PDA

View Full Version : Berea KY - Woodworking in America - Creeker gathering??

John Keeton
11-04-2008, 6:40 AM
Anyone attending the Berea Woodworking in America show? For whatever reason, I was not aware of the show, although we live 45 minutes away.

But, it would be a great opportunity to meet a few creekers - maybe breakfast or supper? Are there any other KY creekers that might be interested in a get together?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2008, 8:27 AM
John.....are you so descriminating you'd only meet with Ky. Creekers?:confused::rolleyes: Wish I could be there my friend. Seems I remember some folks driving down from Indiana and some form Pennsylvania.

Alex Shanku
11-04-2008, 8:43 AM
Did you guys get registered?

I am on a wait list. But after seeing the price tag to admission, I may not attend even if I get the nod.

I live about 3 hours south, in Tennessee.

I have always wanted to meet Frank Klausz. I hope I am not missing my only chance. Oh well.

John Keeton
11-04-2008, 8:45 AM
Ken, I have a "worldview approach." Heck, I'll even break bread with ol' beat up oil rig workers - even broken down elkhunters. I'd even stoop so low as to meet up with westerners from Idaho!

Wish you could make it - your sister would enjoy a visit as well!

John Keeton
11-04-2008, 8:46 AM
Alex, I didn't get registered either, but would like to see the exhibits. I have a call in to find out if that is possible. Seems they would open the exhibits to more of the public than just registered guests?? $335 is a pretty good lick!

Mike K Wenzloff
11-04-2008, 8:58 AM
I suspect that this being the first go-'round for PopWood doing such an event, it was easier to keep track of who goes into the sessions by restricting the marketplace to session attendees. That and the location might not be conducive to being more overran than it will be. Having never been there, though, and not part of the decision making process I could be all wet.

While the sessions themselves are the centerpiece of the event, I think the interaction with attendees one-on-one at our spaces in the marketplace are vital for extending the talking to hands-on trying.

fwiw, being that it is a hand tool oriented event, I do believe people here mentioned in at least in the hand tool forum, but iirc, there were a couple posts in the general woodworking forum way back when it was announced.

PopWood also had announcements in the magazine--great if one gets it. Not so great if not. Even so, it sold out rather quickly as the venue would only support X number of folks.

If PopWood sees value beyond dollars, I expect to see this become a yearly event, much like the Colonial Williamsburg events (which also have a limited number of folks).

Take care, Mike

John Keeton
11-04-2008, 4:06 PM
Bump to see if any other responses.

mike holden
11-05-2008, 7:12 AM
John,
Would love to meet with you, but due to work, I will be flying down rather than driving.
That is, assuming you would greet a Yankee with anything other than buckshot! (grinnn!)
Mike from the state of Michigan

John Keeton
11-05-2008, 7:25 AM
Mike, no problem on the Yankee part! My New Jersey daughter-in-law already broke that barrier.

Would be great to get together and I will be glad to provide the transportation. Do you need any help with pickup from the airport?

Maybe we can get some more response and decide when and where. PM me with your cell phone or email address and we can start talking about options. We are north of Berea about 35 minutes, so it is an easy drive. Looking forward to it!

Mike, are you interested in supper one night? If we could get some daylight time, I will volunteer my wife's van for a couple of hours of Bluegrass tour to show you all some of God's country.

Also, sounds like John Dykes from Colorado is coming - posted on another thread. John, have you viewed this thread?

John Dykes
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Heya John.

Sorry - I've never been in the Off-Topic section, but the mods moved my post down here!

Yes, I'm flying in Wednesday the 12th. I grew up next to Fayette Mall, so I'm well familiar with God's Country! :) My parents still live at the same house in fact. Happy to meet with any and all. I know Wilbur Pan is going, and as I appreciate his advice, I'd like to shake his hand as well.

Some Woodnetters are having pizza in Berea on Thurs as well...

- jbd in Denver (but from Lex).

John Keeton
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
John, thanks for posting. I have some things scheduled for Thurs. and Fri. mornings, but could probably could get together any other time. Don't frequent WoodNet much, so I'm not familiar with some of those guys, but maybe between us, and with Mike Holden, we can encourage others to join in. Lookin' forward to it! We can work out details after we see how much participation we have.

