PDA

View Full Version : I voted! How about you?

James Jaragosky
11-04-2008, 7:34 AM
Well I voted! and I
Only had to stand in line for one hour.
I hope you all find the time to vote as well.

Casey Gooding
11-04-2008, 7:43 AM
I voted. No line at all!!!!
Of course, I voted absentee ballot.

Bob Childress
11-04-2008, 7:46 AM
Just got back. About 30 minutes in line. :)

Belinda Barfield
11-04-2008, 8:02 AM
Voted last Thursday and still had to wait an hour in line. But it was well worth it!

mike holden
11-04-2008, 8:02 AM
Me too!
I have earned the right to complain for the next four years! (grinnnn!)
Mike

Tyler Howell
11-04-2008, 8:08 AM
Did my part!!
No matter the results now the real work starts.

Heather Thompson
11-04-2008, 8:38 AM
I was there at 5:45AM, placed my vote and now we will see what the outcome is. In this household we watch both sides very closely and vote with our minds, my folks have voted the same way for as long as I can remember. I tried to have a discussion of the issues with my mom about a month ago, she did not have a clue of the opposing side and hung up on me, there is an informed voter for you. I try to look at politics as I do woodworking, sometimes the mortise and tenon, sometimes dowels, sometimes mechanical fasteners, but it is an informed choice and I do admit to making some mistakes.

Heather

Jim Becker
11-04-2008, 8:43 AM
Heather, there have been some interesting articles lately about family "differences" when it comes to political issues. I know that's one topic I avoid completely with my father! LOL

We're voting sometime in the middle of the day so that the girls can do the "kid's vote" thing. They don't have that available in the morning. So the younger is at "day off" care at one of the schools, the older is downstairs dancing to Indian (as in India/Bollywood) music, Professor Dr. SWMBO is at her office for a bit syncing her new iPhone and I'm dealing with some work things I need to, well...deal with...before we do lunch and then vote.

Mike Sheppard
11-04-2008, 8:44 AM
We voted absentee last week.
Mike

Dave Anderson NH
11-04-2008, 8:52 AM
Voted first thing this morning. No line, but a good turnout. With the polls open for 1 hour we had already exceeded the number of folks who voted in the primary. Here in NH, elections and campaigning is a blood sport.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2008, 8:56 AM
I will vote as soon as I get out of the periodontist's chair. Luckily they know me as my neighbor works at the voting booth for our local district. They'll believe me that I'm not enebriated and just under the influece of local anesthesia!:rolleyes:

It will be a historic election regardless of the outcome.

Ted Shrader
11-04-2008, 9:01 AM
My wife was in line at 0515 - twelfth in line. When the polls opened at 0600, the line was all the way around the building. My son is in the same line now, 0900. It is only about ¼ of the way around and moving. I will go during the middle of the day.

So, everybody GO VOTE!

Ted

Dusty Fuller
11-04-2008, 9:06 AM
This morning, about #20 in line when the polls opened. My wife was #19. And now I'm stuck working in the park office all day...

Mark Patoka
11-04-2008, 9:07 AM
We waited an hour and a half and there were about 200 people in line when our polls opened at 6.

Phyllis Meyer
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
We have one electronic machine (small town), there were 12 people waiting so I went ahead and did the paper ballot behind the curtain...cool!

Phyllis:)

Scott Kilroy
11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
We have one electronic machine (small town), there were 12 people waiting so I went ahead and did the paper ballot behind the curtain...cool!

Phyllis:)

I refuse to use the electronic voting machines.

Lee Schierer
11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I voted on the way to work. I arrived 5 minures before the polls opened at exactly 7:00 and was #101 to vote, the line was still out the door when I left. Normally I would be in the low 20's or 30's, so the turn out so far looks good. Took all of 25 minutes. The touch screen machines are faster than the people looking you up in the registers.

I hope everyone votes and then gets on with solving the problems instead of sniping at the winner for the next four years.

Joe Cunningham
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Couldn't even get to the parking lot. A complete and utter disaster zone, not a police officer or anyone to direct traffic.

Where were all these people when we had local elections last Nov?

Heather Thompson
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Couldn't even get to the parking lot. A complete and utter disaster zone, not a police officer or anyone to direct traffic.

Where were all these people when we had local elections last Nov?

Joe,

At least they are there now, let the people speak so we can move forward.

Heather

Mike Henderson
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Did the early voting and didn't have to wait. Now just looking forward to the results. An historic election!

Mike

Joe Cunningham
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Joe,

At least they are there now, let the people speak so we can move forward.

Heather

True, I am more upset with my local election organizers. They had to expect record turnout, so why have the same polling place with limited parking on a very busy road? And no one to direct traffic?

A lot of people won't be able to stand around in line for hours or even GET in line because of the poor planning.

Danny Thompson
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Been there; done that . . . last Wednesday. Something like 40% of all registered voters in my county voted early.

It's pretty much cast in stone, here: my county will go blue, my state will go red.

