PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone removed raise panel from door

Craig D Peltier
11-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a client who wants me to remove the panel from this door and replace it with glass. I have never done this but have seen an article where you set up a router with a straight bit and plunge into it say 1/2 inch wide by whatever determined depth along a straight edge on all 4 sides. Width of cut determined by groove.
Is there a better way? Could someone tell me how they did it?

Thank you

john bateman
11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
You can remove the old panel by drilling a hole near each corner and cutting between them with jig saw. Pull out the remainder with pliers.

Then use a rabbeting router bit, with bearing, to create a mortise on the back side of the frame, for the glass to rest in.

Jamie Buxton
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I've done it. Like you said, it takes a router edge-guided from the outside of the door. You are removing the back of the dado which currently holds the panel. To hold the glass in place, I milled up little moldings with an L-shaped cross section. The tip of the L contacts the glass, and the rest of the L wraps around on to the back face of the rails and stiles. Screws into that back face hold it in place. Before you use this molding shape, check to make sure you have clearance with any shelves. Of course, if they're the removeable height-adjustable kind, you can trim the back edge and move the shelf a little deeper into the cabinet.

David DeCristoforo
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Like you and Jamie said. But John's method works better. I've done it both ways. It's very easy to whack the panel with a handheld jig saw cutting to within maybe 1/2" of the frame. Then you can easily pull the rest of the panel tongue out of the groove and rabbit the frame.

Mitchell Andrus
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I've done it on the table saw. Set the blade just high enough to catch the inside panel stop and make plunge cuts. Clean-up the corners. Very simple to do.

Ron Bontz
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Just a thought. The only down side to these methods is the destruction of the panel. I've used those methods and they work well. I have also taken a plunge router, good router guide and a 1/8" carbide spiral bit and carefully cut out the the panel. If you change your mind later you don't have to build another panel. Obviously this only works well on square doors. Best of luck.:)

Craig D Peltier
11-05-2008, 9:29 AM
Thanks everyone for there help. I think I will drill , cut and then rout.