Also, I don't mind hosting something at our place and can help with transportation. Just a thought.

mike holden
11-05-2008, 2:41 PM
John,
My wife and I are flying in to Lexington Thursday evening. We are renting a car so she can go touring while I am in class.
So, I would be available for something in the evening, Friday or Saturday.
Lunch in Berea on Friday or Saturday as well.
Open to suggestions.
Mike

John Keeton
11-05-2008, 6:33 PM
The schedule has registration on Thursday evening, with classes on Fri, Sat, and Sun morning. Supper any night would work for me, as would perhaps a get together Sunday afternoon depending on everyone's flight back home.

Mike, my wife is really into the sewing, crafts, embroidery, etc., and if your wife runs out of things to do, or runs out of money!, she might want to come to Winchester. Where are you staying - Lexington?

John, where are you staying and have you been in contact with Wilbur?

Mike Wenzloff, are you interested?

John Dykes
11-05-2008, 7:02 PM
Heya John,

Sunday might be best, but again - I'm open. I've not contacted Wilbur, I think he got into the (fully booked :( ) meet n greet at the Boone Tavern on Thrusday. I'll PM him - though I can't say I know him very well!

I'll be staying in South Lexington, (off Wilson Downing) near Fayette Mall (with the folks). My sister lives in the sticks around Richmond, I may grab a night w/ her as well.

I'm so late to the game, I still need to figure out where I'm going (though 1/2 my Mom's family graduated from Berea!).

- jbd in Denver

mike holden
11-06-2008, 7:25 AM
John,
according to our travel agent, we are stayin less than a mile from the college.
My wife is into sewing and knitting - best part is the cloth stash she has means she cant really complain about my wood stash!
Fri or Sat dinner is best for us, would prefer something closer to Berea, Lexington is about an hour away just looking at the map, we will be flying out Sun, late afternoon.
Mike

George Beck
11-06-2008, 7:32 AM
I will be attending. Hope to see ya'all (practicing for Kentucky, maybe I should say "I am fixin to attend").

George

Wilbur Pan
11-06-2008, 9:07 AM
John steered me to this thread -- sorry I missed it, but I don't really look into the Off Topic forum.

I'll be there. Planning to come in Thursday about dinner time, leaving as soon as the Sunday sessions let out. Friday night is full for me, but Thursday and Saturday look good.

John Keeton
11-06-2008, 12:39 PM
It's looking like Saturday night - is everyone OK with that? George, what about you and where are you staying? Once we get a night, we can work out details.

John Dykes
11-06-2008, 1:44 PM
Friday night is full for me

Rub it in Wilbur!

Looks like the Woodnetters are gathering on Friday too. Don't really know those guys either, but may have some pizza with them as well...

- jbd in Denver

mike holden
11-06-2008, 2:48 PM
Saturday is good for me.
Pull the trigger on the day, waiting for everyone to agree is like nailing jello to a tree.

Now we just need to determine where and when.

Mike

John Keeton
11-06-2008, 3:41 PM
Bam!! Trigger pulled - Saturday it is. Other than Boone Tavern or Cracker Barrel, Berea doesn't offer much in the way of restaurants. Boone Tavern has been on again/off again over the years, depending on who was managing the kitchen. I haven't eaten there in 3-4 years.

Richmond has Red Lobster and Sonny's BBQ, both of which are good. Unfortunately, no "local gems." Any of the above are OK with me. What are the thoughts? What about 6:30 pm?

John Dykes
11-06-2008, 4:57 PM
John -

6:30 it is... I'll follow you. :)

- jbd

John Keeton
11-06-2008, 5:29 PM
What about Wilbur, George and Mike Wenzloff? Are you guys in?

Also, how many ladies are going, or is it stag?
Do I need to provide some transportation?
Any preference from anyone on location?
Other creekers are welcome!

mike holden
11-07-2008, 7:30 AM
Sonny's BBQ sounds good. Sure that a Northerner's tastebuds cant discern the quality differences, and ANY Southern BBQ would be good! (the Whistle Stop Cafe excepted - "I feel I am real close to the killer. This is good barbecue. Can I have some more?") (grinnn!)
Put us down for two and please post the address so I can plug it into my GPS.
The classes end at 5:30, and what with a pass through the exhibits and such, how about 7PM?

Mike

John Keeton
11-07-2008, 7:46 AM
Sonny's at 7pm will work for me. Wife and I will be there a little early to get us a table, although on Saturday night it probably won't be bad. Seems Friday is the "goin' out to eat" nite around here. Location is
1041 Berea Rd
Richmond, KY 40475

(859) 624-4499‎

Mike, I will PM my cell phone # in case you need it. John Dykes, hope this works for you??

Still need to hear from Wilbur, George and Mike Wenzloff.

John Dykes
11-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Yup - Sounds good. Thanks John!

