PDA

View Full Version : problem cutting acrylic

james burchfield
11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
im trying to cut ornaments out of acrylic however it only cuts through all the way on the first one the others are only partly cut though and i iether have to force them out of the sheet or i cant get them out at all.

ive tried to lower the speed as the power and ppi are maxed does anyone have an idea what the problem might be

Craig Hogarth
11-04-2008, 1:12 PM
my best results are with medium power and very low speed. On my 35 watt, I have no problems cutting 1/8th at 45p/0.8s/1000ppi.

Doug Griffith
11-04-2008, 1:19 PM
It could be that your table height or beam is out of alignment.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-04-2008, 1:51 PM
Also check you mirrors, all of them, and make sure they are clean. That solved my issue when that happened to me.

james burchfield
11-04-2008, 2:37 PM
i tested on wood and this is what i got on the left hand corner its very strong but as it moves right it slowly fades on the picture the line should of gone across the whole board but it faded to nothing

the lines going down you can see also start to fade as they go down also the right line is slightly lighter than the left one

the mirrors are clean so im thinking it has something to do with the beam alignment

Tim Bateson
11-04-2008, 2:48 PM
James, I just resolved this very problem with a beam alignment. On my Epilog Mini it was a piece of cake.

BTW - if you're using a rubber target with the red dot for alignment - don't forget to take it out before firing the laser. Not that I've done that, or maybe I did. :eek:

james burchfield
11-04-2008, 3:01 PM
thanks tim thats what i think it is too could you tell me how to align the beam

Dee Gallo
11-04-2008, 3:25 PM
James, I had this problem a while back and my tech had me do an auto-focus test, then measure it to make sure it is correct (2"). Then, he had me try the manual focus and it was waaay off. When I reset it to the right distance, the whole bed burned evenly. Simple but effective. Someone else also had the same thing happen, so try that test.

cheers, dee

Rob Bosworth
11-04-2008, 3:34 PM
Jim, what laser system do you have?

If you are starting off with plenty of power, then the further you get from the laser source, the weaker the beam appears to be, you probably have an alignment issue. It could be a bad optic, but probably is an alignment issue. Once we know what kind of machine you have, someone will probably have an alignment procedure for you.

james burchfield
11-04-2008, 3:49 PM
i have a laser pro explorer 2

Don Gares
11-04-2008, 4:38 PM
James,

If you don't have the manual for the machine, I believe you will find it at http://tinyurl.com/6kc24n and it should have the alignment info.

Don

james burchfield
11-04-2008, 6:08 PM
thanks don that was a great manual better than the one i have how ever i didnt find anything on beam realignment i found how to adjust the autofocus though