PDA

View Full Version : G0636X Bandsaw

John Stan
11-04-2008, 8:06 AM
Hi - Sorry to start another "What bandsaw to buy" thread. I am about to get one though and have searched through this forum for advice. What I have not seen is much feedback on the new Grizzly G0636X bandsaw. There were some threads about a year ago that were written based on reading the owners manual. Is there anyone out there that has actually laid eyes on this bandsaw, or better yet used it? If so, what are your opinions. The other saws I am considering are the MM16, MM20 (probably more than I need), and possbily an agazzani. The Grizzly is the most economical of the bunch. I also have a Grizzly jointer that I like and am aware of the great customer service that Grizzly provides. Those elements are causing me to look real hard at the G0636X. Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

John Hedges
11-04-2008, 8:44 AM
Personally I have only heard from 1 person who has bought this saw on several of the forums I visit. They seem to be very satisfied, but I don't believe they ever used one of the Italian BS's you have referenced here. I have also heard reports from people who have seen this saw at WWing shows and from what I gather they are a step up from the other Grizzly saws, but still not in a league with the Italian saws. Seems to be kind of a tweener saw and it seems most people would either save the extra cash and buy one of the other Grizzly's or pay a bit more and get an Italian saw.

I have an Agazzani and it is easily the best built tool in my shop (most of my other tools are PM, Jet, and one Grizzly, with the Grizzly being the least satisfying of my tools). I can tell you that Eagle tools who sell Agazzani is phenomenon as far as CS and there are several members here who will tell you the same thing. They check out the saw from head to toe to be sure it is perfect before shipping it and crate it like I have never seen a tool crated. With that said the MM is also very nice, and while it is more expensive it gives you more resaw, so if more resaw is important to you then the extra $$ might be justified. I have also heard nothing but praise for MM CS. So if your concerned about CS I dont think you can go wrong with any of the decisions you mentioned.

Shiraz Balolia
11-04-2008, 3:50 PM
John Stan - if you do not get a response from an actual user of this saw, please call the Grizzly toll free line and ask for a reference for that saw. They will find an owner close to your zip code that owns one and you can then get an unbiased opinion from an owner of the G0636X saw.

I am so confident about the quality and performance of this saw that I am willing to give my (biased) opinion openly on this forum - You will love this saw!

Prices are going up Jan. 1, 2009. Also, couple of new things that will be available in January.

1) An optional cast iron support table with an adjustable height leg (for when you tilt the table) that bolts on to the existing table. This gives you almost double the table size and allows better handling of long slabs or logs of wood.
2) A built-in motor brake. This is a separate model, I believe it is the G0636XB ("B" standing for brake). More expensive by a few hundred bucks, but motor and blade stop in less than 3 secs. after machine is turned off instead of coasting for a while. No foot brake on the "B" models - not needed. This saw was introduced at IWF show and was very well received with a lot of interest and positive comments from bandsaw users as well as magazines.

For those that are curious, the optional table will fit several different models of Grizzly bandsaws. There are also several models of the brake model saws that are being introduced in the 2009 catalog.

John Stan
11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Shiraz, thank you so much for posting a reponse to my question about the G0636X. The fact that you care enough about about an individual sale to post here speaks volumes. You have me intrigued with the automatic brake model. About how much more will it cost over the current 2008 pricing on the G0636X? Will the G0636XB be available in January? or will it be introduced later in the year? I was planning on making the purchase around the holidays before the price increase.

Also, in 2009 are you planning on introducing a larger "Ultimate" bandsaw to compete with the 20 inch european models?

Many thanks,
John Stanford

Chris Barnett
11-04-2008, 11:15 PM
John
Last year at Muncy, I looked at and almost purchased the 636 but decided on the 514X2 which I had delivered. Later I reflected that I had made an unrecoverable error by not buying the 636 for the extra height and larger bearings etc. Also, the 514X2 did not have the bear head wheels, but later saws of this same model did. I feel like I have been had, that I did not really get a 514X2. I have not used the Italian models, but believe the 636 is very strong (from a mechanical engineer's perspective anyway!). If you would like the 514X2, I have one available so I can get the 636.

Gregory Stahl
11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I feel like I have been had, that I did not really get a 514X2.

Is it just the bear head wheels that make you feel you did not get a true 514x2, or is there something else that has changed that I am not aware of?

I purchased a 514x2 and do not have the bear head wheels either. I don't know what the big deal is, it is not like I leave the doors open to show them off.

Greg Stahl

Chris Barnett
11-06-2008, 6:11 PM
Its the 514X2, no doubt. If wanted so badly though, I could have selected the 636 instead so bear head wheels are not that big an issue. The larger bearings and stronger trunion on the 636 do make for a stronger saw though.

John Stan
12-05-2008, 9:24 PM
Folks, thanks for all your help, After all the research I did on the best bandsaw for me, I purchased the G0636X. For me, based on my research and discussions with the MM rep, I felt the Griz was as good as or better than the MM16 and a fair amount cheaper. I ordered it on Monday and it arrived today. This thing is a beast. Now I have to figure out how to get it im my garage and set up. As packaged, it is 4 inches higher than my garage door opening. The castors from Great Lakes arrived today, and some blades from suffolk arrive next week. A key factor in my decision is that I know the Grizzly will stand behind their product (I am sure MM will also). Once set up, I will post a review.
-John

Mike Lipke
04-26-2009, 6:58 PM
John,
How do you like your bandsaw?
You have had it for a while, and I am in the market for one.

John Stan
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Mike,
So far I like the saw. It has done everything I have asked it to do. It resaws just fine and with a small blade is very smooth. Popular Woodworking gave it a favorable review this month.
-JDS