- jbd

Russ Kay
11-07-2008, 5:56 PM
I'm driving down to Berea from Massachusetts, arriving Thursday sometime, staying at the LaQuinta in Richmond, KY. I'd love to get together with others for a meal or other gathering. (I opted not to spend the $35 for the official cocktail party, seemed awfully pricey.) Open to ideas and suggestions.

BTW, after the conference, I'm driving to Asheville, NC, a place I've always wanted to go to but never been near enough to manage.

-- Russ Kay

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2008, 6:09 PM
I will not be jealous...... I will not be jealous...... I will not be jealous...... I will not be jealous...... I will not be jealous...... I will not be jealous......

It isn't working.........

I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!!:D

John Dykes
11-07-2008, 6:12 PM
Glad to have you Russ. I'm flying in from Denver on Wed....

John has this group rolling pretty good. Check out the Sonny's BBQ post above.

- jbd

Johnny Kleso
11-07-2008, 6:13 PM
For all you Yankee's if you go out to eat 99.9% of eating places give you unlimited Sweet Tea or UnSweet Tea with you meal.. Most places also give unlimited soda and other drinks as long as it comes in a cup.. Bottled drinks don't apply, like a can of soda or bottle of water..

John Keeton
11-07-2008, 6:36 PM
Johnny, had a friend tell me that some of the McDonald's up north are starting to sell sweet tea. Them Yankees are takin' everything sacred! First, they whip us in the Big War, then they start sellin' our sippin' bourbon north of "the line"- and now its our sweet tea! What will they want next??

Russ, can you make the Sonny's BBQ meet? Are you going to check out Gatlinburg on the way to Ashville, and are you going to take in the Biltmore Estate? The Smokies are worth seeing (not so much on Gatlinburg IMO), and Biltmore is worth the whole trip.

John Keeton
11-07-2008, 6:39 PM
Ken, I got a call from the show and they have some openings - DO IT! You know you want to!

I had already scheduled some things for Thursday and Friday after finding it was sold out, so couldn't take advantage of the opening. Sounds like a great event. At least I am on the list for upcoming shows.

We would love to share some BBQ with you!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2008, 6:58 PM
John,

I'd love to come but I have little doubt you'd throw it up to my face.....

I can hear you say........ ""I was 21 and had been in the Army for two years before I found out "_______ Yankee!" was 2 words."

I really would like to come but the LOML has all of our "extra" cash squirreled away for many sovenirs from our upcoming trip to be used as gifts for family and some dear friends.

And....I really am jealous! Enjoy!

Gene O. Carpenter
11-07-2008, 7:10 PM
[quote=John Keeton;961229]
My New Jersey daughter-in-law already broke that barrier.
I will volunteer my wife's van for a couple of hours of Bluegrass tour to show you all some of God's country.
------------------------------------------------------
John, Words spoken like a true Kentuckian! This fat old Kentuckian, Richmond & Wildie, hitched up with one of those Nu Joisey Yankee Spy's back in Dec 56. Took her down to Wildie just to see how people lived. Been stuck up here ever since.

And Kentucky really is Gods country!
My 5th great grandpa said the same thing back in 1780 when he and his two brothers (all three were Soldiers in the Revolution) stopped on the Hanging Forks by the Green River and said "THIS IS IT! THIS IS GOD'S COUNTRY, THIS IS HOME"! And there they built Carpenters Station..

I miss those dark nights with the bizillion stars twinkling overhead..I miss the ground fog rolling down out of the hollers early in the morning..
But most of all I miss those good laid back folks who on a hot ,hot day will call out from their porch "won't cha come n sit a spell"! Taint like that here in Joisey!
:) --------------- :) ---------------- :) --------------- :)
Ky Col. Gene

George Beck
11-07-2008, 7:38 PM
I'm in. I am driving down Thursday so no problem. Sounds great

George

Wilbur Pan
11-07-2008, 9:05 PM
What about Wilbur, George and Mike Wenzloff? Are you guys in?

Also, how many ladies are going, or is it stag?
Do I need to provide some transportation?
Any preference from anyone on location?
Other creekers are welcome!

I'm in. Although I'd vote against Red Lobster. There are a ton of Red Lobsters here, and it seems to me that if you're in Kentucky, BBQ is a better bet than seafood. ;)

Joe McMahon
11-07-2008, 9:26 PM
John, thanks for posting. I have some things scheduled for Thurs. and Fri. mornings, but could probably could get together any other time. Don't frequent WoodNet much, so I'm not familiar with some of those guys, but maybe between us, and with Mike Holden, we can encourage others to join in. Lookin' forward to it! We can work out details after we see how much participation we have.