Heather Thompson
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
True, I am more upset with my local election organizers. They had to expect record turnout, so why have the same polling place with limited parking on a very busy road? And no one to direct traffic?

A lot of people won't be able to stand around in line for hours or even GET in line because of the poor planning.

Joe,

I undertand that frustration, would also be upset with the local officals, our polling place was way more staffed and very well organized. The line at our polling place was over 300 deep at 6:00AM, we were at about the 100 deep point and were out of there by 6:30. Our polling place is only a short distance, we rode our tandem and brought it in with us, (no secure parking for the bike), nice to feel the fresh change in your lungs as you ride home.

Heather

Bill Arnold
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I voted first thing this morning -- about a 25 minute process -- gave me the right to complain for the next four years.

I refuse to use the electronic voting machines.
What if that's the only option?

Nancy Laird
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I voted about three weeks ago by absentee ballot, but LOML decided to wait until today. He left the house at 6:30 to get to our precinct, which is about 5 blocks away. I haven't heard from him so don't know how long it took for him to get through the line, bu the early/absentee voting here in NM has been HUGE!!

Ray Schafer
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I voted on Thursday. No line!

Russell Tribby
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I go there at 4:30 this morning. At 4:45 I started forming the line. By the time they opened at 6 there were probably 200 people in line.

Brent Ring
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
50 Mins in Line, Was in line at 7:05, 5 mins after the polls opens. Long lines when I left. I hope everyone votes - we need a good turnout so that no one can complain.
;)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I got out of the periodontists chair at 0900. Got to the polling place at 0915. Our polling place is at the county fairgrounds. They had extra parking opened up and it's a good thing. Seems like a higher than normal turnout and that's a good thing!

Scott Wigginton
11-04-2008, 12:42 PM
We had a nice light rain to go along for the ride! I got there at 5:30 and there were about 200 people in front of me. By the time I got out of the rain there were several hundred behind me.

In total it took two hours.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2008, 1:24 PM
Nice to see that so many people are voting, kind of what you would expect from Creekers isn't it?

We had our Federal Election about three weeks ago, and I voted at an early polling station since I wouldn't be home on voting day.

I read something this morning about there being refferundum questions on many ballots in different areas of the USA. Could someone please give me a short description of what type of issues these would be?

(We don't have those in Federal elections here).

Regards, Rod.

Garth Keel
11-04-2008, 1:24 PM
Voting early is a great idea! Can you imagine the lines if everyone voted today? When you vote you do have the right to comment or complain. That's the first question I ask anytime someone starts to talk politics; Did you vote?

If not, I won't listen. ;)

John Schreiber
11-04-2008, 1:47 PM
Just got back. I waited about 25 minutes and most everyone was in a good mood and it was fun.

Chris Padilla
11-04-2008, 1:52 PM
I suspect the state of the economy is getting folks out there in hopes of making a difference!

My wife and I handed in our mail-in ballots this AM because we're too cheap to plunk down 60 cents a shot to mail the sucker in.

This is my wife's first major election to vote in since she became a citizen about 3 years ago.

Scott Wigginton
11-04-2008, 1:57 PM
I read something this morning about there being refferundum questions on many ballots in different areas of the USA. Could someone please give me a short description of what type of issues these would be?

Regards, Rod.

Our Federal electoins (President/Senate/Congress) often coincide with state elections (governor, delegates, sheriff, justices) and at times include state specific questions (referrendums).

The two major items on the ballots of other states were to 1) add language to the state constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman (ie. California's Porposition 8) and 2) define abortion rights.

In my area, we only voted on federal offices, but in the past we have voted on the creation of a local transportation authority and mandating a state lottery to pay for public education. Hope this explains things.

Mark Patoka
11-04-2008, 2:22 PM

Like Scott said, each state and/or county has specific issues to vote on in addition to President/Senate/Congress. In my county we only had to vote on a Transportation Bond to approve money to improve roads. In the state of Maryland, they are voting to approve slot machines/gambling in the state. It's something different every election, just depends where you live.

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2008, 2:38 PM
Scott and Mark, thank you for the explanations regarding the other voting items.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Cunningham
11-04-2008, 2:45 PM
Joe,

I undertand that frustration, would also be upset with the local officals, our polling place was way more staffed and very well organized. The line at our polling place was over 300 deep at 6:00AM, we were at about the 100 deep point and were out of there by 6:30. Our polling place is only a short distance, we rode our tandem and brought it in with us, (no secure parking for the bike), nice to feel the fresh change in your lungs as you ride home.

Heather

Ah that would have been nice. When I lived in California I could just walk to my polling place. I'd usually go before work (or even before having my morning coffee).

They must have gotten the message, because I went at 1:30 and they had someone directing cars to park. My voting district didn't have a line, so I was in and out quite quickly. Unfortunately there was an accident on one of the bridges over the river here, so traffic was backed up 10 miles.

Von Bickley
11-04-2008, 2:54 PM
We stood in line for 1.5 hrs. and voted to protect the RKBA.....
Our DIL waited in line for 3 hrs....

