheTools.com tools) grind to an edge and hold that edge better and longer than most of the PM tools and way longer than M-2 HSS tools. And they grind with the same wheels as the PM or HSS tools. Those are facts that have been born out over and over again. These are GREAT tools at exceedingly great prices. Doug is out to provide great gouges without gouging his fellow turners, pun intended. Low overhead helps him do that. It's almost a ministry more than a business, I think. Sure ministers to me, every time I pick mine up!!

Once you get it, you might want to think about sweeping the grind back into something that feels like an Ellsworth or an Irish grind. The folks I know who've played with that longer grind like it a lot. But use the tool pretty much as is before experimenting. It really is darned nice as it comes out of the packaging.

What size gouges ya gonna buy? I asked a friend who's a long time turner that question and his answer, with smile, was, "What size bowls ya gonna turn? Makes little sense to use a 1" bowl gouge on a 3" bowl or a 1/4" bowl gouge on a 24" bowl!" Seemed like logic to me once I heard it. Why couldn't I think of that? I was a much greener turner then. :o

Chris Stolicky
11-18-2008, 3:56 PM
I was looking for a Bowl Gouge now. How is the SORBY Megaflute Bowl Gouge? Woodcraft has them on sale for $59.00. Thanks.

Yeah, I just saw this and wonder if its worth it. I mean, it is certainly a hunk of decent steel! And less than half price.

I only have a mini lathe now, but will eventually get a 'real' lathe.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts with this apparently monstrous gouge?