Also, I don't mind hosting something at our place and can help with transportation. Just a thought.

I frequent WoodNet and we are having a pizza party at Woodmen of America Lodge, 117 Haiti Road, Berea, KYon Friday night. If you are around, drop on in.

John Keeton
11-07-2008, 9:30 PM
Gene, when they came up with the sayin' "You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy" - they were talkin' bout you!! Honestly, in my 60 years I have been to the 4 corners of this country and most of it is beautiful, but there ain't nuthin' like KY!

By the way, many years ago I used to rabbit hunt in the Hustonville area, pretty close to Carpenter's station. Some beautiful country in that area. The Amish and Mennonites have bought a lot of it, particularly on down in Casey County, and have some nice farming operations.

And the dark nights - I just came back in from the shop, and if I hadn't left the porch light on, don't think I could have found the house!

George and Wilbur - Saturday evening, 7 pm, at Sonny's BBQ in Richmond.

Other creekers, come if ye' can! And Ken, just for you, I will eat your part!!

Edited - Joe, appreciate the invite. Since settling on Saturday nite for this gathering, I made some other plans for Friday - maybe some of the others can make it.

whit richardson
11-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the posting link to this thread. Is this the same Mr. Wenzloff that is leading sessions at WiA?

Anyway Im trying to read through the postings here and see what's up. You folks are getting together on Saturday for dinner?

I'm not sure about then as the conference is hosting a BBQ dinner on campus Saturday with more meet and mingle too. But I may skip it since I'm set for the Tavern meet and mingle also.

I was one of those folks on the website the very minute they had this thing opened as I expected the hands on clinics to fill up fast which they did. Of course I also had my nice room all ready at the Boone Inn when they called to inform me that they were cancelling all the reservations because they were closing early. Nice!!

Please let me know if you folks are getting together any other times and or any decent places to get breakfast in Berea besides McD's.

Greg Salata
11-08-2008, 7:53 PM
I will be in attendance as well.
Driving in from Illinois.

Plan on being at the Woodnet gathering on Friday night.

Stop by if you get the chance.

Greg

John Keeton
11-08-2008, 8:38 PM
Whit, Berea has a Cracker Barrel if you would prefer that for breakfast.
Greg, come up to Richmond Sat. nite for BBQ at Sonny's. Looks like about 7 of us in attendance so far.

Mike Brady
11-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I'll be at the WoodNet gathering on Fri night, and if you see my name tag, please grab me and say "Hi".

Mike

John Keeton
11-09-2008, 4:56 PM
So far, sounds like creekers that will be at Sonny's BBQ Sat. nite at 7pm are - Mike Holden, John Dykes, Russ Kay, George Beck, Wilbur Pan, Mark Stutz, and me. Mike and I will have our wives with us.

Joe, Greg, Mike Brady - you all free Sat. nite?

Anyone that I left out? I'm sure there will be plenty of room, so please post if you can come. Thanks, and looking forward to meeting everyone.

Ralph Barhorst
11-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I will be driving down from Ohio on Thursday and staying at the Hampton Inn in Richmond

Would it be OK for me to have dinner with you guys on Saturday?

Justin Sipes
11-12-2008, 12:22 PM
If you guys are willing to tolerate a newbie Cincinnatian, I'd love to join you!

I'll plan on meeting up with you gents at Sonny's as long as my wife (with a baby due on 12/7) doesn't change my plans... :)

See you there.

Justin

David Gilbert
11-12-2008, 1:10 PM
I love BBQ and would like to join if there's still room.

See you at the conference.

Cheers,
David

John Keeton
11-12-2008, 1:34 PM
The more the merrier! Any of you have anyone with you - so we can have an idea on tables?

By the way, just got an email that some classes are still open and the registration at the door is being accepted. The email appeared to have an Excel attachment outlining the open classes, but I couldn't open it. Tried to call the 800#, but no answer. A reply email got bounced back with an "out of office" reply. No way of knowing which classes, or cost?? Anyone know anything?

Justin Sipes
11-12-2008, 2:54 PM
The more the merrier! Any of you have anyone with you - so we can have an idea on tables?

Nope, just me and my cell phone.

Thanks

Justin

Ralph Barhorst
11-12-2008, 3:04 PM
Thanks John,

I will be by myself. See you at the conference.

David Gilbert
11-12-2008, 3:13 PM
I'm all by myself (like the rest of you guys).

My cell phone is 585-477-4424.

Cheers,
Dave