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2008, 3:14 PM
We stood in line for 1.5 hrs. and voted to protect the RKBA.....
Our DIL waited in line for 3 hrs....

Von, RKBA?????

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
11-04-2008, 3:33 PM

Example on our ballot today is a referendum to authorize a 1/4% tax to help fund the local ambulance service. Subscriptions no longer cover the costs for maintaining the vehicles and services due to inflation, etc. This is about a $12 per year impact on the average family unit and is based on real estate values. Passing it would allow the township to assess the tax starting in the 2009 fiscal year.
--------

Professor Dr. SWMBO and I (and our girls) went over to the township building at about 1:30p ET today to vote. There had been a long line earlier, but it had abated, so we parked and voted after lunch. While I was standing in the short line to sign in, the pole worker told me that of the 2200 or so folks registered to vote in our precinct, almost 1000 had already voted by that time. In fact, Professor Dr. SWMBO was the actual 1000th voter...I was #997. Based on this, I suspect that the percentage of participation this year in our precinct is going to be very high as there is always a large number of folks who vote near the end of the day after work. It will be interesting to learn what the actual number turns out to be.

Belinda Barfield
11-04-2008, 4:06 PM
I was there at 5:45AM, placed my vote and now we will see what the outcome is. In this household we watch both sides very closely and vote with our minds, my folks have voted the same way for as long as I can remember. I tried to have a discussion of the issues with my mom about a month ago, she did not have a clue of the opposing side and hung up on me, there is an informed voter for you. I try to look at politics as I do woodworking, sometimes the mortise and tenon, sometimes dowels, sometimes mechanical fasteners, but it is an informed choice and I do admit to making some mistakes.

Heather

Heather,

Not that this is a laughing matter, but you gave me a chuckle. I feel your pain. Unless my father changed his mind at the very last minute, I canceled out his vote. I'm sad that I feel my vote didn't
"count", but at least his didn't either. He has voted a party line for as long as I can remember. I had hope for him this year, but he caved again. I do believe there is another family out there looking for me! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2008, 4:25 PM
Belinda,

My wife and I don't always vote for the same candidate. My children and I don't always vote for the same candidate.

But....the only vote wasted is the one that isn't cast....IMHO.

And if you don't vote....IMO...You don't have a right to whine.....

Mike Henderson
11-04-2008, 4:32 PM

Regards, Rod.
The big referendum out here is the attempt to take away the right of gays to marry.

Mike

Ken Werner
11-04-2008, 4:51 PM
We live in a small town. Had to wait for one person in front of me to vote. I was very pleased to see young people [looked 18-20] voting. My son, away at college, filed an absentee ballot.

Dave Bender
11-04-2008, 5:39 PM
I voted yesterday (absentee), took the day off from work, and have spent most of today door knocking to get out the vote. Just taking a break now. In a few minutes I'll be driving a van to get folk's to the polls.

Andrew Derhammer
11-04-2008, 5:44 PM
Be it that i'm 15, no I didn't, but thank everyone that did, and I hoped you guys made a good decision for me!

Doug Shepard
11-04-2008, 5:55 PM
Spent about 40 minutes from start to finish this morning @ 8:30. According to the ballot counter I was #182. Fot yhe first time that I'm aware of, they had the voting for 2 different precincts in the same polling place. The line for the other precinct looked to be about 3x longer.

Dennis Peacock
11-04-2008, 6:55 PM
I voted....stood in line for about 4 minutes. Nice and easy. :)

Tony De Masi
11-04-2008, 6:55 PM
Waited til after the morning rush, left the house at 0915, drove the three miles, got in line, voted, drove the three miles back to the house, arrived at 0945. Not bad.

Tony

Von Bickley
11-04-2008, 7:25 PM
Von, RKBA?????

Regards, Rod.

Rod,

RKBA = Right to Keep and Bear Arms.... Our Second Amendment

Mark Hix
11-04-2008, 8:21 PM
Last week! Walked in, long line, offical came out and said "no waiting for a paper ballet" . I was out in 10 minutes. Some folks were still waiting on electronic. did not make sense to me, they all count the same.

Chris Padilla
11-04-2008, 8:31 PM
The big referendum out here is the attempt to take away the right of gays to marry.

Mike

Ah, good old number 8!! I didn't realize it was so close...I thought it would be a slam dunk NO on it but it seems to be quite close. Of course, I live pretty darn close to San Francisco.... :D

John Shuk
11-04-2008, 8:45 PM
I voted easy peasy. No lines no waiting.

Jeff Nicol
11-04-2008, 8:58 PM
We left the house at 7:10am voted stopped at the bake sale got some really tasty treats, walked home and in the door at 7:38am ! Real fast not troubles accept one lady read the bake sale sign and thought the polls closed at 1:00pm ! She made a fuss and then they told her that was the wrong sign! She was a bit embarrassed!!

Tomorrow will tell the tale of our votes................

Jeff