PDA

View Full Version : Turning Chuck

Brian Knop
05-27-2004, 7:55 AM
I what to try my hand at turning a bowl or two. I have a mid size jet lathe, what would be a good kind and size of chuck to start out with?

Thanks Brian

Dick Parr
05-27-2004, 8:16 AM
I am using the SuperNova Standard on my mini and it can be used on any lathe. It does a fine job and has lots of additioinal jaws to be added at a later date. I just installed the mini cole jaws onto mine yesterday and will try it out today. I can use the 50mm jaws on top of the cole jaws and use the wormwood screw to start out and this is without having to do any assembly or dissassembly of the different jaws. I can go from start to finish with the same set up.

Jim Becker
05-27-2004, 8:30 AM
I suggest you purchase a chuck that offers both interchangable jaws and interchangable threaded inserts...that way it's adaptable to different sized jobs as well as your "next lathe". I personally prefer the OneWay Talon on a smaller machine and even still use it on my big lathe. But the NOVA, Vicmark and Axmaster also offer nice options in addition to OneWay.

That said, you don't need a chuck to turn bowls. There are plenty of techniques to get the job done without one, although it certainly makes it easer in many respects.

Tom Hintz
05-27-2004, 9:33 AM
I use the SuperNova chuck on my Jet JWL-1236 and after using it a couple of years,don't know what I would do without it.
I have a review of it at the link below with photos and more info on it. I think it's a great piece of equipment that makes lots of things easier to do and safer.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/supernova.html

Dick Parr
05-27-2004, 9:48 AM
Nice review Tom.

Mark Kauder
05-27-2004, 11:39 AM
We woodworkers are netorious tool junkies - woodturners are no exception. Might I make a suggestion - use a faceplate and don't buy a chuck until you are sure that you need one. I make lots of bowl - though I am not a production turner, and I do sell bowls in galleries. I prefer the security of a waste block glued to the wood, and then screwed to faceplate.

Especially since you are just starting out, I suggest you try bowl turning for a while before buying a chuck.

Mark

Brian Knop
05-27-2004, 12:15 PM
The wood I will be turning is green, how well will that work for glueing up?

Brian

Mark Kauder
05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
It will work fine - Use CA Glue.